View Diary: Sunday Talk - The Lap Dog Express (246 comments)

•  Don't cancel (8+ / 0-)

just change the channel -- I've been watching ESPN more than CNN lately, and about the only time I tune to MSNBC is when "Countdown" is on (and I'm suffering from severe Keith withdrawal symptoms tonight -- can't wait till Monday!).

If you're not into sports, try Animal Planet or one of the Discovery networks -- though Planet Green's been getting the thumbs down from a lot of the folks in the know. (Planet Green is the former Discovery Home -- must admit I miss the Garden Police and Holmes on Homes.)

"Old soldiers never die -- they get young soldiers killed." -- Bill Maher

by Cali Scribe on Sat Jul 05, 2008 at 09:07:19 PM PDT

•  None Of The Channels You're Suggesting Floats My (5+ / 0-)

boat.

I like the old movies on TMC and I love C-SPAN.  Other than that I hate the infomercials and religious shows that I CAN NOT opt of.

The ONLY reason this trash isn't gone ( to be replaced by DVDs and Internet replays of my choosing) is my SO (sigh).

Thanks for the suggestions though.  What do you know about JOOST?  Is it a viable alternative to cable?

"You can tell the truth but you better have a fast horse." - Rita Mae Brown -8.38, -5.54

by majcmb1 on Sat Jul 05, 2008 at 09:15:35 PM PDT

•  We have a 24-hour city news channel (3+ / 0-)
        majcmb1, trashablanca, InsultComicDog

NY1.

Along with my broadband and VoIP we're locked in.

My sweet wife watches NY1 every single morning and it's a truly great channel.

•  JOOST... (1+ / 0-)
        majcmb1

is worth messing around with, since it's free, but I wouldn't call it a viable alternative. I haven't used it in quite a while, but last time I did I just didn't find that much stuff worth watching.

If you have digital cable, video on demand is a great alternative.

And my teevee is tuned to either History, History International, Science or Nat Geo most of the time.

-8.25, -6.26 "I'm not superstitious. But, I AM a little stitious." - Michael Scott

by snookybeh on Sun Jul 06, 2008 at 06:51:10 AM PDT

•  History Channel! (0+ / 0-)

And on the weekends, BookTV on C-Span 2. With that and PBS, I'm set.

(except, of course, when History Channel does their UFO/supernatural kinda shows that they run to get the $$$ for the good stuff)

May your entire existence be one sensuous, frolic-filled experience lived in defiance of care.

by Fonsia on Sun Jul 06, 2008 at 01:32:03 AM PDT

•  HIstory Channel is also the propaanda channel (1+ / 0-)
        majcmb1

along with its offspring and the Military Channel. Most of what they show is WWII stuff or American Triumphalism history.  Some of the stuff is OK but they are heavily larded with crap like "The Real Jesus" and "The Forbidden Bible" and such along with "Hitler and the Occult" or some other far reach.
        Rarely do you see anything on the Civil Rights Movement or the Harlem Renaissance or the Freedman's Bureau or any number of other topics.
        The channels are just too saccahrine for me.

•  oh man, that's the best stuff (0+ / 0-)

"Monster Quest" is the greatest. show. evah. And, after a rough start, "UFO Hunters" has gotten pretty good.

the stuff I get sick of pretty quick are the he-man shows, "Ice Road Truckers" and the like. I get the point pretty quick - okay, you're driving a truck across the frozen Arctic Ocean and could fall in and die; or you're losing limbs or fingers chopping down great big trees. I'm inferior to you. I get it.

by snookybeh on Sun Jul 06, 2008 at 07:59:08 AM PDT

•  History Channel/History International (0+ / 0-)

except that they repeat, repeat, repeat - but I love them anyway.

"Statistics are people with the tears washed away." Sociologist Ruth Sidel