View Diary: Prison Rape is Funny... Right?? (191 comments)

•  Read . . . (4+ / 0-)

we never would have heard about it.

Except she is, so a bunch of tools received an email telling them to post this and now we need to endure this crap.

Some advice: Travel lightly.

by dbratl on Mon Jan 28, 2008 at 08:17:04 PM PST

•  I received no emails... (3+ / 0-)
      ek hornbeck, lineatus, bottsimons

but saw an article available to all on the internet.

The subject of a game named "Don't Drop the Soap" and its endorsement by Gov. Sebelius made me wonder about a lapse in judgement... no more, no less.

You can argue all you want about a Clinton conspiracy, but (at least in this case) it's not true.

"I prefer someone who burns the flag and then wraps himself in the Constitution than someone who burns the Constitution and then wraps himself in the flag!"

by SomeStones on Mon Jan 28, 2008 at 08:29:28 PM PST

•  This is how it worked last night too . . . (0+ / 0-)

A few of us aggressively challenged a series of obviously planted, bogus diaries about how concerned these people were about the poor disenfranchised citizens of Florida.

The posters initially didn't respond and then responded in a coordinated fashion all at around the same time.

Its transparently obvious Clinton-orchestrated crap.

It figures that Clinton tools even need to coordinate their blog responses with central command before pressing send.

Look, let me be the first to tell you, we're on to you.  And not only that, we are going to beat you, and not only that . . .

. . . When we do beat you, there will be nothing - I repeat NOTHING for Clinton staffers.

You want a career in politics.  You have one choice, jump ship now because you guys are fucked if you lose.  People have long memories.

Some advice: Travel lightly.

by dbratl on Mon Jan 28, 2008 at 08:36:30 PM PST

•  Wow (4+ / 0-)

I guess you don't share your chosen candidate's views on coalition building, eh?

•  Sorry... you are wrong, at least in this case. (6+ / 0-)

While I prefer another candidate, my diary was based only on what I said and has no connection to any candidate running for President or any other office.

Rape. Jokes. Are. No. Laughing. Matter.

by SomeStones on Mon Jan 28, 2008 at 08:51:11 PM PST

•  I'm sorry (4+ / 0-)
          jxg, ek hornbeck, SomeStones, lineatus

But that's seriously enough.  Is the claim legitimate, or not?  That seems to be the salient point.  I support Clinton but that doesn't mean I grasp at straws to defend her (at times) indefensible actions.  Worse, this isn't even about Obama. If it doesn't matter to you fine - say so.  But making the diarist's issue about whether we should be condoning prison rape jokes about Obama?  You're seriously going to sit there and tell me that it's ok, on a progressive blog, to joke about rape?  Rape?  This place isn't fucking Redstate.

Do any of you making light of this, or translating it to an attack on Obama, know anyone who's been raped?  A cousin, sister, or mother?  Have any of you been raped?

How completely insensitive.

And I invite you to consider that the good work that Kathleen Sebellius does doesn't give her a free pass.  If anything, she (like the rest of our party) should be held to a higher standard.

•  148,305 (0+ / 0-)

Just saying . . . it's a little much to have to sit through a lecture about what belongs on this site.

And back off her boy.  He's a boy as you were once too, and we all know the fact this is in the news has NOTHING to do with him.

Some advice: Travel lightly.

by dbratl on Mon Jan 28, 2008 at 09:00:21 PM PST

•  Still am (2+ / 0-)
              ek hornbeck, bottsimons

actually - and I think that I have enough sense to avoid the topic.

Or at least more sensitivity.  Kinda like whatever ridiculous costume got one of the British princes in trouble...

So, I guess my point is - you're probably right, that this wouldn't be in the news if not for the primaries.  That alone, however, is not a defense of the situation.  Nor is it reason to brush over it - or, in a diary that never even mentions Obama by name (I had no idea the two were linked until I read it in a comment by an Obama supporter, because I don't keep track of endorsements), take discussion of the topic off the table because he's your candidate's second cousin's brother's former roommate.

•  right on (0+ / 0-)

Still am actually - and I think that I have enough sense to avoid the topic.

too bad you can't donate some of that sense to some of these commentors around here.

I am Tom P, the gay activist, not TomP, the Edwards supporter. I agree with him on most things, for the record. I support Edwards or Hillary.

by Tom P on Tue Jan 29, 2008 at 07:12:08 AM PST

•  The article (8+ / 0-)

Was on the AP wire, for God's sake.  Your continued insinuation that anyone who thinks this is wrong is part of some sort of droid army is unpleasant and insulting.

•  don't let facts get in the way of some good (3+ / 0-)
        jxg, Tom P, SomeStones

Old Hillary Hatin! .. you will not convince them.

It's all an evil Clinton plot.

No doubt, Hillary knew years ago this would happen, and planted some instructor at the college to warp this young man's mind .. they built a time machine out of all of those discarded pizza boxes and cigars ...

"If you want to go quickly, go alone.
        If you want to go far, go together.
        We have to go far, quickly."

by shpilk on Mon Jan 28, 2008 at 09:42:18 PM PST

•  Good to see you have a sense of humor (2+ / 0-)
          Tom P, ek hornbeck

and, based on your several questioning comments, good logic.

I have time, date or link which specifically says that the spokeswoman's quote was directly related to the "game."

Out of seven (I think) articles, three had the direct quote including this:

"Kathleen and Gary are very proud of their son John's creativity and talent," Corcoran said. "He began this game as a class project at the Rhode Island School of Design, and he's now turned into an entrepreneur."

from: http://cjonline.com/...

This article is far more in-depth than the others and certainly appears to directly relate the quote you had asked about to the "game."

It also has more detail about the addresses.

by SomeStones on Mon Jan 28, 2008 at 10:02:23 PM PST

•  it's still a quote from a spokeperson (1+ / 0-)
            Tom P

and the it's a full stop.

"Kathleen and Gary are very proud of their son John's creativity and talent," Corcoran said.  <<< Full stop.</p>

I just want the truth, the whole truth and nothing but it.

The spokesperson's characterization does not necessarily link these together. The parent's can be proud, and not be aware of the details of the game. And yes, I say the 'quote' where the kid is saying "it's sort of become a family tradition" .. my son goes out with his pals and does stuff he would consider a 'family tradition' - and the parents may even come along once in a while - that doesn't mean the parents are on board with everything JR does.

IF Mom and Dad come out and specifically talk about this particular little venture, I'd like to see that in print, with direct quotes from them.

"If you want to go quickly, go alone.
            If you want to go far, go together.
            We have to go far, quickly."

by shpilk on Mon Jan 28, 2008 at 10:50:02 PM PST