View Diary: Eco-diary #3:  The human side of the issue (43 comments)

•  You're kidding me... (2+ / 0-)
    lemming22, linkage

I gave you a link to where you can buy the books.

This is not "biased" information...these are classics of environmental and ecological historical literature.

They are far more scientific and academic than a Dkos diary.

You might want to spend a bit more time learning about this subject before you write about it.

I'm unfortunately learning that blogs perpetuate an enormous amount of misinformation and bs.

The World is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion. --Thomas Paine

by David Kroning on Sun May 11, 2008 at 07:04:35 PM PDT

•  OK I found this about one of your authors (1+ / 0-)
      linkage

Cronon suggests that Global Narratives are abstract, virtual, systemic, remote, vast, have a diffuse sense of agency, posses no individual characters (i.e. no heros/villains), and are repetitive (so boring). These characteristics make it difficult to emphasise and justify calls for human action to mitigate against the anthropic influence on the climate.

You are kidding me.  I gave you the book by De Loria not a Daily Kos diary.  What is it you are up to?

An idea is not responsible for who is carrying it. It stands or falls on its own merits.

by don mikulecky on Sun May 11, 2008 at 07:10:27 PM PDT

•  Cute donut there buddy....you know what... (1+ / 0-)
        lemming22

you might want to listen more.  I'm quite sure that I happen to know more about this than you do.  7

I happen to have a doctorate in Environmental History...and I NEVER heard of this De Loria.

I will never, ever, engage in a discussion with you again.

Utter foolishness.

by David Kroning on Sun May 11, 2008 at 07:15:24 PM PDT

•  You were not engaging in discussion. Diatribe is (1+ / 0-)
          linkage

not discussion.

The reference is in my diary.

Native American "wisdom" is a fallacy...
          Native Americans did not have environmentally-friendly socieites.

This is not a true statement as posed and your Amazon.com links do not say it is.  I granted you that is a part truth and offered you De Loria as one other view.  If you think you can convince anyone that this is universally true then try.

Now as to its relevance to my diary.  I never said word one about the practices of the native Americans with respect to the environment.  What I did do was to talk about their religious world view and its similarity to some aspects of Sagan's book.

Don't lecture me about bad discussion tactics sir.  You are the guilty party.  Any time you want to discuss my diary subject do so.  Flaunting your bias about Native Americans by pointing out that they did not live 100% according to their  beliefs is certainly off topic.  No culture has ever lived totally according to stated beliefs.  So what is your point if you have one?

by don mikulecky on Sun May 11, 2008 at 07:30:20 PM PDT

•  And, you need to go read the Dkos FAQ.... (1+ / 0-)
            lemming22

for a starter...

Because giving other users HR's simply because they state something that you disagree with is not appropriate.

And, you might want to consider that I took the time to come in here and discuss your diary with you, and even congratulated you.

It is wonderful to see people interested in discussing topics related to the environment and wishing to educate others.  But, you're just simply wrong on this point.  I can only suggest that you take the time to educate yourself.

I'm sorry to see that you lack the maturity to take any criticism of your ideas.

My "yahoo" links were intended to give you some additional literature to read and consider.

As I said, you won't have to worry about me in any more of your diaries.

by David Kroning on Sun May 11, 2008 at 07:38:13 PM PDT

•  Your "you need tos" along with the diatribe (0+ / 0-)

are what got you the donuts.  I did not give them to you for disagreements.  I even granted you the nasty diversion from the diary topic in an effort to get back on track.  No, it is your troll like use of another's diary to flaunt your "expertise" rather than discuss the diary that are at fault.  I stand behind my judgement about you.  You are not what you profess to be.  You have not answered one of my points.  That is how trolls behave.  You claim to have read the dKos FAQ but like other things you claim to know about, your understanding seems lacking.

by don mikulecky on Sun May 11, 2008 at 07:51:38 PM PDT

•  Oh please.... (1+ / 0-)
                lemming22

by David Kroning on Sun May 11, 2008 at 07:55:40 PM PDT

•  You still can't deal with it can you? (0+ / 0-)

Answer these questions:

What does the stuff you cited do to counter my citation about Native American religious beliefs?

What does your field of expertise have to do with anything in this diary?

What do the practices of Native Americans have to do with the subject of this diary?

Why do you feel that it is appropriate to use expressions like

Native American "wisdom" is a fallacy...

No, I'm sorry...you're simply not correct here.

without any clue what in the diary is being commented on?  For if you were to try you would have to apologize for not sticking to the diary topic.  I hope you do not do this professionally.  You would not get through a tenure hearing in any University I have been associated with.

by don mikulecky on Sun May 11, 2008 at 08:06:38 PM PDT

•  Memo: (1+ / 0-)
                  don mikulecky

Read / study sig. line

•  I wish I knew who this is for and which sig line. (0+ / 0-)

Sorry for being obtuse!

by don mikulecky on Sun May 11, 2008 at 08:21:34 PM PDT

•  Memo was for DK, although he is likely gone. (3+ / 0-)
                      Bob Guyer, linkage, don mikulecky

BTW, Perhaps we are not so limited by our language as we think: link

Humility, as Michael Casey, a Cistercian monk of Tarawara Abbey in Australia has written, is etymologically of the same root as earth, humus, and connotes, among other things, a going down to the essential substance of reality, to the place out of which all things grow. It is being in consonance with the truth.

•  That is neat! The concept is deeper than I (1+ / 0-)
                        linkage

realized.  I did not write about the section in Sagan about what happened to the astronauts as they looked back on earth.  Some of that in there too.

by don mikulecky on Sun May 11, 2008 at 08:47:15 PM PDT

•  You speak with forked tongue (1+ / 0-)
      linkage

Here's a comment elsewhere:

I don't like to over-intellectualize things...
      especially in a blog.