View Diary: Attention: Obama Fans. (104 comments)

•  Hey GreyHawk, hope it's ok to speak (1+ / 0-)
    GreyHawk

about issues outside of Johnson's letter (I have to admit, I don't like the attacks from either camp and Johnson's muslim references creeped me out, so I didn't pay much attention to what he wrote)...

Anyway, I was just watching Tucker (I know, I know) and I saw that consultant, David something (he was also a big Lieberman pal during the CT race but I've forgotten his name -- Landers or Lanley or whatever) said Obama once filled out a questionnaire about gun control and said he wanted to ban use and sale of handguns but then told a crowd at a recent rally he supported the 2nd Amendment.

I voted for Obama, but I don't know if this is spin or truth + spin, or just truth.  Anyone out there know about this?

NetrootNews coming soon!

by ksh01 on Mon Feb 18, 2008 at 03:31:36 PM PST

•  Yes, all issues. I just posted the attacks that I (1+ / 0-)
      ksh01

knew that a particularly rabid portion of crazies was focusing on and actually citing Johnson for.

Anything that we can identify -- at least, anything that looks like they may toss it out in hopes of dinging that isn't an obvious made-up or unverifiable thing.

I'm not sure that that item is one that can be proven -- does anyone ~have~ the questionnaire?

I don't think it's a huge item, tho, 'cuz it can simply be addressed by saying "Yeah - once; I since changed my mind and here's why..."

...Unless he filled it out ~yesterday~ or something.

;)

Never, never brave me, nor my fury tempt:
        Downy wings, but wroth they beat;
      Tempest even in reason's seat.

by GreyHawk on Mon Feb 18, 2008 at 03:38:10 PM PST

•  I'll see if there are any clips of the (1+ / 0-)
        GreyHawk

interview.  My take was that it was some time ago.

I personally think you can support restrictions on handguns in big cities like Chicago and still support the 2nd Amendment.  In fact, I think it was Chris Matthews who made a fair point about Guiliani's stance on gun control, i.e., you can't run New York by allowing concealed weapons or liberal handgun possession policies.

I'll have to see what the guy was talking about.  He works for Clinton, so I don't know how much spin is being thrown out there.  He didn't say "I have a copy" or cite much information so he could have been lying.  There's a lot coming from them these days.  Full metal campaigning.

NetrootNews coming soon!

by ksh01 on Mon Feb 18, 2008 at 03:43:47 PM PST

•  Yeah, anything you can find to help nail down (1+ / 0-)
          ksh01

whether there's any "there" there would be great.

I hope the cross-campaign attacks stop, particularly when they involve such subtle stupidity, but I don't see that happening.

Ideally, neither campaign will engage in one that results sinking 'em both. I still think either one is a far sight better than anything the GOP can even hope to offer at this point.

Never, never brave me, nor my fury tempt:
            Downy wings, but wroth they beat;
          Tempest even in reason's seat.

by GreyHawk on Mon Feb 18, 2008 at 03:50:38 PM PST

•  here it is: (1+ / 0-)
            GreyHawk

Boy, am I switched around on names!  It was Lanny Davis (Lieberman friend and former B. Clinton counsel and big Hillary Clinton supporter) on Tucker.

Here's the transcript:

Davis: Here’s Barack Obama, the one that nobody knows about in the republican party right now....

In Idaho where he won and actually the media was impressed that he won in Idaho with 2% turnout, he said to [an] Idaho audience, "I believe in the Second Amendment."

In 1996 he filled out a questionnaire that he supports the ban on the manufacture, sales, and possession of handguns. Now will you please put those two statements together?

Davis almost said he introduced legislation on it, but seemed to stop himself.  The embedded clip is mostly about the plagiarism charge where Tucker counters Davis with Clinton stealing Obama’s catchphrase.

Go to 4:05 for the gun control claim.

<iframe height="339" width="425" src="http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22425001/vp/23226392#23226392" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe>

NetrootNews coming soon!

by ksh01 on Mon Feb 18, 2008 at 04:48:35 PM PST

•  I would go directly to Obama's website (1+ / 0-)
      GreyHawk

and look it up and/or call his Campaign office.  Get your info from the horse's mouth instead of some anonymous bloggers opinion.  Just saying.

Yes we can change. Yes we can heal this nation. Yes we can seize our future. - Barack Obama 01/26/08

by MadAsHellMaddie on Mon Feb 18, 2008 at 03:53:15 PM PST

•  On Tucker on MSNBC (1+ / 0-)
        GreyHawk

not an anonymous blogger.  Also, forgive my idiocy, it was Lanny Davis who made the claim.  See above.

Fortunately, if it was true, it happened in 1996, around 12 years ago.

NetrootNews coming soon!

by ksh01 on Mon Feb 18, 2008 at 04:53:17 PM PST

• Recommended (124)
  • Community (60)
  • Elections (31)
  • Media (31)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (30)
  • 2016 (29)
  • Republicans (21)
  • Economy (19)
  • Labor (19)
  • Jeb Bush (18)
  • Josh Duggar (18)
  • Bernie Sanders (16)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site