View Diary: just curious: how much do you pay for gas (petrol)? &(poll) (139 comments)

•  We pay Zero (13+ / 0-)

Sold the car a few years back, now bicycle commute to work, shopping, etc... So does my wife, she is a minister and rides a bike to the church.

It's great. We cancelled the gym membership and car insurance. Lots of space in the garage for hobbies.

I'm amazed that people are still driving.

Headed up to a great conference next week (via Amtrak) in Portland. You all should come.

Towards Carfree Cities VIII: June 16-20, 2008
    Rethinking Mobility, Rediscovering Proximity

"Be yourself; everyone else is already taken." - Oscar Wilde

by greendem on Tue Jun 10, 2008 at 10:52:23 AM PDT

•  Beat me to it (5+ / 0-)

I pay nothing, and can't believe more people haven't kicked their own habit.

•  Hard to do in areas with poor mass transit (11+ / 0-)

My car commute is 12-15 minutes, bus took me 1 1/2 hours (including two bus changes) the time I tried it.

•  See my answer below (1+ / 0-)
          pixxer

In those areas, I feel terrible for those people.

Not so much where it's an option.

•  ok thanks for making that clarification! :) (3+ / 0-)
            Cyber Kat, BoiseBlue, pixxer

I commute 70 miles a day to my teaching job. I don't live in Tacoma or Seattle so mass transit is not an option for me...not even taking the bus. I bought a new toyota that gets 36-38 mpg but it still costs me about 50$ to fill the tank, at $4.29 a gallon here in Olympia. Because of the economy, nobody is retiring so I can't find a teaching job closer to home.

Politics is like driving...if you want to go backwards, choose R. If you want to move forward, choose D.

by fireflynw on Tue Jun 10, 2008 at 11:58:24 AM PDT

•  Yeah, similar here, but I AM starting to ponder (2+ / 0-)
          BoiseBlue, pixxer

whether I couldn't find a carpool at least a couple of days a week.  It would cramp my style, of course ... old habits die hard!

"The extinction of the human race will come from its inability to EMOTIONALLY comprehend the exponential function." -- Edward Teller

by lgmcp on Tue Jun 10, 2008 at 11:00:57 AM PDT

•  The only decent argument against carpools (5+ / 0-)

is that you can't smoke a joint on the way to work.

My response?

Well that depends who you ride with.

; )

"Be yourself; everyone else is already taken." - Oscar Wilde

by greendem on Tue Jun 10, 2008 at 11:04:09 AM PDT

•  I do pick up or drop off a student on my way (1+ / 0-)
            lgmcp

sometimes, when our highly variable schedules coincide.  The incremental cost of driving is still less than taking the bus, too, interestingly. We need cheap or token-fee mass transit that is so omnipresent as to make cars unnecessary. If there were never a need for a car, then the total cost, not the incremental cost, of driving would be the relevant figure.

•  Why are kids driven to school these days? (3+ / 0-)
              pHunbalanced, myboo, pixxer

We all rode bikes, took a bus, or walked.

What changed?

Could this be one of the causes of childhood obesity?

"Be yourself; everyone else is already taken." - Oscar Wilde

by greendem on Tue Jun 10, 2008 at 11:20:01 AM PDT

•  I took a bus to high school (0+ / 0-)

but this is college. Sorry was not clear. It's 10 miles on the freeway from my house.

One thing that is problematic is kids trying to carry 25 pounds of books home. I've heard this complained about but do not have a school-age child any more. Did we carry this many books?

•  Neighborhoods are being built (2+ / 0-)
                greendem, pixxer

without sidewalks, or are out in the boondocks from school and there are no sidewalks on the arterials. On a dark, rainy morning, few parents want their kiddos walking on a busy road. Budget cutbacks--because of the cost of fuel--mean that school districts are cutting back on how much transportation they can provide via school buses.

And, hate to say it, but it isn't safe anymore to let your kid walk to and home from school alone.

I walked everywhere or rode my bike as a kid, and I feel sorry that kids now don't have that blissful freedom we did.

Obesity is caused by sitting around all day and consuming high fructose corn syrup that is in most everything a kid likes to eat!

by fireflynw on Tue Jun 10, 2008 at 12:04:24 PM PDT

•  Wow, that's sad news (3+ / 0-)
                  pHunbalanced, fireflynw, pixxer

My neighborhood is 100 years old this year. The kids all walk to school and there are parks to play in.

P.S. it's not a fancy neighborhood. Mostly working-class African Americans and young white & south Asian families.

Location, location, location.

"Be yourself; everyone else is already taken." - Oscar Wilde

by greendem on Tue Jun 10, 2008 at 12:34:04 PM PDT

•  Urban neighborhoods or (0+ / 0-)

older suburban neighborhoods here in the Puget Sound are like you describe. Unfortunately, what used to be fields and farmlands are being snapped up by developers  and they squeeze 500 homes onto just a few acres..the houses are so close together that you literally can stand inbetween two of them and touch the outside wall of each. Commuting around the Puget Sound area is a nightmare because of these winding roads that go through miles and miles of these developments, and there is no place to walk or to play. And none of them are served by bus service unless you walk to a major arterial. Very poor planning but it puts millions of dollars in the pockets of the developers. And they scream when the legislature and local governments demand they pay for the roads that lead to their development.

by fireflynw on Tue Jun 10, 2008 at 06:56:31 PM PDT

•  incomplete mass transit and very dangerous (1+ / 0-)
          pixxer

roads for biking here in Boston.

There is a die-hard biking community, but bikers are killed every year. And, I wouldn't feel like a responsible mom subjecting my young daughter to that danger.

that said, we do minimal driving. I fill up maybe once a month, maybe less. With a couple of longish trips each year, I'm still only putting about 7-8,000 miles per year on it. Actually, that's probably less now. There were some heavy miles put on 9 years ago when I got the car and travelled more. Now, it's probably more like  4-5,000 per year. It will be 10 years old in a few months and there are 70,000 miles on it. Would love to do less, but the traffic is too dangerous.

•  Move to a city (2+ / 0-)
          pHunbalanced, pixxer

Suburbs are going to die, best get back to a city as soon as you can.

In California, the forclosed suburban houses often have fetid swimming pools in the back that have become mosquito ponds. The suburbs are becoming a vector for disease.

Houses are being raped of their copper wires and catching on fire.

It's really scary out there.

Cities are safer these days.

"Be yourself; everyone else is already taken." - Oscar Wilde

by greendem on Tue Jun 10, 2008 at 11:02:44 AM PDT

•  exactly! (1+ / 0-)
          pixxer

the nearest bus stop to my home is 4 miles away and i only work 7 miles from home...plus i run a small ice cream parlor and often have to run to the restaurant supply store (just once a week if i absolutely can't wait til the following week) and stop at the store on the way home (which is not out of my way at all) so for practical purposes bus doesn't work for me...now if the bus actually stopped near my house i'd take the bus 4 days a week and just do my all my driving stops on one day

"We have President Homer" - Jon Stewart 1/8/08

by Spedwybabs on Tue Jun 10, 2008 at 11:39:27 AM PDT

•  Some of us live in cities with few mass transit (6+ / 0-)

options and work in locations really only accessible by interstates (=bicyclist suicide).  Also, I have family who doesn't live in town.  I don't go all the time, but it is nice to see my nieces and nephews once in a while.

•  Ya know (6+ / 0-)

Try to take the dog to the vet, drop off dry cleaning, stop at the store for pampers and groceries all with a 4 year old and a six month old along for the ride on a bicycle.

Ah suburbia.

utahgirl

"I aim to misbehave." - Malcolm Reynolds

by nio on Tue Jun 10, 2008 at 11:01:19 AM PDT

•  Your my hero!! (2+ / 0-)
      greendem, pHunbalanced

I'm getting a new bike next week.

Not quite ready to get rid of the car entirely, but I am getting one of those covers for it.

Love, baby, that's where it's at. --The B52's

by Mind That on Tue Jun 10, 2008 at 11:07:58 AM PDT

•  And "You're" also my hero!! (0+ / 0-)

Love, baby, that's where it's at. --The B52's

by Mind That on Tue Jun 10, 2008 at 11:08:32 AM PDT

•  Free bottle of wine to any Kossack (1+ / 0-)
        pHunbalanced

Who ditches the car, and doesn't replace it.

You will find carfree life is really liberating.

With love,

Greendem.

"Be yourself; everyone else is already taken." - Oscar Wilde

by greendem on Tue Jun 10, 2008 at 11:22:34 AM PDT

•  How do you take a little trip on the weekend? (0+ / 0-)

Maybe that is also something I will have to learn to live without. It is 60+ miles to the beach (no bus), 75 to the mountains, 150 to see family, 300 to go winery hopping....I am wondering how carefree I would feel if I couldn't go when I want to...Looks like I need to think about what my reality will be in the future.

Crap.

by fireflynw on Tue Jun 10, 2008 at 12:18:14 PM PDT

•  We have a neighborhood car rental (1+ / 0-)
            pHunbalanced

shop, for trips out to the hinterlands.

But I also live 10 blocks from Amtrak which can take you many places.

Travel by train is great for a weekend getaway.

"Be yourself; everyone else is already taken." - Oscar Wilde

by greendem on Tue Jun 10, 2008 at 12:30:50 PM PDT

•  Bikes are great for weekend trips. (1+ / 0-)
            fireflynw

Unless you have no desirable destinations within a 60 mile radius, the bike is a great option for that.

•  True (0+ / 0-)

but I can't bike that far!  It would have to be about a 5 mile radius and that would be pushing it!

by fireflynw on Tue Jun 10, 2008 at 06:49:59 PM PDT