View Diary: Yes, We Can: 10 Things Americans Need to Quit Whining About and Just Do Already (58 comments)

•  Sorry if I offended you (0+ / 0-)

but my life is not lived in a cage.

And I get that you're really against the idea of people driving everywhere.

But the great thing about living in the US is that you're free to drive if you want to. Or you're free to bike if that's your thing.

Listen to me: Psychos do NOT explode when sunlight hits them! I don't give a f*ck HOW crazy they are! - George Clooney, From Dusk til Dawn.

by Madam Blu in Peoria on Thu Jul 17, 2008 at 11:09:56 AM PDT

•  I think I offended you more than you offended me (1+ / 0-)
      pHunbalanced

And I also think you overlooked the part about how American automobile use is destroying the necessary conditions for human life on this planet.

"The great lie of democracy, its essential paradox, is that democracy is first to be sacrificed when its security is at risk." --Ian McDonald

by Geenius at Wrok on Thu Jul 17, 2008 at 11:12:30 AM PDT

•  Then the "cage" isn't the automobile... (1+ / 0-)
        Madam Blu in Peoria

...It's the internal combustion engine as we know it.  More precisely, it's burning petroleum.  Get off that (or vastly increase MPG)--voila!, no "cage".  (Unless any private transport is a "cage".)

The '60s were simply an attempt to get the 21st Century started early....Well, what are we waiting for? We're eight years behind!

by Panurge on Thu Jul 17, 2008 at 12:41:45 PM PDT

•  The "cage" is a lack of choices (1+ / 0-)
          pHunbalanced

It's comfortable when the only option available is the one you'd choose anyway. It becomes confining when you begin to wish you had alternatives.

by Geenius at Wrok on Thu Jul 17, 2008 at 02:04:08 PM PDT

•  Which brings me back to... (0+ / 0-)

...my life isn't lived in a "cage", even your metaphorical one.

And I never said that I, personally, choose to drive everywhere. I'm lucky enough to live close enough to my job to walk or bike, and everything else I need is in between the two.

Not everybody is so lucky, for whatever reason.

Besides, it's the greatest hubris of human existence to think that we can destroy this planet. We might destroy ourselves, which we would deserve, but the planet will be fine.

by Madam Blu in Peoria on Thu Jul 17, 2008 at 02:49:01 PM PDT

•  Any private MOTORIZED transportation, I think n/t (0+ / 0-)

by Madam Blu in Peoria on Thu Jul 17, 2008 at 02:49:43 PM PDT

•  I'm Moving Cross Country Because That Rural Life (1+ / 0-)
      Geenius at Wrok

is priced out for me now. We're heading for a rust belt region from one of the most beautiful parts of the country, Puget Sound, to where there are maybe 50 major cities within 500 miles, some mass transit and opportunity for more, and generally much closer driving destinations.

Our great plains were oversold when originally settled and they've been gradually emptying out for a long time.

This new energy and economic reality is going to begin significant large numbers of people out of underpopulated areas all over.

That America where "you" are free to drive is going to be coming to an end for sheer economics in a large number of areas.

by Gooserock on Thu Jul 17, 2008 at 08:59:46 PM PDT