View Diary: Support California Bill to Stop U.S. Torture Collaboration by M.D.s & Psychologists (23 comments)

•  Shouldn't professional org be allowed to decide (0+ / 0-)

for themselves without the interference of politicians what is ethical for them? If I were a physician or psychologist I sure as hell wouldn't want a bunch of unqualified career politicians making decisions that I would be far more qualified to make.

He who can destroy a thing, controls a thing - Mua'dib

by Shane Hensinger on Wed Jan 09, 2008 at 06:33:51 PM PST

•  It looks like (3+ / 0-)
      Valtin, jayden, Fallon

Ca wants to shield those professionals from being involved in illegal activities by the federal gov't.

Who'll stop the rain?

by jhop7 on Wed Jan 09, 2008 at 06:39:03 PM PST

•  Perhaps (2+ / 0-)
        jhop7, Fallon

But I do think Ridley-Thomas is acting from principles and idealism, not solely to protect, say, California's psychologists. And if plays well to his political base, well, then, all the better for him. (I don't really know if the latter is true, but may be the cynicism in me leaking out.)

In any case, I salute Senator Ridley-Thomas. Precious few politicians seem willing to stand up to the military-intelligence machine these days.

•  Would that (1+ / 0-)
          Valtin

be such a terrible thing?  Our leaders have been promoting an atmosphere of fear, secrecy, and uncertainty for so long now, maybe it's time to stand up on principle again.

Who'll stop the rain?

by jhop7 on Wed Jan 09, 2008 at 07:08:30 PM PST

•  It's not a question of ethics (3+ / 0-)
      Valtin, nonnie9999, Fallon

It's about breaking the law.

American Christians are becoming less of either

by jayden on Wed Jan 09, 2008 at 06:40:42 PM PST

•  The professions you mention (6+ / 0-)

have been unable to stop participation in unethical activities by their members. States, by the way, are allowed to set restrictions and write laws on the activities of professionals licensed in those states.

Do you feel the same way about laws that restrict the right of doctors to sleep with their patients? Or about laws that restrict the amount of time a doctor can hold a person in a locked mental ward without their approval?

I am a psychologist/health professional, and I approve of this proposed legislation whole-heartedly.

•  Good for you (0+ / 0-)

I hope you welcome whole-heartedly governmental interference in other medical options - like abortion and the prescribing of contraception too. After all - states may soon have the right to decide those choices too!

He who can destroy a thing, controls a thing - Mua'dib

by Shane Hensinger on Wed Jan 09, 2008 at 06:47:58 PM PST

•  Here's the problem (2+ / 0-)
          Mary2002, Fallon

Either you eliminate all state interference in the realm of the professions, and I mean all professions, or you allow it. Then the question is what types of interference and regulation do you allow? It is a logical fallacy and an over-simplification to cite the instances you do as the reductio ad absurdum of my stance. These are issues that need to be fought out on a societal level, but to relegate it to all a simplistic formula, and then tie it in to something as incendiary as the abortion issue is, IMHO, mistaken.

I share your pessimism, by the way, about state intervention. But I don't reify the issue. You may also note that I don't think any such resolution would have much practical effect. I see it as a political blow, pure and simple.

•  Torture is a violation of the Geneva Conventions, (3+ / 0-)
      Valtin, third Party please, jayden

International Law, and our Constitution, all of which specifically prohibit torture.  Should the APA determine whether their members should be allowed to torture?

•  We're talking (0+ / 0-)

about the legislature. Any violations of law would be dealt with by the state board and the appropriate authorities.

Fallacies aren't helpful.