View Diary: Could the 2008 Election be Like the 1932 Election? (Part 2) (218 comments)

•  Will it really matter if they continue to vote (6+ / 0-)

the way they have since 2006?

•  Look at the federal judiciary (6+ / 0-)

and ask yourself that question again.

The notion that not talking to people is somehow punishment to them is ridiculous. Barack Obama, July 23, 2007

by litho on Sun Dec 02, 2007 at 03:10:39 PM PST

•  Hmmmmm....good point.... (1+ / 0-)
        wu ming

if it weren't for DiFi on Southwick and numerous other 'Democrats' who have voted and will vote for winger judges.

This is not about 'party'.

It's about who gets elected and whose side they are on.

Not what they call themselves.

'I'm writing as Nestor since scoop in it's awesome wisdom won't let me use my real screen name: A.Citizen'

by Nestor Makhnow on Sun Dec 02, 2007 at 04:56:00 PM PST

•  If you have a Dem president (0+ / 0-)

then you don't need to worry about that.  And Feinstein will be probably out before the next President in 2016, she is old.

Don't like XOM and OPEC? What have YOU done to reduce your oil consumption? Hot air does NOT constitute a renewable resource!

by Asak on Sun Dec 02, 2007 at 07:44:29 PM PST

•  They're scared now AND (5+ / 0-)

they have an excuse to cave into their cowardly impulses... They get to blame their bullshit votes and limited successes on the obstructionist repubs this time around.

I believe with a stronger Democratic majority in both the House and the Senate, we'd see more progress. They would no longer be able to get away with caving into their more cowardly impulses and blaming the repubs when the vote against the interests of the people if we had a stronger Democratic majority in Congress.

Well, they could try... but I don't think those excuses would fly as readily if they no longer had the repub congress and bush administration on to blame for their cowardice.

I really care which of our Democratic candidates gets the nod for the presidency, because I'm not concerned that any of them will veto good legislation. I'm concerned about strengthening our hold on Congress, so that good legislation makes it to the President's desk in the first place.

"It is through disobedience that progress has been made, through disobedience and through rebellion." Oscar Wilde, 1891

by MichiganGirl on Sun Dec 02, 2007 at 03:20:27 PM PST

•  True, but this is news (3+ / 0-)

"And the Democrats are destroying the Republicans in the money race, which if it continues—which is likely—will take away what typically has been one of the Republicans major advantages. "

which, as far as our chances of getting the sort of change we're hoping for, I don't necessarily view as a good sign.

Alito. Kennedy. Roberts. Scalia. Thomas.
        More important than ever: ERA NOW!

by greeseyparrot on Sun Dec 02, 2007 at 04:02:24 PM PST

•  Good Post- Here's a Proposal (0+ / 0-)

I live in DiFi, Nancy, Barbara Boxer land.  I will remain true to Barbara forever- but Di and Nan have severely betrayed me.  It's easy to take potshots at HRC.  I remember being teeth-gnashingly frustrated with lots of things Bill Clinton did.  I support fielding progressive candidates to bump out any and all BushDems.

That said, I am tired of the sniping, carping, pissing, and moaning about this Democrat's or that Democrat's mistakes.

The Bushbot Dems will, as you say, find the strength to support a strong majority in the House and Senate with a Democratic president.  If they're scared lackeys for Bush now, then they'll be bolder lackeys when their own party has a wider margin, and the power of a Democratic executive supports them.  Bush will be gone and unable to frighten them any more.

Maybe it's time to back off on the "but she's rotten and he's rotten too" complaining and focus on unifying and steamrolling our way through 2008 and into 2009.  I hope the premise of this post is correct.  I will work to make it happen.

RFK Jr. for AG - Ask every presidential candidate: "Will You Appoint RFK Jr. AG?"

by NBachers on Sun Dec 02, 2007 at 07:50:52 PM PST

•  yes, in that (0+ / 0-)

with a fillibuster-proof majority, they will have run out of excuses to blame that failure to deliver.

i say give 'em the whole enchilada, and then hammer them to deliver. if they still don't, then we know that the party's beyond rescue, and act accordingly.

think of the 2/3 as giving them adequate rope. if they reform, then all the better.

surf putah, your friendly neighborhood central valley samizdat

by wu ming on Sun Dec 02, 2007 at 09:25:14 PM PST