View Diary: Open Thread for Night Owls & Early Birds (214 comments)

•  So, today... (1+ / 0-)
    Lava20

... somehow, I feel like less a member of the Democratic party than ever.

Don't get me wrong.  I'm very sad that Kennedy is terminally ill.  No one deserves a brain tumor, and it's awful that he has one.

But I really don't like the man.  Never have.  My bes wishes go to him and his family, in terms of having to deal with cancer, but the adulation over his career isn't something I share.

Also, I'll vote for Obama, but I don't like him that much.

And, the preferred Democratic candidate for NM-01 is lame.  I like Robert Pidcock better, but I don't think he has much of a chance.

I just get the feeling that according to the Democratic blogosphere, only Real Democrats™ fall over themselves for Kennedy, and only Real Democrats™ voted for Obama in their primaries (and to the fucktards who are saying ALL, not just SOME, Hillary voters are racist, please douse yourselves with gasoline, fire up a chainsaw, and fuck yourselves with it).

You looked better on Facebook...

by Page van der Linden on Wed May 21, 2008 at 12:02:21 AM PDT

•  I'd say if you're planning on voting for the nom. (4+ / 0-)

then you're a Democrat.

Especially if you can put personal likes and dislikes beneath politics.

As for the chainsaw, I'll wait til Hill's done with it.

So long as men die, Liberty will never perish. -- Charlie Chaplin, "The Great Dictator"

by khereva on Wed May 21, 2008 at 12:08:30 AM PDT

•  Real Democrats care about issues (4+ / 0-)

and the American people.

Fake Democrats wear bad toupee's and go to jail (Rostenskowski?!!).

I may have hope that Obama is real, but I understand the doubt.

Time will tell if Obama is elected.  Nonetheless he promises to be far better than what we have now.

We have become what they fear.

by tecampbell on Wed May 21, 2008 at 12:10:25 AM PDT

•  Turn off the tee vee. (3+ / 0-)
      Plutonium Page, harrije, tecampbell

You're a Democrat.  No doubt.

New Mexico is pretty.

"I'm a Muse, stupid!" -Serendipity in Dogma

by Lava20 on Wed May 21, 2008 at 12:12:21 AM PDT

•  Democrats Have Had An Astronomically Vast (1+ / 0-)
      Killer of Sacred Cows

pool of nontalent since JFK.

That has a lot to do with it.

If you don't like Obama, don't vote for him.

by Gooserock on Wed May 21, 2008 at 01:21:15 AM PDT

•  I abhore the pertty........... (4+ / 0-)

.......reasoning that many have when picking their choice of candidate. ie: like vs dislike, can't stand this or that personal habit or laugh, age vs youth, cloths, or anything else not related to how they would govern.

It isn't as if Clinton supporters haven't called all Obama supporters sexists, misogynists, and dupes of Obama's celebrety.

But people do make decisions based of all kinds of reasons, many perfectly stupid reasons, and there isn't a test for political equity or knowledge before one can vote.

There isn't a way of us all seeing any canidate as another sees them.

I wish more people would abstain from the name calling and vicious attaches for no reason at all. And stick to debating about the issues and policy ideas and history of the candidates. That way we would all be better informed and less apt to take our basketball home and refuse to play.

I like Obama's bottom-up (governance coming from grassroots) type organizing far more than the Clinton top-down (collection of political insiders forcing decisions on the party [DLC])style.

The reason this site has so many Obama supports is because we are a grassroots supportive site. We are at the cutting edge of advocacy for candidates from amoungst our communities and do not support candidates just because they can pay their way thru elections.

•  maybe you have been around since Jack died, (2+ / 0-)

maybe not.

But having lived through most of the Kennedy tragedies, I can imagine the weight Ted has carried all these years.  Most men in similar circumstances would probably have retired from public life.

He's made mistakes - most people do if they reach 76. But he has always been on the side of the common man and I will miss his voice in congress.

If we cannot elect this man, we don't deserve him.

by lisastar on Wed May 21, 2008 at 07:25:19 AM PDT

•  I'm not sure..... (0+ / 0-)

what your point is.

I wasn't speaking about the Kennedy's.

Yes, I lived thru the 60's and am favorably impressed with the service that family has committed to the American people, both great and poor alike.

And, personally, I'd like to see Obama choose Robert F. Kennedy Jr. for VP. A humanitarian/ecologist/lawyer/academic is far more the person I'd like to see in positions of governance than a military type.

•  my point was (0+ / 0-)

you were saying you never really liked Ted Kennedy.
          I am merely expressing my thoughts on Ted Kennedy based on having lived through many his family tragedies, which you may or may not figured in, depending on your age.

If we cannot elect this man, we don't deserve him.

by lisastar on Thu May 22, 2008 at 02:59:32 PM PDT