View Diary: Just Words (275 comments)

•  both candidates have run negative campaigns (4+ / 0-)
    annac1aire, shpilk, CanadaWest, Lying eyes

I'm tired of this meme that only Hillary has caused a schism in this community.  Obviously it's comments like yours that contribute to it.  Obama ran some nasty Harry and Louise ads against her plan for healthcare and he also ran NAFTA fliers that misrepresented her views.

Clinton rules have been applied by this very site - no Clinton wasn't racist in S.Carolina.  Clinton has a history of not being racist.  It was to Obama's advantage to misconstue a statement Clinton made as racist and he did that.  It was a good way to win a state, but the onus of running a negative campaign is very unfairly put on Hillary's shoulders.

Our community will start healing once we recognize that both sides are sometimes wrong.

I'm an Edwards Democrat!

by invisiblewoman on Sun Mar 09, 2008 at 08:35:34 PM PDT

•  please. (2+ / 0-)
      ChiGirl88, DrJeremy

i can't stand it when people make stuff up to try to prove a point.
      You were doing fine without this lie.

He did NOT do anything - and you know that.
      The media ran with this one.
      And it was a boneheaded, ugly thing for the clintons to say.
      So don't defend it.

"Oh no...you changed your hair color? It's just so dark. You like it? And with your skin tone?" My Beloved Mom, December 25 2007, once again on notice.

by Christin on Sun Mar 09, 2008 at 09:13:39 PM PDT

•  it could've been the media (0+ / 0-)

that played it up, sure.  Not saying it wasn't. I'm saying that it wasn't racist and that Clinton has no history of being racist.
        The dkos was full of diaries and diaries decrying Clinton's comment (which was off the cuff and was comparing two great candidates by Clinton's statement) as having run good campaigns.  He was not being negative at all. Jesse Jackson did run a good campaign.  Why assume it was racist or even negative?  Only when you look at it through Clinton rules will you see it that way.

I'm an Edwards Democrat!

by invisiblewoman on Sun Mar 09, 2008 at 09:30:55 PM PDT

•  now it makes more sense when you put it like that (0+ / 0-)

but in your other comment, you had written it differently.

the difference is that Obama did not run with that stuff.
          any of it.

and Hillary does.
          She pounces herself, and attacks, and won't stop talking about it and uses the media to advance it.
          the media advanced the stuff about bill's comments on their own.

huge difference. just HUGE.

and yes - the blogosphere advanced it to, you are correct.
          but again, Obama had nothing to do with it.

and come on...did you see the full video of the give and take with bill clinton?
          the way he chose to answer the question didn't make sense.
          which is why offense was taken to it.

it reminded me of this old snl skit (when it was funny) about subliminal messages.
          the guys in the office came right and said the word they wanted to say, but said if fast and kept interjecting in the sentence.
          like your ears were not supposed to hear it.
          it's too confusing to explain.
          but that's what bill did.
          at least in my humble opinion.

come on.....everything they do is calculated beyond the pale.
          why do you think he is saying non stop obama should be her vp now.
          neither one of them will cut the crap.
          you think he's doing it to unify the party????

by Christin on Sun Mar 09, 2008 at 09:47:46 PM PDT

•  asdf (0+ / 0-)

it's tough to see your guy as being a politician.  It's easy to see the other guy (gal in this case) as being one.  But in reality they're both politicians.  Obama's health care flyers and ads against Hillary were not true and were using the same fear tactics that the republicans had used.  It was wrong and will not help us get universal health care.
            I don't know if Obama ran with the Clinton = racist comment.  He might have been very happy with it as he knew it would help his campaign.  Obviously he didn't correct it or say that without a doubt he knew that Clinton wasn't a racist, that his record prove it, and people shouldn't go there.

I believe we at kos can still support a (dem) candidate without trying to trash the other.  This is my opinion, of course.  But the divisiveness doesn't help us at all.  The first step to changing it may be to remind ourselves that divisiveness is coming from both camps.

I'm an Edwards Democrat!

by invisiblewoman on Sun Mar 09, 2008 at 09:53:46 PM PDT

•  oh...i know...i forgot to address that part. (0+ / 0-)

yeah, i know he is a politician - the flyers were misleading.
              i don't think he is a messiah nor am i a member of cult as some people here like to push.
              I mean I was a passionate edwards supporter.
              so i really take offense that some, and they "know" who they are, say my passion for obama now makes me a member of some kool aid crowd.
              but i also don't think he has to go out there defending hillary or her husband when they have smeared him for months now -
              the whole crack comment from sheehan, and  a host of others.
              The heck with that.
              I think she fights mean, and with a streak of nastiness that reminds me of a friend of mine whom I would never want to cross because she fights dirty, and not in a good way.

I am not for universal health care and think both their plans will be a disaster.
              I think the plans will rot, the coverage will be minimal, and the CEO's of Aetna and Cigna get another two billion dollar bonus.
              I'm for single payee and wish that for the american people.
              I'm okay...will always have a great plan - but am willing to pay more so everyone has coverage, not insurance.

by Christin on Sun Mar 09, 2008 at 10:32:34 PM PDT