View Diary: KY-Sen: Luallen out; Dems recruiting Mongiardo? (97 comments)

•  chuck (0+ / 0-)

wouldn't completely rule out fischer, but the Mongiardo one is made up, trust me.

•  I'd guess it was a quickdraw answer (0+ / 0-)

The antipathy of Schumer to Horne and Stumbo isn't exactly well-hidden, so when some flack at DSCC got asked who they were looking at now that their chosen horse is out of the race, they just reflexively named the '04 nominee/2nd highest-ranking Dem in the state.

I don't think Mongiardo is planning on running, but I think it's a sign of how unenthused Chuck is about supporting either Horne or Stumbo, since he's made his attitude towards their candidacies pretty obvious.

Fortunately for Kentucky, Chuck Schumer doesn't get a vote.

The American people are competent. Why shouldn't the government be competent? The people tell the truth. Why should our government lie? -Jimmy Carter

by JR on Sat Dec 08, 2007 at 12:56:34 PM PST

•  OK, I'm jumping in (1+ / 0-)
        JR

I'm a party yellow dog, I work very hard for my local and state party. I do the little and the big stuff. I've wanted to say this for some time but have held out hoping for some guidance. My point: I had never heard of Horne until he was mentioned on this site. I know nothing about him, have never seen him that I'm aware of much less met him. No one I know in the Democratic Party knows Horne. Maybe a little problem?

It's an election, Tim, not an auction . . .John Edwards 10/7/07

by OrdinaryGal on Sat Dec 08, 2007 at 02:45:59 PM PST

•  Do you live outside Louisville? (1+ / 0-)
          angelmom

I'm guessing that you do. Andrew's been making some appearances around the state with VoteVets, but he's really yet to scratch the surface of a statewide campaign.  Two years ago no one had heard of Andrew but he did a damn fine job getting his name out there during the KY-03 primary.  Yarmuth was tough - he started with a lot of name recognition, but Horne was constantly hearing about how much busier his campaign headquarters was.  Andrew was able to recruit a grassroots army around here, and he made significant inroads against a household name.

His 2006 staff has gone on to manage the statewide "coordinated campaign" and other party offices.

He's better positioned to put together a crackerjack team, and he'll be just as successful finding volunteers as he was last time.  I don't think starting out with a lack of name ID will be such an obstacle to be overcome.

"If you dig a hole deep enough, you'll get to China. We're there." - D. Kucinich

by winstnsmth on Sat Dec 08, 2007 at 03:12:32 PM PST

•  Yes (0+ / 0-)

I live in south central Kentucky. I don't want to discourage anyone's effort to unseat McConnell, but this gentleman should know that if I'm not familiar with him, then no one outside of Jefferson County is aware of him. I'm politically active and connected with activists and party leaders across the state, the Owensboro area, Lexington and very much so in eastern Kentucky.

I haven't begun to consider who may or may not be able to win, but Greg Stumbo is certainly no stranger to our area, he's very well known here. And, people like him. He's one hell of a speaker and a grassroots politician. As majority floor leader in the  House(how many years?? 12 or something) he's very seasoned.

It's an election, Tim, not an auction . . .John Edwards 10/7/07

by OrdinaryGal on Sat Dec 08, 2007 at 03:48:50 PM PST

•  honestly (1+ / 0-)
          angelmom

if you don't know who Andrew Horne is, you obviously don't follow KY politics.

There are many good KY political sites, go read 'em. it's fun, and good for you too.

•  LOL! (1+ / 0-)
            JR

I'm vice chair of my local party and just finished my role with the Beshear campaign. I worked for more hours than I can accurately state for both Mongiardo and other races. I attend meetings probably more than you do. Can't say for sure since I don't know you. But a lot!

It's an election, Tim, not an auction . . .John Edwards 10/7/07

by OrdinaryGal on Sat Dec 08, 2007 at 03:51:41 PM PST

•  And I need to clarify (1+ / 0-)
              JR

I'm not dissing your guy. Just not sure if someone totally unknown outside of your county can pull this off but that doesn't mean he can't do it.
              And you can either accept my point or remain in denial, we don't know him here. Yesterday I spent about two hours as a bellringer for the Salvation Army, for about an hour, a matriarch of politics rang the bell with me, she had never heard of him either. That's what you're up against. Like it or not.

It's an election, Tim, not an auction . . .John Edwards 10/7/07

by OrdinaryGal on Sat Dec 08, 2007 at 04:08:08 PM PST

•  Sorry you haven't heard of Andrew (0+ / 0-)

I live in Louisville and know exactly who he is...have known since December, 2005, but you are right to bring to light that you as an active Dem in south/central Kentucky have not heard of him.  Do you read www.bluegrassreport.com  or pageonekentucky.com?  Both great sites where you will find lots of info.  I have  a personal bias towards Andrew...hope you learn more about him and join the fight.  He IS worth fighting for and it will take all of us working together to Ditch Mitch!!