View Diary: Some Inconvenient Findings for Obama (324 comments)

•  The point is, he has coat-tails (4+ / 0-)
    xynz, tbetz, HRs Kevin, Empower Ink

...and another superdelegate, to boot.  Regardless of misguided perceptions, Obama's lock on the nomination becomes more and more evident every day.  Clinton couldn't even get more delegates from Texas - one of her latest "firewalls" - than him.  Excuse me if I don't accompany you in your wishful thinking.

"The state has no place in the bedrooms of the nation." - Pierre Trudeau

by fishhead on Sat Mar 08, 2008 at 08:28:13 PM PST

•  You're assuming (0+ / 0-)

that Obama was the reason for his victory...the coattail effect. I think that's a bit condescending.

Together, we will turn promises into action, words into solutions and hope into reality.

by psychodrew on Sat Mar 08, 2008 at 08:38:58 PM PST

•  I'm assuming nothing of the sort (2+ / 0-)
        tbetz, Mia Dolan

What I am assuming is that Obama's active and visible campaigning, and Foster's vocal association with Obama helped him to victory.  Given Obama's provedn ability to win crossover votes, I don't think that this is an unreasonable assumption.

"The state has no place in the bedrooms of the nation." - Pierre Trudeau

by fishhead on Sat Mar 08, 2008 at 08:45:48 PM PST

•  It's unsupported by the data. (0+ / 0-)

You can't assume that Obama campaining for him put him over the top just because:

A.  Obama campaigned for him.
          B.  Foster won.

by psychodrew on Sat Mar 08, 2008 at 08:49:01 PM PST

•  Yes I can - I just did (0+ / 0-)

Assumptions can be inferential as well as strictly empirical.  I said it was reasonable, not airtight.

"The state has no place in the bedrooms of the nation." - Pierre Trudeau

by fishhead on Sat Mar 08, 2008 at 09:00:30 PM PST

•  There's nothing to support the inference. n/t (0+ / 0-)

by psychodrew on Sat Mar 08, 2008 at 09:11:05 PM PST

•  do you have turnout & voting data on how (0+ / 0-)

HRC and Obama did, respectively, in IL-14?

Rome is burning ... put down the fiddle.

by ancblu on Sat Mar 08, 2008 at 11:15:30 PM PST

•  From Super Tuesday? (0+ / 0-)

I haven't.  But neither does fishhead and he's the one making an argument with no data to support it.

If Obama had been on the ballot, then you could argue coattails.  But the fact that he campaigned for Foster isn't enough.  There is no way to determine who much Obama helped--or hurt--him.

by psychodrew on Sat Mar 08, 2008 at 11:20:31 PM PST

•  sorry...yes I should have mentioned from the IL (0+ / 0-)

primary.

My question was not to get into the debate between you and fishead, but rather to follow-up on the empirical data point. If data is available, a fair assessment might be helpful in considering the comparative coattails.

Rome is burning ... put down the fiddle.

by ancblu on Sat Mar 08, 2008 at 11:32:32 PM PST