View Diary: Why you should switch to John Edwards (197 comments)

•  Very funny - but they are the same, (15+ / 0-)

Check his remarks on the floor for the bills, and check the vote records yourself.

John Edwards is the candidate of HOPE, I will vote for JRE 2008! Join me for real change, not money or media hype, but real change for America.

by America08 on Fri Dec 28, 2007 at 06:02:28 PM PST

•  I've seen his voting records. (3+ / 0-)
      Better Days, Dumbo, Niniane

That is why this new John Edwards is such a shock to me.

Hillbot Model Number 76928492

by Rhoda Mae on Fri Dec 28, 2007 at 06:03:08 PM PST

•  Please stop (15+ / 0-)

If you arent going to post references and are simply here to disrupt then please be silent. If however you have specifics youd like to debate or even inform us about feel free to post them. Remember the references part.

I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just; that his justice cannot sleep forever TJ

by cdreid on Fri Dec 28, 2007 at 06:05:15 PM PST

•  Its all been explained here before. (1+ / 0-)
          Better Days

It's nothing new.

Hillbot Model Number 76928492

by Rhoda Mae on Fri Dec 28, 2007 at 06:06:33 PM PST

•  If you think a diary on KOS is enough for you to (6+ / 0-)

make up your mind, how about buying the golden bridge I am building in my backyard - it's really worth alot, you can plan your whole future on it.

Remember because you are reading me here on KOS, I must be telling you the truth about this Golden bridge that is so valuable that you can trust your entire future on it's worth.

PLEASE - THINK and RESEARCH FOR YOURSELF!  I am not putting anything for your to believe about JRE out. I am asking you to do your own reading and research and then make an education decision.  That's all! Nothing Hard - research for yourself, your future depends on it.  America depends on it.

by America08 on Fri Dec 28, 2007 at 06:14:14 PM PST

•  Let me get this straight (18+ / 0-)

You think Edwards was the most conservative candidate in 04 so you backed him.  He has become more aggressive about economic injustice and he changed his position on the war (just like Bobby Kennedy did in '68), so now you back a more conservative candidate (Hillary).  That's fine.  More power to you and good luck.

Just don't come and piss on our parade.

•  Good point. (9+ / 0-)

Bobby did change his views on Vietnam.  And Bobby talked about his change of mind quite candidly, in the manner of Edwards today.

In passing, I know in my heart Bobby Kennedy would have defeated Richard Nixon in 1968 -- the most important election in my lifetime.  One can only wonder "what if" had Nixon never taken office.

I view 2008 and the second most important election of my lifetime.  The looming crises of peak oil, global warming, recession, and globalization will require a President of enormous leadership and insight.  I hope I am not "what iffing" as I grow even older because 2008 may be our last chance for our progeny.

Unregulated Friedman market capitalism must be curbed. I think Edwards is the only candidate who fundamentally understands the need to attack -- yes attack -- concentrated corporate wealth and power.

•  How different our world would be today (8+ / 0-)

without the corruption of Nixon that led so many of us to distrust the government so much.  Now, Bush has taught that lesson to a whole new generation.  What if Bobby had lived and won?  What would our country, our world look like today?  We can't know, only imagine.

In the coming days and months, however, we can do more than imagine how to create the movement for strong progressive transformational change.  We can get behind the candidate who understands the fight that is ahead of us, and is ready to stand up for us and lead us to recapture our democracy.

I haven't agreed with some of what Clinton has said during this primary season, but this is one statement of hers I do agree with (forgive the paraphrasing here): Voters have the three choices: the one who will hope for change, the one who will fight for change, and the one who will work for change.  She's right there but misses the important issue.  We need to elect the one who will fight for change -- because we're talking about taking power away from people who will hold it zealously and wield it against all comers.

There is one candidate ready to fight for us and with us -- John Edwards.

There's going to be a rising ..., And it's going to spread across America, And it will be a wave of change that cannot be stopped. John Edwards

by edgery on Fri Dec 28, 2007 at 08:23:22 PM PST

•  I feel the same about the importance of this (3+ / 0-)
                cdreid, mattman, planetclaire4

election.  I wish it were not so, but I think this has SCOTUS riding on it, Iraq, Corpocracy and in general, so many things coming to a head, or rather, falling apart at once that I am unusually fearful of what more of the same will bring-and by that I don't mean even the last 7 yrs, even if you throw them out we're in trouble.

"I said, 'wait a minute, Chester, you know I'm a peaceful man.'" Robbie Robertson -8.13, -4.56

by NearlyNormal on Fri Dec 28, 2007 at 08:58:16 PM PST

•  I am again impressed by this commenter's... (3+ / 0-)
                cdreid, America08, planetclaire4

ability to look at the stakes and present them in a way that resonates with my own views.

Excellent comment.  I also believe we are running out of time on a variety of fronts.  We are going to leave our children hell on earth unless we change sooner rather than later.

•  Lol - in hit pieces... (7+ / 0-)

...which is what "most liberal" "least conservative" "most religious" etc. etc. voting analyses are good for.

Even the pro's put them out with multiple disclaimers. Too bad diarists don't do the same.

"The revolution's just an ethical haircut away..." Billy Bragg

by grannyhelen on Fri Dec 28, 2007 at 07:31:44 PM PST

•  Ultra partisans only then? (1+ / 0-)
          Niniane

It would be good to allow opposing viewpoints  without demanding more rigour than you would from a fellow supporter.

I have the same problems as the commenter and would like to hear a good answer without the snide insulting commentary that is already surfacing.

Otherwise this is just another partisan hack job.

The end game is the presidency not the nomination

by stevej on Fri Dec 28, 2007 at 06:16:09 PM PST

•  Argue (6+ / 0-)

With substance and links, not BS talking points and you may get some respect!!

Our country is in danger, not just from foreign enemies, but from our own misguided policies- RFK No priviledges for the truth- RDemocrat

by RDemocrat on Fri Dec 28, 2007 at 06:21:10 PM PST

•  There were no attacks in this diary (5+ / 0-)

And should you believe the posting is inaccurate or IF there is some stand or vote you disagree with edwards on of course feel free to post that But if you're here to start fights and post talking points without backing them up expect troll ratings. We've had enough. All of us not just edwards supporters. This isnt about "winning" or proving "My guy is great yours is evil". It is a discussion amongst people of good intention. If you arent one of those people then get the hell out or expect lots and lots of troll ratings.

by cdreid on Fri Dec 28, 2007 at 06:23:14 PM PST

•  Good luck in your search of absolute perfection (20+ / 0-)

While I don’t agree with all that Matt Bai, of the New York Times, has written in his piece, it explains Edwards' approach:

About a month after the 2004 election, Edwards met with his most loyal advisers at his cluttered home on P Street in Georgetown. It was assumed he might run again, and the question facing Edwards was how best to spend his time, intellectually and politically. There was talk of a foreign-policy study group, or maybe something to do with education, another huge issue for Democrats. It was Elizabeth, hearing Edwards expound yet again on poverty, who finally pushed these other suggestions aside. What Edwards clearly cared about most, she said, was poverty. She knew her husband better than anyone, and she knew that poverty was the issue that really lighted him up during the campaign, the one he had brought home with him and railed about in the privacy of their kitchen. Maybe it wasn’t the most exploitable issue in Democratic politics, but if that’s what animated Edwards, why shouldn’t he just go out and do something about it?

Edwards set up a center to study poverty at the University of North Carolina, which he visited about once a week. He traveled the country and the world — India, the Middle East, Uganda — and convened conferences of all the brightest antipoverty experts on the left. At the same time, he took on an assignment to lead, along with the former Republican housing secretary Jack Kemp, a commission on Russia policy for the Council on Foreign Relations, and he took a well-paying job at a hedge fund in New York. As he grew more comfortable in his new roles, Edwards stopped returning the calls of all the campaign consultants who once ruled his routines and his rhetoric. When I saw him for the first time since his 2004 presidential campaign, at a Chapel Hill cafe in January 2006, he seemed to me a changed man — liberated, self-assured, a little defiant.

"I saw the difference in the way people responded to me when I was talking from here," he told me that day, patting his heart, "and not from here." He raised a finger to his head. "Just being myself and standing up for what I believe, and not being coached and not being consulted, is what it’s all about." He derided all the "phoniness" in Washington and talked about the scores of poor neighborhoods he had been visiting on his own. "With just a few breaks the other way, I would be sitting where these people are right now," he told me. "I know it sounds corny, but when I can’t sleep at night, I get these pictures in my head of all the people I’ve met. I wonder what more I should be doing."

Exiling oneself from Washington and being subsequently reborn as a more candid and compassionate politician is an old and popular plotline in Democratic politics. Robert Kennedy built his legend on the same idea in the mid-1960s; more recently, Bill Bradley and Al Gore have adopted similar themes. Edwards clearly sees himself in this vein, and his conversion appears to have been sincere, if not entirely original. His campaign this time reflects a pronounced aversion to being stage-managed. Some of his loyalists from 2004 remain, mostly in informal advisory roles, but there is no single über-strategist like Bob Shrum, who plotted Edwards’s strategy in his Senate campaign, or David Axelrod, who advised him during his last presidential race and is now steering Barack Obama’s campaign. The operation itself feels chaotic and decentralized, with John and Elizabeth Edwards making an unusual number of mundane decisions themselves. Edwards seems to have determined that, this time, he and Elizabeth will do the scripting.

I hope you find that superhuman, perfect candidate somewhere.

Every candidate has a history that includes some positions or votes I don't like.

For example, Hillary voted against the Kerry-Fiengold bill to put time restraints on the war in Iraq. Obama also voted against the bill. They both voted to fund the war. There were other disturbing bills as well, such as the Obama-Bunning Coal-to-Liquid Fuel Promotion Act of 2006 (S335), among others.

Kucinich voted in favor of restricting abortion rights awhile back.

Richardson supported NAFTA.

And so it goes.

Edwards has done something that is considered to be very risky in politics: He's decided to be honest about his past mistakes, such as voting for the war authorization for Iraq. He's decided to shirk off the consultants' and advisors' attempts to shape him into something he doesn't want to be.

He's decided to go with his heart as well as his mind. If you listen to him, see him speak in person, follow his statements, consider his phrasing, not just what he says, but how he says it--it should become clear Edwards is a genuine, authentic person who feels very strongly about his message.

•  What grown up do you not want to see (2+ / 0-)
            cdreid, planetclaire4

as responsive to experience?  We call that "learning," and it's a wonderful thing to see.

Je suis inondé de déesses

by Marc in KS on Fri Dec 28, 2007 at 08:47:58 PM PST

•  Seen a voting record? WHere here in a (5+ / 0-)

diary by another candidates supporter?

That is not reviewing and researching it for yourself, that is being led like a sheep!

Try studying it yourself - it is not that hard.

by America08 on Fri Dec 28, 2007 at 06:09:06 PM PST

•  Well... (12+ / 0-)

Its your god-given right to vote for whoever the hell you want. Smearing Edwards in this positive diary wins you no respect for me.

Go ahead, House, hair, hedge fund. There I said it for you!!!

by RDemocrat on Fri Dec 28, 2007 at 06:09:12 PM PST