View Diary: "They have to follow orders": Part II (26 comments)

•  Nice to know that (1+ / 0-)
    MotleyPatriot

I and presumably others are 'dummies':)

Just to give you some insight, "Military commanders fear a "congressional inquiry" more than anything because that means somebody who isn't part of the system is now looking into what they are doing," is true sometimes, but that is usually not the case.  In my experience, most 'Congressionals' do not actually involve allegations of misconduct but actually relate to mundane day-to-day events.  Things like, 'I should be promoted, and I was not,' or 'I don't think I am being fed enough,' or 'The barracks was too cold the last two nights,' etc.  (And yes, of allegations of actual misconduct, there are some that are legitimate, though not most.)

What is most dreaded by military commanders is the absolute waste of time in making formal reply to these 'Congressionals', the fact that every single one requires a very formal reply whether there is any legitimate basis for it or not.

OMO.  Cheers:)

Life is not a 'dress rehearsal'!

by wgard on Wed Jul 23, 2008 at 11:18:58 PM PDT

•  no... not you (0+ / 0-)

but there were two others who were...

Our shop in Turkey had a congressional put forth.  The Captain and SMSgt were in fucking fits... berating everyone for even THINKING to make a congressional... and running around in total fear.

cheers!!

The "rule of law"; it applies to you and me, but not the rich, the Republican or the celebrity. Welcome to America!

by MotleyPatriot on Wed Jul 23, 2008 at 11:24:28 PM PDT

•  P.S. (1+ / 0-)
      MotleyPatriot

Another thing that tends to irritate commanders is that most 'Congressionals' originate with complaints, founded or not, made directly to Congressmen or Senators or their staffs... without ever having been made known to the chain of command, which is, IMO, always the first line of remediation.  If the remediation is unsatisfactory, even if that is nothing more than an explanation to the complainant, and the complainant still has the option of initiating a 'Congressional'... but the chain of command should be given first option to resolve the issue at hand at the lowest level possible.

Life is not a 'dress rehearsal'!

by wgard on Wed Jul 23, 2008 at 11:25:41 PM PDT

•  and all that is true... (0+ / 0-)

but, the enlisted know, as in the case of the 19 Reservists, that getting a congressional involved helps even the field real quick.

by MotleyPatriot on Wed Jul 23, 2008 at 11:29:06 PM PDT

•  But (and I have read of the incident), (0+ / 0-)

did they first seek relief through their chain of command?  (That I do not know, so I am asking.)  And if the chain of command does not respond, for even more immediate action, there is always the IG... so why not that route?  (Asking here if you know... and yes, sadly, 'Congressionals' are sometimes the last avenue available, but that is rarely the case.)

Life is not a 'dress rehearsal'!

by wgard on Wed Jul 23, 2008 at 11:36:23 PM PDT

•  and I don't know either (0+ / 0-)

I'm PRETTY sure they did bring it up the chain to some point since it was the NCO who instigated it.

Did they go IG?  I don't know.

I do know that when the shit hit the fan, the made SURE that the families got a congressional in order, and, leadership ran real quick when it hit the media.

by MotleyPatriot on Wed Jul 23, 2008 at 11:38:46 PM PDT