View Diary: Army Mental Clinic: "Don't call us, we'll call you" (36 comments)

•  The mandatory redeployment screenings happen (10+ / 0-)

I recently redeployed and got one. It pretty much consisted of "Do you have nightmares? Do you need to see a psychiatrist?" and that was it.

VetVoice.com, The Voice of America's 21st Century Patriots.

by RockRichard on Sun Apr 13, 2008 at 08:04:28 PM PDT

•  That thorough, eh? (2+ / 0-)
      llbear, RockRichard
      •  yup... (2+ / 0-)
        TexDem, llbear

but I don't blame the screeners. Its kind of difficult when two health professionals must screen 800 dudes.

VetVoice.com, The Voice of America's 21st Century Patriots.

by RockRichard on Sun Apr 13, 2008 at 08:37:27 PM PDT

•  Talked to one of them who was at Hines VA (3+ / 0-)
          TexDem, JVolvo, RockRichard

He was there seeing a couple of buddies, I think.  He claimed he did sceening in the daytime and went home at night and screamed - welcome to the trainwreck.

Jerry Northington [aka Possum] & Gilda Reed: We need you in DC. Sen. Obama, I think you're ready to step up.

by llbear on Sun Apr 13, 2008 at 09:06:22 PM PDT

•  I do blame the screeners. (0+ / 0-)

Sorry, but I do.

Every one of them should be contacting their representative or senator and telling them what is going on.

They can request, I think, that the information they're giving them be anonymous, unless their name absolutely is necessary to further the cause.

If one health professional's duties is to screen 400 people, that's not acceptable and they should say so... at least to their congresspeople.  It's my understanding that they're allowed to do so.

McCain's learning curve takes decades, and we don't have that kind of time. MLK Holiday? GI Bill?

by gooderservice on Sun Apr 13, 2008 at 09:17:28 PM PDT

•  They are... (1+ / 0-)
            llbear

but thats kind of a no-no in military mentality. 1) no matter how hard, who complete the mission given to you and 2) you don't take things outside the chain of command.

these aren't rules that someone would look down on or penalize them for, but duties that every soldiers feel they have.  Vets know what I'm talking about here.

VetVoice.com, The Voice of America's 21st Century Patriots.

by RockRichard on Sun Apr 13, 2008 at 09:19:25 PM PDT

•  I've never been in the military... (0+ / 0-)

so I can say I absolutely don't understand the "code."  But yet I've seen generals retire because they need to speak out -- at least that's what I've heard them say.

So I'm hoping upon hope that more military personnel will, too.

I know it's not the same, but in businesses, places of employment, I've seen people just give up -- they see something happening that is wrong, over and over again, and they want to do something about it, yet they know that the higher ups won't do anything and don't care, so they just accept the wrongdoing as the status quo and keep working.

I'm not saying it's the same thing, but I'm saying I believe that sometimes it's human nature.

Again I say, I've never been in the military (my parents, siblings, aunts, uncles, and cousins have)...

but duties that every soldiers feel they have.

but I can tell you that as a civilian that I lost respect for Colin Powell when he didn't speak out when we needed him to.  I had much respect for him prior.  And needless to say, I have NO respect for one particular general who is a cheerleader for Bush.

by gooderservice on Sun Apr 13, 2008 at 09:35:14 PM PDT

•  Life is different as a General (3+ / 0-)
                TexDem, gooderservice, llbear

you can retire and speak out, and have a slough of jobs as a consultant waiting to pay you more than you ever made in the military.  Where as a Captain or Major who has 10-15 years in service or so doesnt have the clout of a General and therefore wont get as much attention and the job prospects are a lot slimmer.

Powell is whole different story. He had no excuse. He was no longer a General and should have been working under a different "code" that included a duty to speak out.

VetVoice.com, The Voice of America's 21st Century Patriots.

by RockRichard on Sun Apr 13, 2008 at 09:42:34 PM PDT

•  Then I'm not totally off the mark... (1+ / 0-)
                  TexDem

in my thinking.  Thank you for giving me a clearer picture.

by gooderservice on Sun Apr 13, 2008 at 11:00:35 PM PDT

•  Thank you for taking the time to ask the question (2+ / 0-)
                    TexDem, gooderservice

Military Thinking is really weird if you aren't or haven't been in the military. In civilian life, you see a problem, find the obsticle, and look for several ways to solve the problem and go around the obsticle.

In the military you see a problem, find the obsticle, and look for several ways to solve the problem.  The chain of command determines which way to go around the obsticle. Unless you have some really smart NCO's like Rockrichard who can convince the chain of command that the correct solution is exactly what the chain of command always does - whether they do or not.

by llbear on Sun Apr 13, 2008 at 11:16:35 PM PDT