View Diary: Perspective On Health Care Reform (166 comments)

•  No one is willing to say (1+ / 0-)
    KeepingItBlueKrstna

In the plans I have modeled I have used 2-3% of household income up to the social security cap (right now about $97000 per year).  For those with incomes below 150% there was no premium.  And the rate increased as income increased.

Some people have suggested 5 or 6%.  Anything much above that is not going to be affordable.

By definition, spending 10% of your income on health care qualifies you as being underinsured.

So the best guess is somewhere between 2-9% of household income (with income capped based on the Social Security tax wage cap).

Health care is a human right.

by Helenann on Fri Jan 25, 2008 at 08:36:41 AM PST

•  underinsured? (1+ / 0-)
      DemFromCT

I'm confused by this statement.  To me underinsured would mean you don't have enough healthcare insurance, not that you're spending a greater percent of your income for it.

What America needs is a Ron Paul enema -- Ralph Nader

by indyWillie on Fri Jan 25, 2008 at 09:07:19 AM PST

•  If you have to spend an excess amount (0+ / 0-)

of your income to afford sufficient insurance then then you are still underinsured because healthcare costs for a family includes not only direct health services costs but also insurance premiums, deductibles and copays. (so long as you don't count the same cost twice)

•  Right (2+ / 0-)
        DemFromCT, otto

But the policy wonks, like me, need a way to estimate how many people are underinsured.  And, at the moment, if you have insurance AND you spent more than 10% of your annual income in the last year on health care, you are labeled underinsured.  It means you spent a significant portion of your income on health care costs even though you had insurance, It means that your insurance either didn't cover your treatments or refused to pay for them.

Health care is a human right.

by Helenann on Fri Jan 25, 2008 at 10:46:33 AM PST

•  I still don't see how that works. (0+ / 0-)

If I spent 10% of my income on premiums and was fully covered for everything, that wouldn't make me underinsured.  It would just mean that I either make to little, or that the insurance premiums are really high.  I don't like that word "underinsured".

What America needs is a Ron Paul enema -- Ralph Nader

by indyWillie on Fri Jan 25, 2008 at 12:02:34 PM PST

•  Yes (0+ / 0-)

It would make you underinsured.  You had to spend more than 10% of your income on health care.

Maybe the word underinsured isn't a good one.  I don't like the definition that much either.

Please come up with a new term with its own definition.  Clearly underinsured is not doing a very good job of capturing the problem.

Health care is a human right.

by Helenann on Fri Jan 25, 2008 at 12:16:58 PM PST

•  I didn't get it at first either (0+ / 0-)

It actually is a way to measure whether you're underinsured or not. He's not reading the word AND in the sentence you wrote.

It didn't make sense to me at first, but now I get it.

If I carry health insurance, AND I'm still spending 10% or over on my healthcare needs, then I am underinsured.

It's worded correctly, but it requires attention to the conjunction in the sentence.

"We are Healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane." Kilgore Trout

by otto on Fri Jan 25, 2008 at 03:22:24 PM PST

•  Ron Paul needs a racism enema. (0+ / 0-)

Stay angry at injustice.