View Diary: Dems Offer Stop-Loss Payment Bill (90 comments)

•  It makes no difference to McCain... (4+ / 0-)

he's getting his 100% disability regardless.

•  Opposition to the G I Bill (12+ / 0-)

Is another form of stop loss.

I do not like thee, Doctor Fell, The reason why I cannot tell; But this I know, and know full well, I do not like thee, Doctor Fell.

by opinionated on Mon May 26, 2008 at 09:14:32 AM PDT

•  Exactly. (9+ / 0-)

McCain should be questioned over and over again about how denying benefits to the troops after they leave the service is an incentive for them to stay in or join in the first place.

What a hypocrite.

I long for the good old days where church was the place where we sang hymns and slept. (After Paula Poundstone)

by captainlaser on Mon May 26, 2008 at 09:22:54 AM PDT

•  It's All About Retention, Silly! (0+ / 0-)

If people are getting an education or otherwise bettering themselves, they won't volunteer to fight in a 50/100/1000 year war.

"A good craftsman never blames his tools." Keith Olbermann

by CityLightsLover on Mon May 26, 2008 at 12:51:46 PM PDT

•  McCain is trash (0+ / 0-)
          I was in Marc's earlier today which always has CNN on monitors above the checkout. While I was waiting in line to buy my basket of petunias, I was watching McCain talk about       thegI bill and how it would hurt retention. I started thinking about the remifications of what he's saying here. He's impugning the motives of every enlistee. He's attacking the military. But most of  all, the unspoken factor underlying what he's saying is that the military has been so abused that the only way to keep people without a draft is to trap those who don't have viable alternatives, mostly those on the lower end of the socio-economic scale. In short, for him to say this is so nasty, so heartless, so anti-American and so anti-military on so many levels, he should be ashamed of himself. What a disgrace he is.

We're retiring Steve LaTourette (R-Family Values for You But Not for Me) and sending Judge Bill O'Neill to Congress from Ohio-14: http://www.oneill08.com/

by anastasia p on Mon May 26, 2008 at 01:28:51 PM PDT

•  This is a great strategy (7+ / 0-)

let's force McCain to "poop or get off the pot".

John McCain - Like W. Only Older.

by InsultComicDog on Mon May 26, 2008 at 09:26:29 AM PDT

•  Better than that.... (5+ / 0-)

It s time to take back the veteran and military vote from the republican party.

Lets show vets that Democrats mean business not just rhetoric when it comes to "Supporting the Troops"

Obama should be able to say that one difference between him and McCain on the military is that while he did not serve he supports the troops while McCain who should know better screws the troops.

"I would like to see less people go to church on Sunday and more people volunteering among the poor and hopeless"

by comeinpbrstreetgang on Mon May 26, 2008 at 09:50:28 AM PDT

•  Agreed (1+ / 0-)
          comeinpbrstreetgang

It s time to take back the veteran and military vote from the republican party.

It will take some time, but the ingredients are there -- there was a strong buyer's remorse toward the administration among the troops where I was stationed last.

A key feature: getting the constant diet of "hate the Democrats" off the air.  As I posted elsewhere, at least an hour of every day on Armed Forces Radio was devoted to Rush Limbaugh.  When that's the only English-language station available, as it often is overseas, you've got a captive audience being bombarded with Republican propaganda.  And it's everywhere -- in your car, in the workplace, in the barber shop and commisary and exchange and so on.

•  I was driving yesterday (1+ / 0-)
          comeinpbrstreetgang
          through the backroads of beautiful upscale Chagrin Falls and there was a house with a yard sign t hat said "Support the troops. End the war." Don't think we don't have a shot at taking this district (Oh-14) come November.

by anastasia p on Mon May 26, 2008 at 01:30:03 PM PDT

•  Bet ya McCain will just skip the vote (0+ / 0-)
      That's his new M.O. All talk NO walk ... Especially if there is a conquence!
      •  Actually it's not his NEW MO (1+ / 0-)
        Kdoug
        It's his longtime MO, at least in the last few years. He has almost a 60% absentee vote record in the current session and it seems to keep growing. It first hit my radar back in January when I was researching a story I was doing about Dennis! Kucinich. One of his primary opponents was accusing him of being a "part-time congressman" and I was checking to see how true that was (not very). I pulled up the voting record of every senator and congressman who had been running at any point and as stunned to see that McCain apparently thinks he doesn't have to report for work anymore. He had the worst record of anyone. (Dennis! actually had the best record.)              When I did more digging, I learned that unlike Hillary and Obama, for instance, who were returning to DC for key votes, McCain seemed to be deliberately missing those votes, as if he were afraid to put himself on record. What a coward.

by anastasia p on Mon May 26, 2008 at 01:34:26 PM PDT

•  that's called a senate salary. (0+ / 0-)

To fully understand Christianity's duplicity, first recognize that the Vatican's St. Peter's Square is actually an oval.

by agnostic on Mon May 26, 2008 at 10:47:43 AM PDT