View Diary: Making the Case (108 comments)

•  Try you're whole freaking family (4+ / 0-)

I haven't talked politics with my Grandpa since he called Barack a n_____ in front of my then three year old about a year and a half ago.  He's diabetic and grouchy, and I give him lots of leeway, but not that much.

Then there was the fishing trip two years ago where I got in an argument with my Uncle and my stepmom (two different arguments).  Then there was the argument with the whole paternal side (me against everyone with DH backing me) at the fishing trip in 2005.

It's just not worth it most times.  Especially when the old endocrine system gets going.  I've learned to just walk away (okay, maybe one little zinger or well placed question before I walk).

Plus, after 2006, I don't have to argue.  Reality is there to do it for me, LOL.

-7.3,-7.5 If I can't dance, I don't want to be part of your revolution.

by Nebraska Outsider on Sat Feb 23, 2008 at 10:38:55 AM PST

•  Holy smokes! (2+ / 0-)
      historys mysteries, rossuber

My sympathies, a hundred-fold! The N-word--WOW. That would be a non-starter for me, to say the least. That would get my endocrine and every other system going.

I've been obsessing a bit--okay, more than a bit--about the latest injection of the word "lynching" into the national conversation, by Billo. KO had Jesse Jackson on last night, and talked even more explicitly about the moral obscenity of the word itself with Eugene Robinson two nights before.

But I'm beginning to think that if we still have folks who don't think there's anything wrong with using the N-word or find nooses funny or can use the word "lynch" in ANY sentence, we need to spread history's dirty laundry out for a more thorough examination. Complete with pictures. Do any of these people know what a lynching really entailed? Have they seen photographs? Wish there was some way to e KO and propose a Special Comment.

End of rant! Good luck with the family reunions. Me--I'd be busy that weekend...whenever it was! ;-)

Sweet are the uses of adversity...[Find] tongues in trees, books in the running brooks, Sermons in stones, and good in everything. -Shakespeare, As You Like It

by earicicle on Sat Feb 23, 2008 at 11:09:25 AM PST

•  There is no excuse (1+ / 0-)
        earicicle

and the fact that 'they' (racist conservative douchebags) might minimize their use of it is worse than if they used it 'literally' so to speak.  They're minimizing that history with every use of the word, and every brush off.  I agree with you, we need pictures dragged out everytime somebody even utters the l word, we should not be desensitized to the attrocities.  It gets my endocrine system going too, LOL.

-7.3,-7.5 If I can't dance, I don't want to be part of your revolution.

by Nebraska Outsider on Sat Feb 23, 2008 at 03:23:50 PM PST

•  And then faux-apologize (0+ / 0-)

If we're "offended" by the use of the word!

No, I'm offended that people in my country used to torture, murder and dismember other people in my country. And that the word used to describe this crime is still bandied about today casually by idiots.

I have to admit, though, that "Racist Conservative Douchebags" sounds like a great name for a band. Lead singer: Billo himself, of course. Plenty of candidates for the other musicians. Auditioning themselves every day, it seems!

by earicicle on Sat Feb 23, 2008 at 04:56:28 PM PST

•  WTFuckabee on bass (1+ / 0-)
            earicicle

Condi at the (Piano) Keyboard
            Romney would make a decent drumstick
            Jeb could be the other one
            McCain would make an even better bass drum
                    (NOT drummer - drum)
            Ron Paul playing McCain using Jeb and Mitt

Cheney could be their producer (in a Phil Spector kind of way)

And, just to keep us all safe:
            Bush writes the songs.

Who'd listen?

GWOT - Global War on Terra(-firma) - Bush's War on the Planet.

by grndrush on Sun Feb 24, 2008 at 03:28:01 AM PST

•  LOL! Wait...Bush can write?!? (1+ / 0-)
              grndrush

Well, obviously after they play a few gigs at Faux Noise holiday parties, they can all meet up again in whatever circle of hell becomes their final destination.

On cowbell, Don Rumsfeld!

by earicicle on Sun Feb 24, 2008 at 06:23:40 AM PST

•  Well, that was the point of the (1+ / 0-)
                earicicle

"Who'd listen" line - the man can't write his own speeches, or even coherently recite ones written by others.

But I agree, I wasn't explicit enough there.  ;)

GWOT - Global War on Terra(-firma) - Bush's War on the Planet.

by grndrush on Sun Feb 24, 2008 at 09:11:26 AM PST

• Environment (20)
  • Hillary Clinton (18)
  • Politics (17)
  • Freddie Gray (17)
  • Racism (17)
  • Media (17)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site