View Diary: Let's See The Secret Directives Bush SIGNED Authorizing Torture (190 comments)

•  The truth is of no interest to Bush (10+ / 0-)

Stalin didn't torture people to find the truth. He did it to intimidate the people he didn't torture.

Bush is much nicer than Stalin but they use the same methods for the same reasons.

"It's the planet, stupid."

by FishOutofWater on Sat Dec 08, 2007 at 03:52:01 PM PST

•  I have always felt (5+ / 0-)

that Stalin was truly his role model.

..."For beauty," I replied. "And I for truth,-the two are one; We brethren are"... E. Dickinson

by peagreen on Sat Dec 08, 2007 at 03:54:10 PM PST

•  I'm thinking more along the lines of Louis XIV (6+ / 0-)

"L’État, c’est moi"

Stalin wanted to eliminate all his rivals. Bush just wants them to do his bidding.

Do Pavlov's dogs chase Schroedinger's cat?

by corwin on Sat Dec 08, 2007 at 03:57:33 PM PST

•  And look how well it works (2+ / 0-)
          Troutfishing, peagreen

... on the compliant Congress Critters every time he throws a temper tantrum and demands up or down votes on his pet legislation....

All he has to do is threaten to veto, and the spineless jellyfish start talking about 'compromising for the sake of bipartisanship' so they can get something, anything, to be voted on in Congress.  They almost all do his bidding, like they've sworn a loyalty oath to him personally, not the Constitution....

Bluff and bluster works just as well as torture....

(¯`*._(¯`*._(-IMPEACH-)_.*´¯)_.*´¯)

by NonnyO on Sat Dec 08, 2007 at 07:02:31 PM PST

•  except for (0+ / 0-)

that sadistic streak.

by peagreen on Sat Dec 08, 2007 at 09:34:43 PM PST

•  of course for (0+ / 0-)

Bush I think it's le monde c'est moi.

by peagreen on Sat Dec 08, 2007 at 09:46:54 PM PST

•  hey ms pg (3+ / 0-)
        lysias, walkshills, peagreen

good to hear from you.

But Stalin was actually good at what he did:  he took the tools handed to him by the Soviet bureaucracy and developed a truly remarkable "aparat" that did pretty precisely what he wanted it to do.  Bush couldn't administer his way out of a wet paper bag.

Cheney actually has more in common with Stalin, I'd say:  years as a relatively uncontroversial factotum in the government, then emerging fully fledged as a totalitarian mastermind.

Whatever, didn't mean to go all pedantic.  Anything new and good in your world?

The truth shall make ye fret... -William DeWorde

by flagpole on Sat Dec 08, 2007 at 04:52:19 PM PST

•  well you do have the Russian knowledge (0+ / 0-)

but of course I said "role model". And of course you are entirely accurate. But Bush was a history major too, but what the hell does he know about that. Wannabe's are not usually good at what they admire. They just wannabe.
          Yes I just got back from attending a birthday party/campaign kick-off for for Mr Sayrs who was sitting in front of us at that conference (actually you met him). He is a great guy and candidate for county commissioner. He's my fave! Makes me very happy to support him.

by peagreen on Sat Dec 08, 2007 at 09:44:11 PM PST

•  no question (1+ / 0-)
            peagreen

having a role model doesn't mean actually managing to emulate him/her....or I'd be Pete Rose (perish the thought).

Unlike George, I learned something in my two history degrees (albeit not much, and have forgotten most of it).

Glad you are remaining engaged.  It's a little tough up here in the north woods:  I've been to a couple meetings in Okanogan, but am badly jammed-up on the house construction, plus holiday obligations and, to top it off, I burned the heck out of my ankle in a particularly embarrassing contretemps with a plumbing torch.  So I'm pretty much out of touch, including having no idea whether Dwight has managed to find a sacrificial lamb to go up against McMorris.  He was singularly unimpressed with me, apparently, so I guess I won't be saving the world anytime soon unless I trip over a couple million bucks to buy the race.

all best
            a

The truth shall make ye fret... -William DeWorde

by flagpole on Sat Dec 08, 2007 at 11:23:16 PM PST

•  lol! (0+ / 0-)

sorry about that little plumbing torch incident! God only knows what will happen with the little mis, she an accident that has happened and is going nowhere.
              good wishes to you too

• Marriage Equality (16)
  • Labor (16)
  • Media (15)
  • Elections (15)
  • Education (15)
  • Ireland (14)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (14)
  • Economy (14)
  • Republicans (13)
  • Josh Duggar (13)
  • Racism (11)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site