View Diary: FISA Fight: House Blue Dogs enabling the GOP (203 comments)

•  This is the end (7+ / 0-)

unless leadership refuses to bring anything up for a vote.

•   This action should be done now, get up, dial the (7+ / 0-)

phone, then finish reading this diary.

Seriously, there is no time to waste on this right now. The House is in session and the games are afoot right this min. I promise we will be here when you get back.

"a state that tortures is always a state of hypocrites." John Locke

by SmileySam on Wed Feb 13, 2008 at 11:01:59 AM PST

•  Leadership ? Hahah..Save the calls..Blue dawgs (2+ / 0-)
      esquimaux, Archangel M

and thugs rule the inept, incompetent, unlistening, contemptible, asinine so called "Leadrship"..The Telcoms will have their immunity for Clearly Breking the Laws of the Land and their sacred trust which bottom line doesnt mean a fukin thing to them..Save your breath, save your calls..Its already a dun deal..This is blue dawg bush wurld..Do the rethugs evur break ranks like this ? No, and in that is their Power ! Corrupt as it is, the rethugs keep their power..They stood behind agknew and fukin nixon until the bitter end..

"Better a little late, than a little never"..Doctor Julian Winston

by Johnny Rapture on Wed Feb 13, 2008 at 11:01:59 AM PST

•  Call Speaker Pelosi (202) 225-4965 (2+ / 0-)
      Mogolori, dconrad

Call Speaker Pelosi (202) 225-4965 and Majority Leader Hoyer [(202) 225-4131] and tell them to not to bring FISA with retro-active immunity to a vote.... Let Bush VETO an extension.....let it expire....do everything in your power to stop retro-active immunity.

Tell them we want DEMOCRATIC LEADERS that act like Democrats not Republicans!

There have been tyrants, and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall. Think of it - always." - Gandhi

by Rachel Griffiths on Wed Feb 13, 2008 at 11:21:07 AM PST

•  email them too. (3+ / 0-)
        Mogolori, dconrad, Rachel Griffiths

CREDO Action page here.

(I'm the Activism Manager for CREDO Action; this is a very important issue to us.)

•  Put this link in Diary! (1+ / 0-)
          dconrad

by Rachel Griffiths on Wed Feb 13, 2008 at 11:40:50 AM PST

•  Just did it... (2+ / 0-)
          dconrad, Rachel Griffiths

... here's the extra paragraph I added to the form letter:

Congresswoman Pelosi, I am a constituent of yours and I already called you (for the first time ever) today on this issue and left a message. In the message, I stated that my future vote swings on this one issue. While this is unhesitatingly true, I did not mean to imply that I do not expect you to do the right thing. Truly, you are our only hope to stop this terrible legislation, and I trust you to show the forceful leadership it will take to keep waverers like Jim Cooper, Brad Ellsworth, Heath Schuler, and Dennis Moore on our side.

(I got those names from this comments thread as the possible flips... remember, we only need to flip 6 of them by my count. And Dennis Moore I just added on because of Monty Python: "He steals from the poor, and gives to the rich - stupid bitch" never been more appropriate. But at the end of the episode he rethinks his strategy so I have hope.

Yes, I take this seriously, but no harm in a little humor.)

•  Let's not forget the whip: (202) 226-3210 (0+ / 0-)

From his page:

Office of the Majority Whip
        The Honorable James E. Clyburn (SC-06)
        United States House of Representatives
        H-329, The Capitol
        Washington, DC 20515
        (202) 226-3210

It is literally his job to keep them in line!

If Obama's ahead and superdelegates give it to Clinton I'm voting for McCain--Geekesque

by dconrad on Wed Feb 13, 2008 at 01:53:31 PM PST

•  People might want to drop Al Wynn's name, too. (7+ / 0-)

Just pour encourager, of course.

•  Just call them both and did that (2+ / 0-)
        tbetz, dconrad

The staffers seemed to know what I was talking about.

But who knows?  Doubt they will do anything.

•  I got just the opposite reaction... (2+ / 0-)
          Alexander G Rubio, dconrad

I called the Allen Boyd DC office (the only Florida Blue Dog on the list).

The intake receptionist couldn't explain Boyd's position. The person working on it wasn't at her desk. I asked if this was viewed as just so unimportant that only one person in the office knew about it.

"Oh no," said the receptionist, slightly puffed up with indignation. The primary analyst knew all about it. But he was on the phone. I waited.

His first line of defense was that he didn't know about it and the person that did was in a meeting. So I took him through the "is this so unimportant..." routine.

Well, obviously you know the congressman's position. No, I said, I don't know why he would do this. That's why I am calling. Is it on the website?

Well, no.

Then how does one find out.

Well, through press releases.

Has he issued a press release on this?

Well, no.

Come to find out, the only one can find out is through constituent meetings. I doubt it, though, because Boyd's district is in north Florida which is very conservative and people would be offended by, "I'm a total ho for the telcom companies."

Allen Boyd is emblematic of why we may lose this thing. He's not much of a Democrat, but the voters in his district think that's a feature.

"We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are the change that we seek."

by PBCliberal on Wed Feb 13, 2008 at 12:21:07 PM PST

•  This is... (2+ / 0-)
      rmx2630, Coach Jay

...a good list of primary targets.  We should, going forward, work to evict these bastards from office.

•  Crucial, Crucial, Crucial to Do Now (3+ / 0-)
      dconrad, Rachel Griffiths, Publiusj

This should be done now.

They act, when called, as if they haven't heard from us before.  They should get very used to it.

This is one of the more powerful organizing things that we can do, to let the so-called "Blue Dogs" know the numbers that are out there that are opposed to what they are doing.

Why does the House think their public support is at 22%?  Could it be that they routinely give in to a President whose approval is at 30 %, when everyone thought they would be different.

I think it warrants notice that this is the same administration that had all the intelligence they needed, in advance of 9-11, to prevent 9-11.  Why they get any approval at all for efforts to prevent terrorism is beyond me.

Isn't this something that should be recognized, that the most disastrous failure to act, despite good intelligence, in the history of the United States was during this same Republican administration?

What is the overall opinion on this?

No matter what, it's important to let the Blue Dogs feel the pain of unpopular and unwelcome and unDemocratic and un American positions.

•  We live in a 3 party system (0+ / 0-)

Dems
      Repubs
      Blue Dems

Wonder what % of the time the Blue Dems vote with the Dems.
      Think it's more than 50%?
      They suck.