View Diary: Top Comments: These Should Be Sig Lines, Part VI (157 comments)

•  Not That Anyone in Particular Asked . . . (27+ / 0-)

or even that any of you would have any real reason to care, but here's my gripe for the day:

So what better way to spend six hours this afternoon than in a conference room with eight or so attorneys from various law firms as we all proofread specific subcategories of changes to a markup of a 6000-page privilege log for a patent licensing case that none of us has ever worked on before?  It’s not like I had been hoping for a slow afternoon where I could just sit at my desk and have the NCAA tournament streaming in the background (note to bosses everywhere:  this is actually a lot better for productivity than having large groups of people disappear for 3+ hour lunch breaks).  Oh, wait – yes I was.  Until I got shanghaied to work on this because the partner coordinating the priv log project is someone I used to work with when he was still at our firm.

And tomorrow we get to do it all over again.  Woo-hoo!

You can look at it this way, if you choose:  Collectively, our happy band of top-flight legal talent is billing a major corporation well over $2000 hour checking for typos and to insure that all the documents marked with a circle or box around one field (and only the circled or boxed ones) have been designated as Phase I entries.  I'm sure the attorneys are glad they went to law school for that!  And you all thought that high-priced law firms did complex, substantive work all the time.  Hah!

Can you smell the Constitution burning?

by The Maven on Thu Mar 20, 2008 at 07:17:34 PM PDT

•  It's a dirty job, but someone has to do it. (9+ / 0-)

God forbid someone F's up.  Without lawyers, who will you sue?

Having credibility when making an argument is the straightest path to persuasion.

by SpamNunn on Thu Mar 20, 2008 at 07:22:55 PM PDT

•  And From What (8+ / 0-)

the partner who's coordinating this told us during his explanatory spiel, this is pretty much all prophylactic work, anyway.  An earlier version of the full log was turned over to opposing counsel about a year ago, but since our side is about to make challenges to their log based in part on inadequate descriptions, the decision was made to make our log impervious to attack.

Mind you, more than a half-dozen senior associates and partners who regularly work on this case have already spent three months reviewing the actual documents and creating the markup which we're now proofing.  I shudder to think what the overall cost to the client for the entire project will be.  But in the grand scheme of things, I'm sure they won't lose any sleep about it.

Can you smell the Constitution burning?

by The Maven on Thu Mar 20, 2008 at 07:31:18 PM PDT

•  if it makes you feel any better (5+ / 0-)

I spent the day in PAINFUL meetings. Finally I told them I had to go catch a flight, which was mostly true (I could've stuck around a few more min), and fled.

McCain was against torture before he was for it - CSKendrick

by OrangeClouds115 on Thu Mar 20, 2008 at 07:56:19 PM PDT

•  I Hope You Don't Mean (1+ / 0-)
        OrangeClouds115

that they were physically painful, rather that they were merely excruciating to endure (which is more than bad enough, obviously).

And as I said up at the top of my comment, I was simply griping, not railing against the general unfairness of everything.  My mind was still just somewhat numb at having plowed through thousands of entries most of which were minor variants on "Email reflecting request for legal advice re royalty rates for essential patents and cross-licensing".  Zzzzzzzzzzz.

At least this was all here at my firm and not across town, and in this age of BlackBerries, I had the ability to check for email every so often and claim that something had come up so that I needed to head back to my desk for a bit to take care of it.  Not quite as strong an excuse as needing to catch a flight, but it worked.

Can you smell the Constitution burning?

by The Maven on Fri Mar 21, 2008 at 10:33:52 AM PDT

•  re: pain - it was both (0+ / 0-)

physically painful VERY MUCH bc of the projector in the room. Those things just kill me. I closed my eyes to try to limit the amt of pain but then I fell asleep so that wasn't a great strategy.

McCain was against torture before he was for it - CSKendrick