View Diary: Gambia: President plans to kill all homosexuals (395 comments)

•  refugee bonanza (2+ / 0-)
    Samer, dogemperor

Now any Gambian can get almost automatic refugee status in any Western country they want by showing evidence of homosexuality. I think once this is discovered, other poor nations will start begging their leaders to start crazy persecutions.

A pessimist is just a well-informed optimist.

by Marcion on Wed May 21, 2008 at 11:06:43 AM PDT

•  Two questions, (3+ / 0-)
      javelina, dogemperor, kyril

first, I can't tell if this is a joke or not; is it?

Second, Marcion as in Brother Marcion, or just a coincidence? :)

"I decided to force-feed him, but he wouldn't eat... I hated myself for making him eat, but I hated him more for not eating."

by Shaviv on Wed May 21, 2008 at 11:10:34 AM PDT

•  gallows humor (5+ / 0-)
        ohwilleke, javelina, dogemperor, kyril, Shaviv

Well, it's sort of finding the positive, because a lot of people want to have a cause to get refugee status in a Western country and this would be an iron clad one (I'm a refugee myself, so I'm versed in the value system of persecution that gets you past the interview) but I guess overall it woudl be classified as a joke, since gaining a reason to become a refugee doesn't really make up from being run out of your country by a bunch of bigots.

And two, it's a reference to the 2nd century gnostic theologian Marcion, I don't really know who Brother Marcion is and if that's a different guy. Who are you talking about, if there's a Brother Marcion out there, I want to be his friend.

A pessimist is just a well-informed optimist.

by Marcion on Wed May 21, 2008 at 11:36:53 AM PDT

•  I was thinking of the Br. Marcion from C&C3, (3+ / 0-)
          javelina, dogemperor, kyril

a tactical-command game with a detailed and pretty grim plot. He's a crowd-pleasing preacher and would-be Prophet who gets upstaged by the real Prophet.

I see the gallows humor. It was kind of funny, but I thought you might be one of the guys going "No, close the door quick before anyone gets in!" The more you know.

By the way, welcome. :3

by Shaviv on Wed May 21, 2008 at 11:43:29 AM PDT

•  This is absurd. (3+ / 0-)
      dogemperor, boofdah, MBNYC

It is very difficult – understatement! – to get asylum on the basis of queerness and persecution for same in the United States. It is also difficult in many other nations.

...just another hooligan from the Dalai clique

by RadioGirl on Wed May 21, 2008 at 11:32:06 AM PDT

•  In Europe, *maybe*. (5+ / 0-)

Europe might give refugee status--and this is very iffy in itself, as the UK has recently been refusing asylum to Iranian nationals who've fled due to that country's laws re LGBT people (namely, if you're outed, you're dead, usually by stoning).  Better chances would be had in mainland Europe, including Belgium, but this also depends on how much longer Europe is friendly to refugees in general.

Canada would be a pretty good bet, as it's been traditionally friendly to refugee cases like this.

The US...*laughs*  The US won't even recognise bi-national same-sex marriages and doesn't warn you in its travel advisories if being gay in a particular country will get you killed.  The US generally doesn't recognise being gay (and being a national of a country that kills gay people) as a valid asylum reason unless there is another reason more agreeable to the US government for granting of asylum (like, oh, being a national of Iran or a Moslem country in general)--and again, this is pretty much out the door if it's a Middle Eastern country we like such as Saudi Arabia (which also kills people for being out of the closet).

Australia is so hostile to refugees in general for any reason that it's not funny.  New Zealand may be friendlier.

My advice for refugees fleeing Ghana--try mainland Europe, Canuckistan, or Kiwiland.  Otherwise you may be out of luck.

•  Now changed (2+ / 0-)
        dogemperor, Cassandra Waites

The UK position has changed (see my diary) and Mehdi Kazemi now has leave to remain in the UK.

Hillary Clinton - More baggage than Wal Mart

by Lib Dem FoP on Wed May 21, 2008 at 05:07:16 PM PDT

•  This is really good news to hear! (1+ / 0-)
          Cassandra Waites

There's been a lot of us very concerned about that whole situation--glad to see Mr. Kazemi is at least going to be allowed to stay for now, but the whole situation needs to be fixed where LGBT people can use this as a valid asylum claim.

(Probably one reason the US is reluctant to allow this--among other things, theoretically a US citizen who is at threat of being sent to a "degaying" facility may try to claim asylum in a third country.  In the cases where kids were sent to WWASPS facilities in Mexico and Costa Rica that were eventually shut down by those governments, kids who were repatriated to their parents were often sent right back overseas to OTHER WWASPS facilities (often the horrid Tranquility Bay facility in Jamaica); seeing as "alternative sentencing" to things like Teen Challenge (which made a lot of its business by promoting "degaying" and is one of the largest groups in the US offering "reparative therapy"/"degaying" on an inpatient basis) is becoming more common, there's always a possibility that even someone in the US could well plead for asylum as a result of being sent to such a facility.

(In addition, it's already been established in the US itself in some jurisdictions that parents threatening to send kids to "degaying" facilities can be a reason for legal emancipation--and there are documented cases where parents have tried to interfere with emancipation proceedings of this sort.  If the US accepts people for asylum on the basis they could be harmed for being gay, it makes it a lot harder for the State Department to justify kids being sent overseas to abusive "degaying" facilities or even tolerating the operation of unlicensed facilities like Teen Challenge as "alternative sentencing".)

•  Gambia has given us her (1+ / 0-)
      kyril

most precious resource:

her Educated Class....

Literacy:

definition: age 15 and over can read and write
      total population: 40.1%
      male: 47.8%
      female: 32.8% (2003 est.)

Source

"My case is alter'd, I must work for my living." Moll Cut-Purse, The Roaring Girl - 1612, England's First Actress

by theRoaringGirl on Wed May 21, 2008 at 01:22:15 PM PDT