View Diary: The VRWC at Dartmouth and beyond (224 comments)

•  It's an inferior university anyway. (0+ / 0-)

It's hard to get excited about right wingers taking over the red-headed stepchild of the Ivy League. Dartmouth is already the school of choice for loopy teenage Rand cultists and the safety school of kids who want to go to Brown.

If it can be prevented from going Bob Jones, fine, but whether Dartmouth goes back to the old ways or not, its place of ignominy in the Ivy League is secure.

Hillary Clinton: Snatching Defeat from the Jaws of Victory!

by Vincenzo Giambatista on Sun Apr 27, 2008 at 06:42:16 PM PDT

•  It's a college, (4+ / 0-)

and one with a terrific faculty and students.

•  Definitely a college (2+ / 0-)
        N in Seattle, ciao gatta

As a current undergrad, I can agree completely w/MissLaura's statement. It's a liberal campus, even if all of this casts us in a conservative manner. The conservative alumni just happened to be louder and better-funded than the liberal ones. And their disinformation campaign has been very effective.

•  pitch-perfect (0+ / 0-)

You've captured the dynamic to a T.

The wingnuts were able to run a stealth campaign to subvert Dartmouth's governance for a while, but now they've been found out.

The way to win is not to move to the right wing; the way to win is to move to the right policy. -- Nameless Soldier

by N in Seattle on Mon Apr 28, 2008 at 11:59:34 AM PDT

•  Something tells me... (1+ / 0-)
      N in Seattle

that the type of student who would want to go to Brown wouldn't even dream of applying to Dartmouth.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" -8.25, -7.54

by dem4evr on Sun Apr 27, 2008 at 07:14:17 PM PDT

•  it was long ago, but... (0+ / 0-)

...I applied to both.

Dartmouth said yes, Brown didn't.

by N in Seattle on Sun Apr 27, 2008 at 08:33:22 PM PDT

•  When I graduated HS in 82... (0+ / 0-)

...from a very competitive private HS that sent quite a few kids to the Ivies, Dartmouth was the 'Ivy safe school'. I knew quite a few Harvard-Yale-Dartmouth, or Harvard-Brown-Dartmouth list of choices.

You bet your ass I'm bitter. And, yes, middle-america 'values' voters, you *have* been duped. Obama's right. And I'm bitter as hell.

by ChurchofBruce on Sun Apr 27, 2008 at 08:40:52 PM PDT

•  When I was applying to schools (1+ / 0-)
        N in Seattle

I was a school snob.  I admit it.  (In fairness to me, I was a public high school kid who worked insanely hard to have a choice of any school in America.)

I didn't even consider Brown.  Dartmouth was actually a random last minute throw-in, as a friend of mine raved about it on his visit.  But I loved the idea of being taught by real faculty and I began to perceive the insular nature of the school (not situated in Boston, New Haven, or Silicon Valley) as something I really wanted.  I turned down schools people would think were silly in order to attend Dartmouth and I have no regrets.

Calloused hand by calloused hand.

by PocketNines on Sun Apr 27, 2008 at 09:08:08 PM PDT

•  bullshit (1+ / 0-)
      ciao gatta

Dartmouth is still the Ivy where undergrads are most likely to be taught by senior faculty rather than grad students.  Its student body is much like that of the other Ivies -- extraordinarily bright kids, mostly liberal Democrats.

If it's not as tough to get into as Brown, it's a matter of a small degree.  They're both very, very, very selective.

by N in Seattle on Sun Apr 27, 2008 at 08:28:39 PM PDT