View Diary: Who Sez McCain has "Strong foreign policy experience"? (306 comments)

•  What I fear is that the perception of foreign (8+ / 0-)

policy knowledge has already been burned into the minds of the general public.  It's similar to HRC's claims of superior experience.  When the public and TM accept this perception as reality, it then becomes the political reality, and is very difficult to change.

'Who ever heard of superdelegates till a black guy was in the race?' -Chris Rock

by nicweb on Fri May 16, 2008 at 09:53:20 PM PDT

•  But not impossible... (9+ / 0-)

...damage McSame enough, just enough, on this front, and he'll be so busy defending himself on this front that he'll forget all about what is really driving swing voters this November...the Democrat's ace in the hole: the economy...

Abortions for some, miniature American flags for others.

by Aqualad08 on Fri May 16, 2008 at 10:10:04 PM PDT

•  I hope you're right. I don't know if my thoughts (7+ / 0-)

on this are an appropriate description of the general public or not, but I worry that the majority may be too intellectually lazy to accept anything but the simplified labels they've been spoon fed for years.  If we can make a big enough crack in the dam, however, you may be right and the whole thing will fall.

In regards to the economy, McCain is a joke.  He has no plan.  I think most people are beginning to realize this.  The economy will be the stake driven through the heart of the Republican Party while we march toward a great Democratic Revolution in 2008.

by nicweb on Fri May 16, 2008 at 10:16:05 PM PDT

•  People are starting to learn the price... (5+ / 0-)
          Granny Doc, LynneK, SciVo, soms, Tricky

...of their laziness...for years, they were told the economy was "strong"...it never was for a great majority of the country, and now that it is extremely clear that while they were sleeping, their pay wasn't rising alongside costs...

This is 1992 all over again, only worse for the GOP...

Abortions for some, miniature American flags for others.

by Aqualad08 on Fri May 16, 2008 at 10:20:19 PM PDT

•  If you keep telling people (8+ / 0-)

that the economy is strong and they see themselves slipping down a hole, they shut up, thinking there must be something wrong with them.  They don't share their fears, concerns and their reality because, after all, everyone else is doing just fine...aren't they?

No matter what happens ... somebody will find a way to take it too seriously." Dave Barry

by Granny Doc on Fri May 16, 2008 at 10:22:26 PM PDT

•  Ah, but the narrative has changed! (5+ / 0-)
              Granny Doc, SciVo, redtex, soms, Tricky

The media can no longer ignore the "R" word, and have of late been on it every night...gas prices...food costs...the fear of talking about is is subsiding at the exact right moment in history...

Abortions for some, miniature American flags for others.

by Aqualad08 on Fri May 16, 2008 at 10:25:32 PM PDT

•  I'm sorry if this seems to be a cliche way of (6+ / 0-)

framing your point, but we are upon the brink of a perfect storm by which to change our political realities for the better.  I fear this to be too idealistic.  But naive as I may be, this may be the best chance we've had so far.  My biggest hope is a paradigm shift in American politics.

by nicweb on Fri May 16, 2008 at 10:28:38 PM PDT

•  Thanks for beating this drum (3+ / 0-)
                  Granny Doc, SciVo, redtex

Among other things, I don't want Hillary on the ticket because she is clueless about this and her 'vision' does not suggest she will ever understand.

As far as McCain's foreign relations experience, this is a very good compilation. I knew some of his military history and the POW/MIA work. Also the trips to Iraq.

There's some definite platinum in here to store up for the GE.

Save, copy, send, repeat.

•  You're right. This brings us back to Obama's (5+ / 0-)
              catfood, skrekk, Granny Doc, redtex, Juan4All

"bitter" and "clinging" comments, which were some of the most honest and profound words I've heard uttered by a politician in a long time.

by nicweb on Fri May 16, 2008 at 10:32:01 PM PDT

•  yup, the failures become individual (3+ / 0-)
              Granny Doc, SciVo, redtex

the problems personal

and people accept suffering as some fault of their own while systemic causes remain unaddressed

[insert alienation here]

"There is no limit to what you can do if you have the power to change the rules." -Josh Marshall

by grollen on Fri May 16, 2008 at 11:35:13 PM PDT

•  The big "F" (1+ / 0-)
              Granny Doc

I lost my home before foreclosures hit the new. I felt like I was wearing a big scarlet "F" on my shirt. For failure and foreclosure.

Someday, I'll get up enough guts to diary the experience. I'd like all these people losing homes to be more that just a number. All the media does is drive by and take pictures of the signs. They don't talk about the terror and the heartbreak.

"...there is the United States of America." Obama

by redtex on Sat May 17, 2008 at 10:01:38 AM PDT

•  I appreciate your point. (8+ / 0-)

My greatest hope for this election is a paradigm shift that has happened a few times throughout our political history.   I certainly don't wish for the Republican Party to be destroyed, as it is vital that our country have multiple political parties to exercise the intent of our Republican.  However, I hope the party is so damaged that it will have to reinvest itself in such a manner that it no longer relies on divide and conquer to accomplish its goals.  Possibly, such a paradigm shift would allow the Democratic Party to move farther to the left, allowing the completion of what many consider dream projects like universal healthcare, ending poverty, gay marriage, etc.  The Republican Party may find it neccessary in such a shift to move more toward the middle.  I doubt that this will happen so dramatically, so fast.  However, I do expect that this may be the long term direction.  Progress has always found a way in our country, although it sometimes is as easy as pulling teeth.

by nicweb on Fri May 16, 2008 at 10:26:11 PM PDT

•  I think you might have missed the memo (4+ / 0-)
              gmhowell, Lashe, Granny Doc, SciVo

see, the Republican Party can't move to the middle because they already are the middle

see, and then everyone else becomes left of center and to avoid the label of Librul moves merrily over from the old-center to the new-center while the Republicans then become free to move the center further to the right while lambasting and demonizing everyone all over again

It reminds me a lot of the Great Loyalty Oath Crusade in Catch-22.

aside: if Bush as Cathcart and Cheney as Korn ...

by grollen on Fri May 16, 2008 at 11:46:20 PM PDT

•  I wonder if they (and we) wouldn't be better off (4+ / 0-)
              Lashe, Granny Doc, LynneK, SciVo

I'd like to see us work toward Instant Recount Voting. Every one gets to rate the candidates as their 1st, 2nd. 3rd choice. On the first tally, any of the candidates that don't make that group have  that vote changed to the voter's #2 choice. This continues until one candidate has >50% of the vote.

It allows smaller parties to get votes without the voter Nadering the election. Eventually we would be able to determine if the Greens were fielding better supported camdidates than the GOP. I don't think it would change fast, which could be fine. I just think more serious competition would help all the parties. There aren't too many democracies that only have 2 major parties. Or at least don't have some 3rd parties with a higher percentage of elected officials.

•  We need fusion voting for viable minor parties. (1+ / 0-)
                Granny Doc

My understanding is that fusion voting is much more important than instant-runoff voting, except for Presidential elections. If a fringe politician talks a lot more about instant-runoff voting than fusion voting, that indicates lazy egomania to me, a desire to go straight for the top without doing the hard work of building up a party first.

McCain '08: because a magical money fairy will keep us from having to tax rich people! And if you believe that, I have a country to sell out from under you.

by SciVo on Sat May 17, 2008 at 12:50:19 AM PDT

•  Issue: Kenneth J Arrow's "Monograph 14" (1+ / 0-)
                Granny Doc

Kenneth J Arrow's "Monograph 14" is a formal logic proof that it is possible for majority rules elections to select the least preferred candidate.

The thrust of it is that when you take the strength of preference into account, as this method does, it is logically possible to choose the person least preferred by the entire group.

Since it's only a possibility that can happen under special circumstances, it may still be better than our current method. Still, it should be studied before such a change is made.

If seniority equated to good judgment, McCain would be appointed president.

by Juan4All on Sat May 17, 2008 at 06:03:19 AM PDT

•  JMC's has a much bigger problem (6+ / 0-)

credibility, as the "Talk  with Hamas" video shows, there are thousands of hours of video with him several  several sides of every issue.

Just yesterday in the morning "out of Iraq by 2013", in the afternoon, when asked how he planned to do it "That is my dream, I didn't promise to be out of Iraq by 2013".

Yesterday news cycle was very important:

1. JMC was tied to GWB
      1. MSM picked up a NET story against JMC and used
      1. JMC's own press got pissed with him.
      1. The Straight Talk meme was disputed.
      1. BHO came out swinging.

If the meme that JMC will do and say anything to get votes gets out and settles in the public perception, he will be a walking wounded all the way to Nov.

"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." -- Mahatma Gandhi

by IamTheJudge on Sat May 17, 2008 at 05:30:14 AM PDT