View Diary: Memo to BHO: "gloves off", not "claws out" (145 comments)

•  Both male and female cats (6+ / 0-)
    Kitty, jeepdad, Big Tex, LizzyPop, Nick Blas, haruki

Both male and female cats have claws, indeed males bigger.

I've heard this expression applied too many times to both men and women to even think about psychoanalyzing this to death.  However, expect the fanatics to lose their minds over this and turn blue in the face, but they will find a different non-issue anyway if it weren't for this non-issue.

It's nonsense.

Re-fighting the Clinton wars of the 90's is a trap. Hit them with new and unconventional warfare and change the math!

by Judgment at Nuremberg on Thu Feb 07, 2008 at 02:58:11 PM PST

•  just bad timing, that's all... (0+ / 0-)

-4.50, -4.92; Obama '08

by RSA TX on Thu Feb 07, 2008 at 03:00:53 PM PST

•  Are you calling women cats? (0+ / 0-)

Because I have never in my life heard this expression used about a man.

Ever.

•  It's usually applied to groups (1+ / 0-)
        joynow

or generically to getting their claws out. He didn't say "she" and the expression is often used with the word "thier".

by Judgment at Nuremberg on Thu Feb 07, 2008 at 03:09:57 PM PST

•  I wonder what 'group' Obama was referring to... (0+ / 0-)

...here.

Maybe a demographic he's having trouble with, you think?

•  The Clinton supports here (0+ / 0-)

Which include both men and women.

And if and when he gets to be the nominee, the republican hate machine will get their claws out for him too,, just like they will for Clinton.

by Judgment at Nuremberg on Thu Feb 07, 2008 at 03:31:15 PM PST

•  Obama would never insult Clinton supporters. (0+ / 0-)

He needs to woo them. You're thinking of yourself and putting him in your shoes.

Obama called Clinton the force of status quo. As he always does. As Edwards did, too. It's a good frame, a good attack. But Obama said "claws."

That means: the force of the status quo is a bitch.

•  That's correct (0+ / 0-)

"Obama would never insult Clinton supporters"

You are right. There is nothing to gain for it. And you and Universal are simply twisting the English language for cheap political effect.

Somehow I've seen this all before.

by Judgment at Nuremberg on Thu Feb 07, 2008 at 03:50:50 PM PST

•  sorry? I'm simply doing analysis. (0+ / 0-)

I am not a Clinton backer. I have accepted above that this may not have been purposeful. I felt that way about some of Clinton's surrogates' remarks too. The question is simply what's there in the language.

•  The language never said "she" (1+ / 0-)
                    joynow

or used the female gender. That expression is popularly used to refer to groups. It was not sexist in the way it was used unless you suggest the entire expression itself must be attacked whenever anyone uses it as inherently "sexist".

This is reaching to the absurd for the cheapest political points. It's a hallmark of the politics of the 90's.

by Judgment at Nuremberg on Thu Feb 07, 2008 at 04:08:33 PM PST

•  except that Obama has REPEATEDLY called Hillary (0+ / 0-)

the "status quo."

Look, if you don't see it, that's okay. Some will, some won't. I didn't see some of the things the Obama people accused the Clinton campaign of. And I certainly wish her campaign had been run differently.

At the same time. Some will see it there, and I did.

That's the nature of interpretation.

•  Clinton is the staus quo (0+ / 0-)

That's a two-fer, Hillary and Bill. I see them as the status quo too.

As for interpretation, if you want to see it bad enough, I guess you can. Except that it makes no sense because there is no imaginable gain for Obama to make sexist remarks and fits no pattern whatsoever in his previous remarks or his life in general.

This is a self-manufactured issue by those carrying the water for the Clinton personal agenda. It lowers the discourse and demeans feminism as a mere tool.

by Judgment at Nuremberg on Thu Feb 07, 2008 at 05:32:06 PM PST

•  The "catty" thing (1+ / 0-)
      barbwires

is generally applied to women and effeminate men. The "catfight" thing, as well.

He may have meant it innocently enough, but it's something he should try not to do. Lots of people hear that sort of thing the way the diarist did.

•  Thanks for saying that. I don't get why (0+ / 0-)

it is even supposed to be sexist. I didn't know it was and when I try to picture "claws coming out" I see cats.

Now either people have really naughty minds because a word for cats is a sexual female term...which is really stretching it..

Or one of my childhood theories is right. All cats are girls, all dogs are boys.

Women are likelier to have long nails but they don't retract. I didn't know that this was a female related insult and I'm sure I've used it wrong before.

But then again I wasn't sure shuck and jive was used a racist insult, I thought it sounded like a political insult. I used the term on my kids, particularly my smooth talking (white) son in his youth when he'd try to shuck and jive me.

"Bra comes off" would be about a woman. "Jock strap comes off" would be about a guy

Are we frigging nuts? Sexist code? What, Obama is trying to remind people she is a woman?

OK so we are back to cats are girls.
      Or that we are going nuts.

Wait! I said NUTS. I'm insulting men.