View Diary: John McCain forgot that he had an affair (285 comments)

•  It isn't the affair that bothers me so much (27+ / 0-)

for I am not holier than thou.  It is the LYING about the circumstances in his autobiography that is disturbing.

The court papers reveal that McCain LIED about what happened.

Obama: "Because We Won... We Have to Win." 6/6/08

by Drdemocrat on Fri Jul 11, 2008 at 01:39:26 PM PDT

•  Lied in the book, not in court. (2+ / 0-)
      leolabeth, NogodsnomastersMary

If I understood the diary correctly.

Of course, it would be nice to have a Prez who told the public the truth . . . but I think ordinary adultery should be out of bounds. See my other comment on this diary about Newt and closeted gays.

-4.25, -4.87 "If the truth were self-evident, there would be no need for eloquence." -- Cicero

by HeyMikey on Fri Jul 11, 2008 at 02:18:43 PM PDT

•  The original LA times piece, (2+ / 0-)
        lirtydies, Vicky

linked in the first line of this story, says that he lied in his divorce court declarations also, if memory serves.

I could have been a soldier... I had got part of it learned; I knew more about retreating than the man that invented retreating. --Mark Twain

by NogodsnomastersMary on Fri Jul 11, 2008 at 02:25:31 PM PDT

•  Nope. (0+ / 0-)

I just read it. It's clear McCain was seeing Cindy while married to Carol. I see nothing that says he wasn't still "cohabiting" with Carol at the time.

by HeyMikey on Fri Jul 11, 2008 at 02:35:15 PM PDT

•  You don't think (1+ / 0-)
            ROADRUNNER DEM

that this

"I spent as much time with Cindy in Washington and Arizona as our jobs would allow," McCain wrote. "I was separated from Carol, but our divorce would not become final until February of 1980."

An examination of court documents tells a different story. McCain did not sue his wife for divorce until Feb. 19, 1980, and he wrote in his court petition that he and his wife had "cohabited" until Jan. 7 of that year -- or for the first nine months of his relationship with Hensley.

reflects a lie by McCain in court documents as well as a lie in his book? He represented to the divorce court that he was still fulfilling all the marital duties of a husband up until January 7 of 1980, while in the meantime by his own later admission he and the future young cookie Mrs. McCain were spending every spare minute together.
            I find your faith in McCain's veracity oddly touching, but misplaced.

by NogodsnomastersMary on Fri Jul 11, 2008 at 04:01:12 PM PDT

•  Take your emotion out of it. (0+ / 0-)

I didn't say he had any veracity. I said he lied in his book.

I am also willing to believe he lied in court -- if someone shows me the evidence.

You think he lied in BOTH the book and in court? Again, that's possible -- but you can't say court is a lie because it contradicts book, and book is a lie because it contradicts court. Do you have a third source of info?

"Cohabiting" is not "fulfilling all the duties of a husband." Cohabiting is where you have a primary residence. Considering Congresspeople are expected to spend a lot of time in Washington, D.C., while having a primary residence elsewhere, it should be pretty easy to have an affair in Washington while still cohabiting with wife at home.

To spell it out: McCain said in court that he cohabited with Carol till 1/7/80. Apparently other evidence showed he started an affair with Cindy 9 months earlier -- I presume around April 1979. Is there any evidence he'd already moved in with Cindy? Where was his mail coming? Where were his socks, and his toothbrush, and his high school yearbook? Where did he unstop the toilet, and park the car he took for oil changes? If all that stuff was at Carol's house till 1/7/80, I'd say he was cohabiting with Carol, even if he was screwing Cindy while he was in Washington.

There are plenty of REAL reasons to vote against McCain. If we try to invent ones that aren't there, it just makes us less credible.

by HeyMikey on Fri Jul 11, 2008 at 09:52:46 PM PDT

•  Lying about an affair is a 2 on the outrage-meter (0+ / 0-)

Sorry.  The idea that he "forgot" would be more damning at this point, given the narrative about his age.

Political compass: 0.0, -4.92

by freedc on Fri Jul 11, 2008 at 02:48:17 PM PDT

•  It's okay if you're a Republican (0+ / 0-)

"..the big trouble with dumb bastards is that they are too dumb to believe there is such a thing as being smart." Kurt Vonnegut

by GreenDog on Fri Jul 11, 2008 at 03:15:04 PM PDT

•  remember Bush's lies...we dont torture (0+ / 0-)

WMD
      'fight them over there...'
      mission accomplished

Not another 4 years of lies!
      Cant America recognize a decent man anymore?
      Obama and his family are a gift to us.  Thank you, God.

Where people fear the government there is tyrany: "Where the government fears the people, you have liberty." Thomas Jefferson

by ROADRUNNER DEM on Fri Jul 11, 2008 at 05:59:15 PM PDT