View Diary: Icelandic bank failures could sink us(UPDATED) (272 comments)

•  you might be screwed (6+ / 0-)

Per another comment upstream last summer I saw this coming, dropped everything moving from an urban area of 500k to my little home town of less than a thousand, and then I changed careers from telecom to renewable energy.

I have a chance now. If this gets as bad as it looks pretty soon there are going to be people from your part of the world squatting in the abandoned farmsteads around here and knocking on my door looking for work, just like in Grapes of Wrath.

I'm not paralyzed with fear, in fact I'm fighting my way to the head of the line amongst those working on remediation. I will say that being on the far end of the water chain that begins in the Rockies and passes through the quickly draining lakes Mead & Powell would scare the crap out of me. I turned down an $80k job in Albuquerque, which I absolutely love, and instead made less than a third of that in the middle of nowhere ... because I knew what was coming.

The first step in solving any problem is admitting it. If you believe this isn't real then you can resume what you were doing. If you think there is a shred of truth here you owe it to yourself to start looking now ... wouldn't want to get here after all fo the good squats with solid roofs are gone, would you? (only half kidding here)

•  I'm all for renewable resources and wish you well (0+ / 0-)

But I still think you're living in a dystopian dream world and I don't see how this diary in any helps things. Still, if your new lifestyle it works for you, I'm glad. I write about movies (so I know all about "The Grapes of Wrath", book and film), so I'm basically in favor of dream worlds. On the other hand, I think they can be deadly in politics.

Forward to Yesterday -- Reactionary aesthetics and liberal politics (in that order)

by LABobsterofAnaheim on Mon Apr 14, 2008 at 10:24:53 PM PDT

•  are you still in NM? (0+ / 0-)

If we cannot elect this man, we don't deserve him.

by lisastar on Mon Apr 14, 2008 at 10:43:38 PM PDT

•  long gone from New Mexico (0+ / 0-)

I decamped from New Mexico/Nebraska to Iowa with a commute to Las Vegas, but that company shrank a bit, so now I'm just in Iowa.

•  they say (3+ / 0-)

we'll have too much water here in the NW and not enough everywhere else

If we cannot elect this man, we don't deserve him.

by lisastar on Mon Apr 14, 2008 at 10:59:58 PM PDT

•  Areas that receive abundant rainfall... (3+ / 0-)
            snakelass, NoMoreLies, la urracca

will mostly receive more rainfall, although with less consistency (fewer but larger storms). Dry areas will largely experience even less rainfall.

Humidity levels across the earth have already risen an average of 2 percent worldwide (yuck...like there wasn't already enough humidity here in Florida).

This past winter was the warmest overall I can ever remember in Florida. I'm no meteorologist but it seems to me the cold fronts that usually push all the way south to Cuba stalled, creating a whole lot of rain and clouds as (relatively) less cold air masses ran into (relatively) warmer tropical air masses over the peninsula.

Tire skids and teeth marks, what happened to this place? Lawyers and loan sharks are laying America to waste. Joni Mitchell.

by codigo rojo on Mon Apr 14, 2008 at 11:21:11 PM PDT

•  lived in Florida from 69 to 92 (1+ / 0-)
              codigo rojo

I remember when the snowbirds would come down we would look forward to relatively balmy weather from Thanksgiving til Easter. But by the time I left, it seemed like it had shrunk to about 2-3 weeks.

I could never get used to the humidity and the increasing temperatures.  Now in Seattle, I'm not fond of the overcast, but it's not the same dense humidity and the temperatures are nice.

If we cannot elect this man, we don't deserve him.

by lisastar on Tue Apr 15, 2008 at 12:04:41 AM PDT

•  I was raised in the arid climate of Kuwait... (4+ / 0-)

and Saudi Arabia decades ago while my dad was busy even back then devising ways of extracting the most oil out of reservoirs such as Ghawar "mother of all oil reserves" using salt water injection. Over 30 years ago and they were having to pump salt water to extract oil from that reservoir...I'd say the Saudis' own secret reserve estimates are probably somewhat inflated.

Anyhow I have never gotten used to the Florida humidity. I spent about 3 years in the polluted skies of Phoenix cough cough and 5 years in a relatively less polluted Tucson. I'd return to Tucson in a heartbeat, still might, but as James Howard Kunstler warns, the Southwestern deserts are going to be impacted disproportionately by the end of cheap oil and subsequent water woes.

by codigo rojo on Tue Apr 15, 2008 at 12:26:51 AM PDT

•  yeah, the pnw (0+ / 0-)

is going to have the refugees.  i don't reject climate change related to co from man-made devices, but i wholly reject this notion that we have to return to prehistoric lifestyles or have a mass die off.  those talking points will never get us a progressive majority anyway.