View Diary: Political tripe in an Arizona barbershop. (55 comments)

•  next time try (3+ / 0-)
    homogenius, rage, Dianna

I am sure there is a SuperCuts down the road somewhere if they don't like what you have to say.

Haven't we sat silently by enough?

I got tased in "The Great Markos Candidate Meltdown Cranky Pants Sting of Ought 7TM"

by MadAsHellMaddie on Sat Jan 05, 2008 at 05:46:51 PM PST

•  I wouldn't get my hair cut in a corporate (1+ / 0-)
      rage

SuperCuts if you paid me.

•  So the lady who gets 7 bucks an hour (1+ / 0-)
        homogenius

at supercuts still needs to eat.  I would pay her instead of hanging out with uninformed racists.  Really weak.

by MadAsHellMaddie on Sat Jan 05, 2008 at 06:03:06 PM PST

•  There are other barbershops besides the one I was (0+ / 0-)

in and SuperCuts, which is well-known for the dismal quality of their hack job haircuts.

And where do you come to the conclusion that I'm "hanging out" with racists? All I did was go into a barbershop to get a haircut and overhear a conversation.

Weak yourself.

•  I didn't say you were hanging out with racists (0+ / 0-)

but if I had heard what was reported in this diary and didn't want to speak out I would never go back to that place.  I would have walked out.  But that is just me.

by MadAsHellMaddie on Sat Jan 05, 2008 at 06:16:27 PM PST

•  Yes, you did say I was hanging out with racists. (1+ / 0-)
              rage

I would pay her instead of hanging out with uninformed racists.  Really weak.

•  You WERE hanging out with racists. (0+ / 0-)

You gave your tacit approval.

You didn't have to take them all on single-handedly, but you didn't have to remain in that seat and give your silent assent.

Bull. Fucking. Shit.

Your life begins when you are born, but your life story begins at that moment when you discover that you are in the wrong family. (Phillip Pullman)

by homogenius on Sat Jan 05, 2008 at 08:41:51 PM PST

•  It would have been great if you could (0+ / 0-)

have been at a Republican dinner party I had to go to a fews months back (family obligation).  I had to sit and listen to bull all night.

In all seriousness, I like your comment and will keep it in mind next time I'm in a situation like that.

•  Time and place. (1+ / 0-)
                    Dianna

There have been times where I have bitten my tongue, or commented selectively. Earlier this year, my Uncle from Oklahoma and his right-wing evangelical friend came out to help me clear out my elderly mother's house. They were anti-Clinton, knee-jerk fundies. I held my tongue for most of the time, but at our final lunch before they left town I questioned some of their assumptions. I challenged their unjustified Clinton-hatred. I questioned some of their attacks on religious leaders they judged to be "not-fundie-enough". But I left it at that.

On the other hand, there are places I will not be invited back. I have ripped people a new one for defending Nader. I have  shit in the punchbowl when people mindlessly parroted Lush Rimjob.

It all depends on the situation. I don't want to piss people off just for the hell of it. But I'll be damned if I'll listen to bullshit like that and pay for the privilege.

by homogenius on Sat Jan 05, 2008 at 09:33:32 PM PST

•  So you choose the time and place to be a (0+ / 0-)

fucking hypocrite? Level charges against me for "hanging out with racists" for the simple fact that I overheard a conversation In the middle of a haircut, yet state that you sometimes choose to bite your tongue and "don't want to piss people off just for the hell of it".

You've got fucking nerve.

•  You don't have a fucking clue. (0+ / 0-)

As I said TWICE: I refuse to sit still and pay for the privilege of listening to that bullshit. So what--you're saying that I'm a hypocrite some of the time and YOU'RE a hypocrite ALL of the time?

No, I "don't want to piss people off just for the hell of it". I think I made it clear that I consider what is appropriate and what I can realistically accomplish. Just what part of the concept of "time and place" don't you get?

by homogenius on Sat Jan 05, 2008 at 10:17:40 PM PST

•  Obviously you DO choose to sit and listen (0+ / 0-)

to bullshit, as you've readily admitted. You also have admitted choosing a "time and place" for confrontation, but criticize me for doing the same. And how does overhearing a conversation in a barbershop on one occasion translate into "being a hypocrite ALL of the time"? Please explain. If I'm not mistaken, I never criticized anyone for doing something I've admitted to doing myself.

What part of "hypocrite" don't you understand?

•  Give me a fucking break. I hardly (1+ / 0-)
                  Dianna

gave my tacit approval. My particular barber wasn't involved in the conversation. These people are independent contractors who happen to work in the same establishment.

And I hardly think that overhearing a conversation while I'm in the middle of a haircut is "hanging out" with racists.

I certainly learned from the visit and won't return to the establishment. But I'm not too bitter and angry that I have to shout down every fool I encounter. If that were the case, I be doing nothing else.  And that would start with you for making such an outlandish charge in the first place.

I choose the time, place, and method to take a stand. And you leveling charges against me for overhearing a conversation in a barbershop is the height of idiocy.