View Diary: More evidence of Obama's national surge (239 comments)

•  P.S. - I read . . . (0+ / 0-)

your interpretation of how "tough" you thought he was/might be, then saw how "unification" was the name of the game.  Wha?

It was a nice essay, but told me nothing.  But Obama, in his own words, is all about hope and hopefulness and hoping... gad.

BenGoshi
    ____________________________________________________

The distinction that goes with mere office runs far ahead of the distinction that goes with actual achievement. H.L. Mencken

by BenGoshi on Mon Jan 07, 2008 at 04:23:13 PM PST

•  what are you going to do, though (2+ / 0-)
      BenGoshi, journeyman

when he wins? are we screwed with an empty candidate?

All extremists are irrational and should be exposed

by SeanF on Mon Jan 07, 2008 at 04:31:03 PM PST

•  I'm afraid so, to a great degree. (1+ / 0-)
        Alexander G Rubio

I think that Obama would (could) be very, very, very good with foreign policy.  He'd be a breath of fresh air, as would Edwards, Richardson and Hillary.  So, no criticisms of any note there.

On domestic, yes, I'm afraid that unless he changes his tune, and finds his spine, but fast . . . well, the Monster Corporations'll just laugh at all his "let's just get along" stuff.  Sounds nice, but is utterly meaningless when going up against the interests of the mega-powerful and hyper-rich.

BenGoshi
        ____________________________________________________

by BenGoshi on Mon Jan 07, 2008 at 04:39:36 PM PST

•  here's the obama mystery (6+ / 0-)

you are confusing his campaign rhetoric with his negotiating style. As far as I can tell, we don't know what his negotiating style is. That was always Hillary's strength, at least we knew how she'd operate.

So as opposed to calling Obama an empty shirt, I'd say he's more of a gamble. Then again, so is Edwards. And to be fair, so is Hillary to an extent.

Here's what Obama's blue sky rhetoric does get us though, and I think you and others undervalue it: the true possibility to generate political will where others couldn't. That's gigantic. He may also have the ability to change the terms of the debate, and by definition, create a better set of options from which to negotiate from.

So I dunno, I understand the skepticism, but I'm totally excited by the possibilities cuz the upsides are pretty big.

All extremists are irrational and should be exposed

by SeanF on Mon Jan 07, 2008 at 04:54:17 PM PST

•  actually we do know about his negotiating style (1+ / 0-)
            SeanF

from his experience (which his extensive) and he is extremely effective.

I love Edwards' anti-corporate talk, but it's still talk. While the President can readily give power to the corporations, as Bush/Cheney has done, it's not so easy for the President to wrest power away from them.

•  I like Edwards (1+ / 0-)
          Miles in WesternWA

and would absolutely love to see him as Obama's VP or AG, but it's a bit hypocritical to slam Barack as not being tough enough on corporations.

Ever heard of Fortress Investments?  Ya know, that hedge fund that Edwards made $500K from as a consultant and invested anywhere from $5-16 million?  The one that made millions providing subprime mortgage loans to victims of Hurricane Katrina?  The one that held a million dollar fundraiser for Edwards in March?

Again, I like Edwards a lot, and would be happy with him as President, VP, or AG, but don't bash Obama's anti-corporate rhetoric as empty while quoting that of Edwards.

•  the problem is (1+ / 0-)
            nicolas

that whatever Edwards says.....we hear almost the same things from Obama wiht a few choice words changed.  essentially....the same thing with a slight twist.

A joke I read the other day is that Edwards has to stay in the race otherwise Obama won't have any new material.

Almost everyone admits that Edwards has driven much of the discussion and pulled the field futher left but no one is acknowledging that Obama is co-opting some of Edwards's message and profiting from it.

Biden was barred from a race for plagairism!  At the very least I would hope that the press will start picking up on this IF ONLY so that we can hear original thoughts from this candidate that seems to have the nomination sewn up (if his supporters are to be believed.)

Personally, I see Edwards gaining both in NH and nationally and remaining viable.  Once the blush is off the rose with this Obama juggernaut, and deeper questions begin to be  asked is when this will truly become a two man race where I can compare and contrast the candidates.

At that point I will say = let the best man win.  But not until then.  at this point....I'm VERY skeptical of him as a candidate and far more skeptical of his wide appeal.

We choose hope over despair, possibilities over problems, optimism over cynicism."John Edwards

by oaktav on Mon Jan 07, 2008 at 06:12:08 PM PST

•  except, Goshi (2+ / 0-)
          jqb, Miles in WesternWA

what about when a president has an entire nation's backbone behind him? When ppl en masse are moved to move for or against a policy, a politician, a corporation? What say you about that power?

A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves.

by charlestown dem on Mon Jan 07, 2008 at 06:08:41 PM PST