View Diary: Norquist: The Greatest Generation is anti-American (194 comments)

•  Curious (none)
    Do explain this intriguing thought.

"you may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one" - Lennon

by eugene on Mon Sep 20, 2004 at 08:15:47 PM PDT

•  The explanation is simple (none)
      Everyone who votes has a 401(k) plan, and many people watch CNBC or Bloomberg compulsively.

Everyone thinks they are a player in the stock market these days, and they are unwilling to question free-trade, they are uneasy about raising the minimum wage.  They oppose costly regulation.  Etc.

It undermines the ability to stand up to big business by appealing to class resentment.

That doesn't mean that the 401(k) is a bad thing in itself.  It certainly has helped me save more money that I ever would have otherwise.

But it has had a corrosive effect on the viability of progressive issues from health care, to pensions, to environmental protection, to workplace safety, to wages, and on and on down the list.

"Black folks voting for the Republican Party is like a bunch of chickens voting for Col. Sanders!"- JC Watts father

by BooMan23 on Mon Sep 20, 2004 at 08:29:11 PM PDT

•  Repeat After Me... (none)
        The Economy Does Better Under Democats.

The Economy Does Better Under Democats.

The Economy Does Better Under Democats.

The Economy Does Better Under Democats.

Its fun to say and it is true.

Don't make me get out my charts and aligator clip pointer.

/Kerry-Edwards 2004/ - Because America Can Do Better, Must Do Better, and Deserves Better

by ETinKC on Mon Sep 20, 2004 at 08:36:01 PM PDT

•  Yeah, but... (4.00)
          ...when's the last time the economy did well, consistently, providing a rising standard of living for a large number of folks? It was in the 1960s. The economy does better under Democrats but it does not do well under them, it's all they can do to get a little boom going. For true economic stability we need to revive the New Deal, for the 21st century.

"you may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one" - Lennon

by eugene on Mon Sep 20, 2004 at 08:41:27 PM PDT

•  I figured that out (none)
        See my post below.

I think Norquist is right on this matter. Americans have been cutting their own throats by owning stock and thus having a stake in increased corporate profitability, which has often come in the last 25 years at the expense of the American worker's wages and benefits, thus hurting everyone. It is a system with diminishing returns.

Moreover, as I understand it, things like the IRA were only introduced in the later '70s or 1980s as people began to lose confidence in the New Deal system's ability to provide for a decent standard of living, thanks to Vietnam-induced inflation. In a real sense then, those IRAs are a direct attack on liberal, Democrat economic thinking.

"you may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one" - Lennon

by eugene on Mon Sep 20, 2004 at 08:37:22 PM PDT

•  I know this is late (none)
          and you may never see this, but people didn't just spontaneously begin to worry about Social Security then; it was these same people who planted the seed then to grow this stinkweed called the "Ownership Society."  Folks need to understand that this man isn't crazy--he wants to return America back to it's "more pure" form which means a return to pre-New Deal America.  ANY social investment is socialism in his eyes and is therefore evil.  This man wants feudalism, plain and simple.  But he's NOT crazy.

The Republican economic platform: "Stop whining and pop a Prozac, girlie man!"

by AuntiePeachy on Fri Sep 24, 2004 at 06:12:32 PM PDT

•  Nah (4.00)
        Look, I am a worker, and I am a stockholder. But for the most part, I am still a worker. My interests are still not the same as those of CEOs. It may, to some degree, encourage me to appreciate the issues involved in the company's well-being. But it doesn't mean I'm prepared to see workers' rights and such gutted in the name of seeing my handful of shares gain a buck each.