View Diary: What's wrong with prostitution? (262 comments)

•  It is healthy tho that (5+ / 0-)

these sex workers are unionizing.  I have few illusions anymore - but young women still believe in love (I hope) and sex is better with love.  If it becomes more matter of fact than it is - yeah I know - it may be harmful to women.

In Amsterdam, I've seen documentaries only - with the workers hanging out the window and selling their wares. They didn't seem fresh and happy to me anyway.

Anyway, the big money in prostitution would find a way to make the illicit type more appealing somehow.

Democrats, Make it Work. You have until November to bring your electorate in.

by xanthe on Wed Mar 12, 2008 at 09:02:27 AM PDT

•  I was there, and it was pretty creepy. The men (1+ / 0-)
      xanthe

lined up for service were gross, as you would expect. It was not a happy scene.

you think you're so clever and classless and free, but you're still fucking peasants as far as I can see- J L

by the fan man on Wed Mar 12, 2008 at 09:04:30 AM PDT

•  So what? (4+ / 0-)

Just because you find it personally distasteful, is that a good reason to keep it illegal?

•  I believe they keep it in a certain (0+ / 0-)

section - closed off - but would you mind if such things were happening a block or so from your home and you had children.  You'd not mind, right?  Just tell the kids - they're sex workers honey - it doesn't matter.

Democrats, Make it Work. You have until November to bring your electorate in.

by xanthe on Wed Mar 12, 2008 at 09:20:33 AM PDT

•  That's exactly what I would say. (3+ / 0-)
            Subversive, SarekOfVulcan, cynndara

My kids will not have their brains poisoned by the disgusting attitudes foisted on society by Radical Monotheism.  Sex is a natural, healthy, and desirable part of human existance.  The need to turn it into something filthy is what is wrong.

•  See - you equate anyone who has reservations (0+ / 0-)

about legalizing prostitution or at least hashing out why it might not be easy on women, or maybe too easy, as turning prostitution into something "filthy" - I did not say it was filthy.  It is commercial sex - a business proposition.

You've not lived as I have in Chicago where prostitutes were hanging out on corners in the evening looking for work.  There were shootings, drug deals, and public displays of lewdness, and unfortunately children around in the summer.  Some of us weren't as enlightened as you of course -  and as far as I know all of us thought sex natural, healthy and desirable.  Well - bad sex is neither healthy nor desirable, but I suppose that doesn't only apply to commercial sex.

What the heck does monotheism have to do with it?

At any rate, politicians will still trot out with their wives and apologize - legal or not.

Democrats, Make it Work. You have until November to bring your electorate in.

by xanthe on Wed Mar 12, 2008 at 09:55:55 AM PDT

•  No, I live in the South. (2+ / 0-)
                xanthe, lemming22

In Durham, North Carolina, to be exact, the local Prostitute captial of the state.  I see hookers on the streets all the time.  And when my kids are old enough to know about sex, I'll tell them about hookers, too.  We get the same types of crime as the big urban areas, don't think otherwise.  But I know I'd feel a lot better about it if those girls could go to the police with the reasonable expectation of getting some results.

•  Well, who wouldn't? (0+ / 0-)

But legalized sex may have police on the payroll as well - say for certain sadistic acts.  I don't see it as a panacea; there will always be goons who may make money from it.

They may ask you sooner than you think -- my own son was 7 when he wanted to know what that woman was doing in the parked car?

Democrats, Make it Work. You have until November to bring your electorate in.

by xanthe on Wed Mar 12, 2008 at 10:49:27 AM PDT

•  The whole point (1+ / 0-)
                lemming22

of legalizing prostitution is that it then wouldn't have to be associated, perforce, with other illegal activities like gangs and drug-dealing and what have you.  Of course, that's also the argument about decriminalizing drugs.  Banning activities of little to no great social harm and great attraction is a surefire way to breed corruption, organized crime, illegal business and disrespect for law in general.  Outlawing sex is like trying to outlaw gravity; you can put as many statutes on the books as you want; it ain't going to change the fact that things fall down.

Remove the mandatory association with illegal activities and prostitution, like legal gambling and drinking, becomes a personal and family problem rather than a CRIME problem.  It's a waste of society's general resources, but in a free society, people are going to waste resources on frivolous pursuits.  You want nothing but "wholesome", productive activity, you have to live in a totalitarian police state.

•  Outlawing sex? (0+ / 0-)

Did someone here mention outlawing sex.  There is social harm in drug use for sure.  If you've ever had experience with a heroin addict, you'd understand that.

Democrats, Make it Work. You have until November to bring your electorate in.

by xanthe on Wed Mar 12, 2008 at 03:17:34 PM PDT

•  Both prostitution ... (0+ / 0-)

... and drug dealing are illegal.  Legalize them, and they won't be conducted on streetcorners anymore.

•  You're pulling out all the stops (0+ / 0-)

today, aren't you?  "Think of the children!"  "People who work minimum-wage jobs might find the suggestion that other people might prefer prostitution over their jobs insulting!"

I wouldn't want a garbage dump across the street from me, either.  But someone has to live there.

•  I could say the same thing for Army life. (2+ / 0-)
      Subversive, sdgeek

But that doesn't mean it should be illegal.