View Diary: Want Change? Obama's Recruiting You for the Summer! (33 comments)

•  Doesn't pay for shit. (1+ / 0-)
    peraspera

That's gonna be a problem for most people who don't have trust funds.

Primaries are officially sad.

by jkennerl on Thu Apr 03, 2008 at 09:24:36 PM PDT

•  lol ok (1+ / 0-)
      peraspera

peace corps paid for my benz

the race is over... we're waiting

by Steven R on Thu Apr 03, 2008 at 09:26:51 PM PDT

•  I'm serious, though (0+ / 0-)

This is not something anybody but rich college student would be able to do.

With all that cash, he can't give 'em a stipend for food?

I say this with great love for the Obama camp. But they ought to pay these kids. People got bills to pay.

Primaries are officially sad.

by jkennerl on Thu Apr 03, 2008 at 09:33:25 PM PDT

•  kids? (4+ / 0-)
          joynow, highacidity, bobnbob, dawnt

I'm 30, i make 120k a year, and i'm going to ask my boss for a sebatical... i think too many people too easily shrug this off instead of asking themselves if it's worth it.

think about it

PERMANENT DEMOCRATIC MAJORITIES

the race is over... we're waiting

by Steven R on Thu Apr 03, 2008 at 09:37:06 PM PDT

•  It'll be mainly young folks. (1+ / 0-)
            highacidity

They on average are the people who will do this. I suppose there will be some older folks, but not near as many.

All I mean is that if Obama wants to build his coalition, he needs to pay people, especially if he wants them to forgo a job or travel.

And you make $120,000. Some people don't have your choices in life.

Primaries are officially sad.

by jkennerl on Thu Apr 03, 2008 at 09:53:13 PM PDT

•  i've been fortunate (3+ / 0-)
              skyesNYC, joynow, highacidity

and i understand my luck and do want to give back as much as i can

the race is over... we're waiting

by Steven R on Thu Apr 03, 2008 at 10:06:32 PM PDT

•  How odd! (3+ / 0-)
              skyesNYC, petral, dawnt

I worked 50 hours a week during the last congressional races, and that wasn't including my full time job.

A Few nights after work and a weekend add up to 50 hours real quick. But here it's 30 hours. Might cut into American Idol, but it all depends on how important the election is to you.

I would have loved to get paid for all my hours on a campaign, but all I got to show for it is lasting friendships, connections, and the consciousness of having done something for my community.

I think you can manage it if you really want it, but if it's just for money, what's the point?

•  Actually (4+ / 0-)
          joynow, bobnbob, Kronos Blue, petral

They are asking for donations to go directly into supporting these kids, and they are also asking for people to provide these kids with room and board. Also, people have been bringing food and care packages to the Obama offices for the volunteers and staff.

If you have a spare room, offer it to one of these kids, and offer to provide them with meals. If you don't have a spare room, but you've got some cash, offer to order or deliver food to these kids.

We can all do our part, and we can help those who don't have a lot who want to help too.

Change you can Xerox. Print it. Read it. Copy it. Pass it on. Obama '08

by dawnt on Thu Apr 03, 2008 at 10:15:37 PM PDT

•  Teachers with summers off, people with (0+ / 0-)

a lot of vacation time and some unpaid leave but yes, mostly students.

People do have to pay bills and I'm sure they understand that most people won't be able to do this

•  I'm applying (6+ / 0-)

And yet I'm not rich

"There is nothing wrong with America can't be cured by what is right with America" -Bill Clinton

by SensibleDemocrat on Thu Apr 03, 2008 at 09:37:57 PM PDT