View Diary: Even McCain can't answer the question (325 comments)

•  Ahem. Clark showed no disrespect. (27+ / 0-)

In fact, he praised McCain's service.

He just pointed out that getting shot down in your plane does not qualify you to become President.

Inartful, maybe (though I doubt it; seemed artful to me); disrespectful, no.

Try my dream: President Obama

by MrSandman on Wed Jul 02, 2008 at 05:28:35 PM PDT

•  What you said. n/t (5+ / 0-)

Introvert since 1958. Poet since 1965. Voter since 1976. Politically awake since 2003.

by Lize in San Francisco on Wed Jul 02, 2008 at 05:33:24 PM PDT

•  And said calmly and politely. That Wes Clark. I (8+ / 0-)

bet he plays a great game of poker. And chess.

"The Republican Party is a dead rotting carcass with a few decrepit leaders stumbling around like zombies handcuffed to a corpse." Larry Hunter

by TheWesternSun on Wed Jul 02, 2008 at 05:50:37 PM PDT

•  It's quite possible... (1+ / 0-)
      pradeep

... that General Wesley Clark was asked a similar question when he was running for prez in '04.

What, about his military experience, qualified him to be president?

Clark, as a general and a career officer, actually did have to make multiple kinds of tougher decisions than McSame... but likely someone asked Clark the same question.

If McSame can't handle the question with his notoriously short temper.....

(¯`*._(¯`*._(-IMPEACH-)_.*´¯)_.*´¯)

by NonnyO on Wed Jul 02, 2008 at 06:07:27 PM PDT

•  that is not my point at all (0+ / 0-)

disrespect is just bringing up this issue.

When the swifties bought up the issue of kerry's nam experiences I thought it was disrespectful,period

He is so much more disqualified on other issues; why pick on him in the only area he seems qualified in every poll.

ok so we know he isn't even qualified there but why not fight on our home field?

I was in the korean war; im no here, believe me but i saw many who were. I am touchy on this issue,sorry.

•  I do not see this as a 'qualification". (1+ / 0-)
        cjaznik45

But Holy State (we have lived to learn) Endeth in Holy War. - Kipling

by nargel on Thu Jul 03, 2008 at 03:23:05 AM PDT

•  No one here, that I know of... (1+ / 0-)
        irrationalbutsane

would EVER disrespect Senator McCain for his undeniable service to our country.  I come from a long line of military folks, am married to a vet, and have several relatives still in the military. I'd be the first person to jump down someone's throat if I felt they were denigrating military service.

That being said, Mr. McCain's service to our country makes him no better qualified to lead the nation than the Nam service of my brother, or my father-in-law's POW time in Germany.  It is one factor to take into account, yes.  But that service, while honorable and meaningful, will not in and of itself qualify the person to hold the highest office in this land.

While I would personally like to see us concentrate on other issues, if Senator McCain is going to shove his wartime record in my face as a reason to vote for him, I'm going to support using that service as a debatable point. Not as a denigratable point, but as to why that service should make him qualified to be president.

The apocalypse will require substantial revision of all zoning ordinances. - Zashvill Political compass -7.88 -7.03.

by Heiuan on Thu Jul 03, 2008 at 10:39:14 AM PDT

•  i agree it doesnt qualify him (1+ / 0-)
          Heiuan

the issue (alhtough most of the people on this blog don't understand it)is
          that it does not DISQUALIFY him

we will lose this election on this one issue alone unless we wake up
          repubs are shrewder than us  why do u think limbaugh signed deal for 300 million today?
          all they have to do,and they will do it; is twist this around and implant in motion the idea that we are saying he is disqualified because of his service
          not sure u know the history of his imprisonment
          it is fraught  with land mines
          sean and rush and oreilly and coulter
          are leading us into the mine fields
          i know how they operate

•  Oh, absolutely (1+ / 0-)
            irrationalbutsane

his service will not disqualify him.  I really think this whole entire cluster **** has been blown up way out of proportion.  I whined about how the 10 second sound byte has damaged us, this is what I mean. Clark gets tossed under a bus because Schieffer's statement is left out of the snippet.

I guess the best thing that we can do is simply try to disengage.  I have to admit I liked the way Obama handled the issue at his speech in Ohio.

Peace.

by Heiuan on Thu Jul 03, 2008 at 03:15:00 PM PDT

•  Not a word Clark said was "inartful" (2+ / 0-)
      Vicky, jrojas

It was good staight talking truth, no gimmicks, no disrespect. Schieffer broke into Clark's comments to challenge Clark's assertion that Obama had the superior judgment needed to be president since McCain flew a fighter that got shot down and Obama never did. Clark's reply was both deft and artful if anyone has the common decency to listen to it in context and not twist it into a fake claim that Clark "attacked" McCain.

I love the way Clark described his reply to Schieffer on the Ed Schultz show:

"GENERAL WESLEY CLARK: Well, I mean, if someone asked you is the sun is shi- if the sun is shining, you said, 'Yes, the sun is shining,' you wouldn't have HAD to say that. You could've said, 'Well the sky's blue and there are no clouds,' but basically I just answered the question that was asked."

•  I think Obama is a man who chooses words (1+ / 0-)
        Vicky

very carefully. If you remember, "inartful" is exactly the word he used to describe his comment about rural voters clinging to guns and religion. That comment as well was absolutely true, but because of the nature of the press and the power of soundbites, it was truly "inartful." Clark's retort in which he repeats the interviewer's comment, while completely true, was also inartful in the same way because it was subject to the same twisting and distorting that Obama's former comment was subjected to. Clark should have merely reiterated his inital point that military service is not automatically a qualification for an executive position instead of repeating that comment.

I agree when you say the comment is deft and artful IF anyone has common decency. But the media doesn't. That's why Samantha Powers had to be sent packing. Any slip of the tongue will pushed and hammered for maximum damagae, regardless of the sense or truth of the attack. It is a poisoned atmosphere. Common decency and common sense or even just fairness are utterly lacking.

My final conclusion on this: This is a black op. Clark was sent out to bring up this issue and he was told he would be on his own.