View Diary: KY-Sen: Horne in (71 comments)

•  This is great and all but McConnell is no Allen. (0+ / 0-)

Allen is an idiot.

McConnell is actually THE man vis-a-vis GOP success in the Senate.  Something tells me that a person with no electoral experience running against Mitch McConnell is NOT going to be like Webb running against the idiot Macaca.

I am hoping Stumbo gets in.

The Dems are like General McClellan, constantly asking for more and moving the goalposts on Lincoln. Now Dems say we need 67 senators for ANYTHING. Please.

by BoyBlue on Fri Dec 14, 2007 at 01:30:37 PM PST

•  I Think You Are Seriously Misunderestimating (2+ / 0-)
      angelmom, mikebailey2000

Lt. Col Horne.

You can have your "Under God" back when I get my "Liberty and Justice For All" back.
      KE - The Blog

by karateexplosions on Fri Dec 14, 2007 at 01:34:05 PM PST

•  Possibly. (1+ / 0-)
        wildcat156

I think it's hard to forecast what kind of statewide candidate he'll be, at this juncture.

Joe Lieberman likes to be called an "Independent Democrat". I like being called a "sexual dynamo".

by Arjun Jaikumar on Fri Dec 14, 2007 at 01:39:03 PM PST

•  Great diary, and my thoughts as a KY voter-- (2+ / 0-)
          angelmom, mikebailey2000

I'm a young, fresh-faced Democrat.  Right after graduating high school (Western Hills, Class of '04) I interned at KY Democratic HQ in my home town of Frankfort during the excitement around the Mongiardo campaign.  I'm still amazed at how close that was, and I'm sad it turned out how it did.  Anyone from the area understands how fluid the situation is.  KY has taken a turn toward the Republican party over the past ten years.  But as we saw in the gubernatorial election this past year, there hasn't been an all out revolt against KY Democrats.  Yes, it will probably be a long time before KY goes blue in the presidential election.  But the Democratic brand in KY is still strong, and I think Horne has the persona and the resume to take on McConnell.  I look forward to fighting this fight.  Yes, I personally was a proponent of the Draft Crit campaign.  But I think Horne has his own set of advantages that I know he will highlight.  It's gonna be a fight, but one that we're capable of fighting.

•  Exactly. (4+ / 0-)

On the flip side, though, Allen was in a better position at this point in 2005 than McConnell is now.

I expect McConnell to run a much better campaign, but I also think he's more "naturally" vulnerable, if that makes sense.

I frankly think it's time for Stumbo to make a decision, one way or the other. We haven't got forever.

by Arjun Jaikumar on Fri Dec 14, 2007 at 01:34:57 PM PST

•  worth remembering (2+ / 0-)
        brownsox, pickandshovel

I think that's a fair point. As time goes by it gets harder to remember, but around the mid-point of 2005, Senator Allen looked not only like a shoe-in for re-election; he was widely considered the likely consensus candidate to be the Presidential flag bearer for his party. People had bumper stickers made.

A Republican is a person who says we need to rebuild Iraq but not New Orleans. - Temple Stark

by Christopher Walker on Fri Dec 14, 2007 at 01:49:59 PM PST

•  I agree. However, Allen was not the Minority Ldr (0+ / 0-)

by BoyBlue on Fri Dec 14, 2007 at 01:58:53 PM PST

•  No, he wasn't (2+ / 0-)
          riverlover, homoaffectional

but he was a prominent national Republican and likely presidential frontrunner.

I don't think we can count on McConnell to make mistakes.

And we certainly can count on him to positively drown us in money.

It won't be easy, but it's surely worth taking a good shot.

by Arjun Jaikumar on Fri Dec 14, 2007 at 02:02:03 PM PST

•  I think you seriously underestimate how vulnerabl (3+ / 0-)

Micth's record makes him.

This guy blocked the repeal of the Republican-passed tax breaks for Big oil at a time when they were/are enjoying record profits. I dont think folks in Kentucky will like how Mitch passed those tax breaks for his big oil donors when they are paying an arm and a leg to fill up at the pump.

Bush recenlty hosted a swanky lobbyist fundraising dinner for Mitch in KY, making it easy to link Mitch to MR. 24%.

Mitch McConnell voted against an increase in children's healthcare (SCHIP) SIX times this year.

Mitch begged - that's right - BEGGED his fellow GOP Seantors to vote AGAINST the Webb/Hagel dwell time ammenment that would have gauranteed soldiers equal time at home as long as their deployments.

Mitch has consistently blocked attempts to fully fund the VA. Of course, he is all too eager to give fat tax giveaways to his big il donors.

He's voted aginst every Iraq withdrawl bill. I don't think the voters in KY will ike that very much.

-6.00, -4.41 "The foolish and the dead alone never change their opinions" - poet James Russell Lowell

by Deano963 on Fri Dec 14, 2007 at 01:53:12 PM PST

•  And that's just the tip of the iceberg on (2+ / 0-)
        homoaffectional, pickandshovel

the disgusting pile of crap that is Mitch McConnell.

by Deano963 on Fri Dec 14, 2007 at 01:54:26 PM PST

•  My knock isn't on McConnell's vulnerability, (2+ / 0-)
        brownsox, homoaffectional

but he's smarter than allen and won't make mistakes.  He's actually been frustratingly effective at his job.  In fact, i wish reid had half his talent or balls.

McConnell's state is inherently more Dem than Allen's was.  But, c'mon, Allen's an idiot who made a HUGE mistake in the campaign and never corrected it.  Don't count on that with Mitch.

by BoyBlue on Fri Dec 14, 2007 at 02:01:36 PM PST

•  Yes but McConnell's position as Minority Leader (1+ / 0-)
          mikebailey2000

makes him more vulnerable from the get-go, b/c his postion makes him obligated to literally support every single decision/poition that Bush takes. Basically everthing that Bush does McConeel will be easily linked to (and rightfully so) b/c of his leadership position.

And I disagree with you on one thing - Reid is far more intelligent than McConnell. Being an effective obstructionist does NOT an intelligent or talented minority leader make. I knkow it is hard to tell this given all the "Dems capitulate" press coverage that there is recently, but Reid regularly runs circles aorund McConnel in terms of Senate rules and procedure. McConnel knows how to obstruct - he has no idea how to lead effectively or advance positive change.

Just you wait and see how good a leader Harry Reid will be when he gets a majority with something like 57-58 Senate democrats, b/c we don't 60 Dems on every cloture vote as we'll still have those like Specter, Snow etc who can't vote 'NO' on every bill or they will lose their "moderate" image and popularity at home. He'll steamroll McConnell.

by Deano963 on Fri Dec 14, 2007 at 02:11:12 PM PST

•  Reid isn't entirely to blame... (2+ / 0-)
          mikebailey2000, BoyBlue

... it's total sellouts like Feinstein and Lieberman in states that they shouldn't be able to keep getting reelected in that undermine any Reid-launched efforts laden with "talent" or "balls".

Until Kossacks are successful in ousting these two and will do whatever it takes to get them out, we all share some of the blame that some of you would like to pin solely on Reid.

•  Stumbo would be a disaster (2+ / 0-)
      mikebailey2000, BoyBlue

Given the kind of campaigning that Mitch does, Stumbo has waaaay too much baggage, and seems VERY unlikely he will actually get in.  That leaves Lunsford (DINO) and Fischer.  Given the beating Lunsford took in the gubernatorial primary from the unions, I can't imagine he is up for that again.  So that leaves Fischer...we'll just have to see what happens there.

•  boo! (0+ / 0-)

I'd love for someone who didn't tie his fate to Bruce "i endorse Ernie Fletcher and give more money to Republican candidates than Democrats and dump patients from my nursing homes so I can maximize my profits" Lunsford.  Sorry.  Stumbo burned a lot of bridges with that.  I could vote for him in the general, but it's gonna take some 'splaining to get this Democrat to support him in the primary.

I can't be the only one that feels that way...

"A man of quality is not threatened by a woman of equality."

by flowrider on Fri Dec 14, 2007 at 06:05:14 PM PST

•  Stumbo is terrible. (1+ / 0-)
      mikebailey2000

People cringe when they hear his name.  Not because of his politics -- he truly advocates for KY, especially where he's from (Eastern KY).  Few people stand up for Appalachia the way he does.  Regardless, he's a bulldog with a chip on his shoulder.  He's perceived as a nasty, partisan hack.  I speak as a Democrat and a Kentuckian here.  Good politician, bad to run against McConnell.