View Diary: KY-Sen: Luallen out; Dems recruiting Mongiardo? (97 comments)

•  Yeah. (4+ / 0-)
    JR, Rolfyboy6, mcfly, brownsox

Especially given his position as the public face of the SCHIP veto, McConnell is ripe for the picking. Plus, KY just elected so many state-wide Dems.

It's frustrating. Just goes to show why we always need to be developing the "farm team."

•  Well, We Have (4+ / 0-)
      Rolfyboy6, mcfly, brownsox, kath25

the "farm team" in Kentucky, it's just that our best prospects seem to content remaining in the minors for now.

When I commented on this last night, I expressed my amazement that Stumbo would be talking up the possibility of moving from the Attorney General's office back down to the Kentucky House rather than the U.S. Senate.  A couple of Kossacks observed that the DSCC had invested heavily in getting Luallen to run, possibly out of fear that Stumbo has baggage that could dog him in a contect with McConnell.

•  I wonder if it's a ploy (0+ / 0-)

to get the DSCC behind his campaign.

"Back me now, get behind me now, fund me now, or I'm out".

Stumbo's a pretty canny politician. I wouldn't put that past him.

Joe Lieberman likes to be called an "Independent Democrat". I like being called a "sexual dynamo".

by Arjun Jaikumar on Sat Dec 08, 2007 at 11:44:24 AM PST

•  nope (0+ / 0-)

the DSCC can't stand Stumbo, too much baggage. and his internal poll #'s sucked.

•  I'm hearing his internals had him as top dem... (0+ / 0-)

...and the poll Kos had up here in November had Stumbo over 40% and holding McConnell under 50%.

The DSCC does seem to have a problem with him, but I'm not convinced his baggage is a dealbreaker for KY voters (hell, they elected him AG!).

The American people are competent. Why shouldn't the government be competent? The people tell the truth. Why should our government lie? -Jimmy Carter

by JR on Sat Dec 08, 2007 at 12:18:01 PM PST

•  I used to live in KY in the late 70-early 80's (1+ / 0-)
        The Maven

and there was politician from the mountains named Grady Stumbo.  I believe he even ran for governor nomination once.

Anyone know if Grady and Greg Stubmo are related?  IIRC, Grady was a pretty good progressive on a lot of issues.

"It's hip to be miserable when you're young and intellectual."--Carly Simon

by Buckeye Terry on Sat Dec 08, 2007 at 11:59:24 AM PST

•  nope (0+ / 0-)

dad was Harold, a judge

•  families do extend further than father-son (2+ / 0-)
            Buckeye Terry, brownsox

I'm pretty sure Greg and Grady are cousins.  And I think there's another one in there who ran for a judicial seat a few years back.

by JR on Sat Dec 08, 2007 at 12:22:58 PM PST

•  Pretty sure they are. (1+ / 0-)
          The Maven

They're cousins, from what I can tell.  People on the Bluegrass Report refer to them as the "Stumbo cousins."

by JR on Sat Dec 08, 2007 at 12:22:16 PM PST

•  Yep, according to the Cincy Enquirer (1+ / 0-)
            brownsox

[Grady] Stumbo, a cousin of state Rep. Greg Stumbo of Prestonsburg, is a former state Democratic chairman and two-time candidate for governor. He was human resources secretary in the administration of John Y. Brown Jr., in which Lunsford was commerce secretary.

"What a wild duet.  Still, they're cousins..."

Damn Nick at Nite.