Skip to main content

View Diary: $20 away from being on the street: Facing Poverty at UC (39 comments)

Comment Preferences

  •  California Food Stamp eligibility (0+ / 0-)

    Citizenship/Immigration Status
    Certain non-citizens such as those admitted for humanitarian reasons and those admitted for permanent residence are eligible for food stamps. Eligible household members can get food stamp benefits even if other members of the household are not eligible. Food stamp eligibility is available to most legal immigrants who:

    Have lived in the country for five (5) years, or
    Are receiving disability-related assistance or benefits, regardless of entry date, or
    Are children under 18 years of age regardless of entry date.
    Non-citizens who are in the U.S. temporarily, such as students, are not eligible. A number of States have their own programs to provide benefits to immigrants who do not meet the regular Food Stamp Program eligibility requirements. California's program is the California Food Assistance Program.

    Food stamp households, except those containing an aged or disabled member or where all members receive cash assistance, are subject to gross and net income determination tests. Gross Income – all non-excludable income from any source including all earned income and all unearned income. The maximum gross allowed is 130% of the Federal poverty level (FPL) or 165% of the FPL if the household has an elderly or disabled person who qualifies to be a separate household. If the household passes the gross income test, then the net income test is computed. Net income is computed by deducting the following, if applicable, from gross income. The resultant amount cannot exceed 100% of the FPL.

    Earned income has an allowable deduction of 20% (i.e., 80% of the gross earned income counts in the calculation of benefit levels). Examples of earned income include wages and salaries, striker's benefits, etc.
    Standard Deduction – A deduction allowed per household per month. $134 for households of 1 – 3 persons, $143 for 4 persons, $167 for 5 persons, and $191 for 6 or more persons (effective 10/1/07).
    Excess Shelter – A monthly shelter cost in excess of 50% of the household's income after all above deductions are considered. The excess shelter deduction must not exceed the current maximum of $431 (effective 10/1/07).
    Homeless Household Shelter – Available to homeless persons who are not receiving free shelter for the entire month. If the homeless shelter allowance is used, separate utility costs are not allowed because the homeless shelter allowance includes a utility component. The current allowance is $143.
    Standard Utility Allowance (SUA) – Allowed for a household that incurs utility costs, which are separate and apart from the household's rent/mortgage payment. The current allowance is $274 (effective 10/1/07).
    Limited Utility Allowance (LUA) – Allowed for a household that incurs expenses for at least two separate utilities other than heating and cooling are eligible for a LUA.. The LUA allowance is $79 (effective 10/1/07).
    Telephone Utility Allowance (TUA) - A household that is not eligible for the SUA or LUA but incurs a telephone expense or in its absence an equivalent form of communication, is eligible to receive a telephone deduction. The TUA allowance is unchanged and remains $20 (effective 11/01/06).
    Dependent Care – The actual cost, not exceeding the maximum dependent care deduction, for care of a child or other dependent. Up to $200 per month for the cost of dependent care for a child, under 2 years of age and up to $175 per month for each other dependent can be deducted.
    Medical Deduction – The portion of medical expenses, excluding special diets, in excess of the allowable amount of $35 per household per month (incurred by any household member who is elderly or disabled).
    Exempt Income

    In-Kind Benefits – Any gain or benefit that is not in the form of money (i.e., meals, clothing, housing provided by the employer, etc.)
    Vendor Payments – Money paid to a third party for a household expense by a person or organization outside of the household.
    Deferred Educational Loans
    Grants and Scholarships
    Cash donations from a charitable organization of not more than $300 in a calendar quarter
    Income received too infrequently/irregularly to be reasonably anticipated but not more than $30 in a quarter.

    Reporting Changes
    Food Stamp recipients must notify their local County Welfare Department about changes in their income or other circumstances....

    A resource is something the household can draw upon or sell for financial assistance. Resource limits are $2,000 for all households except those that have a member who has a disability or who is 60 years of age or older. These households can have up to $3,000 in resources. Any countable resource will be added to the household's resource limit when making an eligibility determination. Types of Resources

    Liquid Resources – Includes all funds readily available to the household such as cash on hand, money in checking or savings accounts, savings certificates, trust deeds, notes receivable, stocks, or bonds, non-recurring lump sum payments (which includes retroactive payments, funds held in an individual retirement accounts (IRA) and funds held in accessible Keogh plans).
    Non-Liquid Resources – Includes personal property, buildings, land, recreational properties, and any other property. The value of non-exempt resources shall be its equity value, which is the fair market value less encumbrances.
    Excluded Resources – Resources which are excluded are the home and surrounding property, vehicles, household goods, personal effects, resources with an equity value of $1500 or less (excluding financial instruments), and resources with a cash value that is not accessible to the household (such as irrevocable trust funds, security deposits on rental property, etc.)

    Work Requirements
    All able-bodied persons (ages 18-49) without dependents must work 20 hours per week (monthly average 80 hours) or participate 20 hours per week in an approved work activity or do workfare, or else get only 3 months of Food Stamps out of a 36-month period. There are some exceptions so contact your local County Welfare Department to find out if you are eligible.

    •  High Ideals, Low Pay (0+ / 0-)

      Hi SingleVoter. I thought from your comment that this study (download .pdf) by the National Economic Development & Law Center might be of interest to you. The NEDLC study is the basis for the statistic that 96% of UC service workers are income eligible for at least one of the following forms of public assistance: food stamps, WIC, and childcare and public housing subsidies.

Subscribe or Donate to support Daily Kos.

  • Recommended (141)
  • Community (60)
  • Baltimore (45)
  • Bernie Sanders (36)
  • Civil Rights (35)
  • Culture (27)
  • Elections (21)
  • Freddie Gray (21)
  • Law (20)
  • Economy (20)
  • Racism (20)
  • Education (20)
  • Hillary Clinton (19)
  • Labor (18)
  • Rescued (18)
  • Media (16)
  • Politics (16)
  • Environment (15)
  • 2016 (15)
  • Texas (15)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site