View Diary: Conservative bloggers say Bush sucked (274 comments)

•  And here is the thing: (4.00)
    If Kerry won the foreign policy debate - Bush's perceived greatest strength - he is going to absolutely lay waste to him in the other debates.

"He needs a slave for his vision of the promised land / No I don't believe a word" Stone Roses

by spot on Thu Sep 30, 2004 at 09:04:00 PM PDT

•  Exactly (none)
      THIS was Bush's strong suit. And Kerry took it to him. Bush's advisors are gonna do their darndest to make Bush more personable in the next two debates (aka get rid of the smirk and foul looks) but Kerry showed he is clearly the better man.

Even the freepers know this. When you take away the Republican machine and the spinmeisters, Bush is simply a lesser man than Kerry.

•  I think they already tried to get rid of the smirk (none)
        I think that's what the lemon-sucking pursed mouth thing was all about in the first part of the debate.

And really, can't they do something about that weird eyebrow?

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt." Bertrand Russell

by Emerson on Thu Sep 30, 2004 at 09:52:34 PM PDT

•  He looked like (4.00)
          he really resented being there, having to answer questions about the mess he has made.

He played the pletulant, face making child to Kerry's calm, collected fatherly command.

If style counts for more than substance these days, we creamed Bush.

•  To be sure (4.00)
            If America was looking to determine which candidate was "alpha male", they got their answer.  At best, GW has a severe uphill battle to fight for that title back.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the only thing GW has going for him is his incumbency; the fact that he's president gives him a lot of cache.  On the stump, in front of adoring crowds, he can run with that perceived status as alpha male.  But next to Kerry -- an even which has never, ever happened before tonight -- he becomes merely a candidate for the presidency, which the public always understood only in theory, but not in such stark conditions as a one-on-one debate makes clear.

It used to be The Dear Leader vs. His Opponent.  Now it's just one candidate against the other, may the best man win and all that.  Given these circumstances, Kerry's natural alpha male-ness has finally come front and center, and all he has to do is keep it rolling and he's going to be getting his landslide on Nov. 2.

Meanwhile, us poor blokes in SW WA will be getting our landslide off the face of Mt. St. Helen's in the next couple weeks or so.  I just hope I live long enough to see Kerry elected.  But if the volcano burps up on Nov. 3, I will die a happy, happy man.

•  my dad said (none)
              exactly the same thing. it bears repeating that people go with the one who will lead us. its called surrendering to a greater being.

I believe children are the future - unless we stop them now. -Homer Simpson

by jkennerl on Thu Sep 30, 2004 at 11:01:14 PM PDT

•  I also noted how he scooted away... (none)
               from the much taller Kerry as soon as the debate was over. I also just dropped inover at Freeper Central and looked around...ewwwwwwww.
                  Evidently they've had some time to get over their shock at how Kerry wiped the floor with their boy and now they're slinging around the NY Post (Dick Morris)quotes to make themselves feel better.

"Calmer than you are Dude....calmer than you"

by sula on Fri Oct 01, 2004 at 12:14:22 AM PDT

•  Incumbency (none)

True, but that isn't much of an advantage since with that comes his record hung around his neck like an albatross.

I'd say his real advantage is the Republican Noise Machine spinning for all it's worth - the rah-rah boys and girls who "won" him the first debate back in 2000.

Hopefully even they can't spin last night's awful performance by Dear Leader though (yeah, I'm an optimist...).

•  Yep (none)
          Why do you think the Bush camp was desperate to force the networks to not provide the cut-away shots...?

Because they know their trained monkey doesn't do well when confronted with criticism.

He is a spoiled frat-boy flunkey whose family has had the power and influence to always prop him back up while Babs plays storm-trooper in defending "her son".

Back in 2000, Bush was a relatively unknown quantity to the public at large.. was the challenger... not defending a disastrous failure as a record, and the country was on collective cruise control jerking off to "Reality T.V."... so the petulance was not at the surface and glaring for all to see.

cheers,

Mitch Gore

No one will change America for you. You must work to make it happen.

by Lestatdelc on Fri Oct 01, 2004 at 02:47:21 AM PDT

•  THIS IS GREAT (none)
          Go here

Click on Faces of Frustration

I think this is pretty good. If John Kerry had been acting this way, talk radio would have ripped him a new one. To me it comes off as disrespectful. I am one of those ritalin kids that has trouble keeping still but this was borderline rude.

•  aahahahahahaha! (none)
        aka get rid of the smirk and foul looks

Looks like the poor bastard actually started thinking he's the one responsible for getting himself to where he is today.

It's amazing what happens when you listen to the other person's opinion --- GWB, 12/18/00

by Doug in SF on Fri Oct 01, 2004 at 12:24:27 AM PDT

•  Do we see the September employment (none)
      numbers tomorrow? If so, and they are bad, it will be like the world is peeing all over President Bush.

"I'm not saying that John Kerry has all the answers, but Bush has none, and he's cheating off of Dick Cheney's paper."-Bill Maher

by theprogressivemiddle on Thu Sep 30, 2004 at 09:52:46 PM PDT

•  it would be (none)
      it would be helpful to perpetuate a CW media
      watch as to whether Bush will change his
      personality for the next debate....but him under
      the microscope a la the media f'ng of Gore.
    •  damn there are (none)
      a lot of smart and wise people in this community.
      I'm used to advising people. I love being able to sit back and watch wiser people take the lead.