View Diary: I too wear a headwrap (96 comments)

•  Thank you so much for this diary (12+ / 0-)

I too was distressed by the responses given to the situation. I know had it been Clinton during the primaries or McCain at any point doing this, or their volunteers, everyone here would have been up in arms calling them racists and all sorts of other stuff.

I'm African American too, I'm not a Muslim, and I rarely wear any type of head scarf on my head. That being said, I was actually kind of hurt for those women and the way they were treated. I have my own theory on this, that I'd be happy to share with you (I really wish Kos had private messaging), but I am concerned.

It's nice that Obama has apologized personally, and that the campaign apologized before that, but I honestly think this whole mess could have been avoided.

How are the Democrats going to protect us from terrorists, if they can't even protect us from Republicans?

by Muzikal203 on Fri Jun 20, 2008 at 05:33:15 AM PDT

•  Unfortunately (10+ / 0-)

There is no cure for stupid volunteers. There are plenty, and there will be plenty more.

Hopefully this got enough press that it won't happen again.

•  I read your comments (5+ / 0-)

in the other diary and much of what you said prompted me to write this diary.

My email is listed on my main page - would be happy to discuss.

I don't know how it could have been avoided - since I do think the volunteers were dumb.

I feel confident it won't happen again - but I do think  we need an open discussion of not just racism - but how
      we handle "difference".

Anthropologists for human diversity; opposing McCain perversity

by Denise Oliver Velez on Fri Jun 20, 2008 at 05:36:46 AM PDT

•  I think it could have been avoided had Obama (6+ / 0-)

taken a different approach to the Muslim "smear." I have a real problem with a legitimate religion that does a lot more good than harm being demonized the way Muslims have.

Instead of spending so much time and energy saying "I am not a Muslim, I'm a Christian" and laughing about the absurdity of "accusing" him of being a Muslim, he should have taken the time to do just a little of what he did with race, and address it intelligently. Sure, he did say that not all Muslims are radical extremists to be feared, but I honestly don't feel like he did enough. If those people are volunteering, I reckon they pay a lot of attention to what's going on and being said, and not just from the TV, so I really think if Obama spent more time talking about TOLERANCE of other religions and cultures and LESS time simply denying that he's a part of those religions and cultures, it would go a long way.

I'm not saying he's going to be the cure-all to all of the bigotry in this country, but he could have done a lot more than he did. And I only have this type of expectation from him because he put himself out there as the person that will unite the country and that everyone should be treated equal. Muslims in this country are almost being treated the way African Americans were during the Civil Rights era. There's this irrational hatred and fear of them, and NO ONE is really standing up for them.

by Muzikal203 on Fri Jun 20, 2008 at 05:42:10 AM PDT

•  Give him time - I think he will do that (7+ / 0-)

It is hard to fight everything at once - remember - he was getting hammered in party and from without.

We have a lot of "unlearning" to do - and if you see how hard the Republicans are now pushing the 9/11 fear smear stuff - you will have to agree that we have a set of serious problems.

Geez - he's painted as an "elite, non -working class, black militant, un patriotic, black man , who is not black, but too black "Muslim", egghead"

We will undergo more tests - this is probably the first Presidential campaign in many years which will teach America about itself.

Anthropologists for human diversity; opposing McCain perversity

by Denise Oliver Velez on Fri Jun 20, 2008 at 05:47:41 AM PDT

•  He's had almost a year to deal with this (4+ / 0-)
            shanikka, empathy, earicicle, Deoliver47

and he didn't. Even when it came to light on Monday, the campaign issued the boilerplate statement, and then released a picture of him posing with a woman wearing traditional head-gear, which to me is the equivalent of Bush saying he DOES like Black people because he has a "black friend" named Condoleeza.

Again, he's the reason I have these higher standards when it comes to him. He placed them on himself, and maybe he shouldn't have done that because it will be virtually impossible for him to live up to his rhetoric all, or even most, of the time.

But I'm done hijacking your diary with this topic, I'm sending you an email right now :o)

by Muzikal203 on Fri Jun 20, 2008 at 05:50:57 AM PDT

•  He hasn't done that; honestly, you haven't listen (3+ / 0-)
          Deoliver47, Alohilani, KentuckyKat

Every time he's done with it he's said that the slur is not just against him but also against Muslims. I've never heard him say one without the other. Listen carefully.

•  It is Something to Ponder (5+ / 0-)

The managing of visual image that this campaign has engaged in when it comes to racial/ethnic messaging.  It occurred when I saw him in Oakland, for example, last year.  It wasn't the hijab or other symbols of Muslim heritage that was being "managed" - it was Black and Asian people.  I was close enough to see volunteers literally moving folks' seats around to make sure that there were enough white people sitting behind him, wearing that day the "O'Bama" teeshirts (since it was close to St. Patrick's Day.)

In Oakland.

So I don't think it's just "stupidity" - even though it is indeed stupid.  I do think that there is, in at least some elements of this campaign, a genuine terror that Barack Obama not be seen linked to too many "non-traditional" (especially non-white) images, and when he is seen, particularly in Black contexts, it can only be in a way that reinforces, rather than challenges, majoritarian thinking.

Sort of like that brand new ad that folks here were all in love with, that just left me shaking my head......

•  OT: Hey! (1+ / 0-)
          Deoliver47

I saw that you responded to my blog yesterday, thanks! I replied over there :o)

by Muzikal203 on Fri Jun 20, 2008 at 06:23:58 AM PDT