View Diary: McCain lies, contradicts himself on Cross story.  With evidence.   (110 comments)

•  Thank you, Brother. (3+ / 0-)

Now I'm gonna have to wear out my google button trying to determine the size of this unknown to me Christian population.

Change is inevitable. Change for the better is a full time job. Adlai E. Stevenson

by DaNang65 on Sun Aug 17, 2008 at 02:53:38 PM PDT

•  I'm in the Vietnamese language wiki right now (2+ / 0-)
      Throwing Stones, DaNang65

St Joseph's cathedral in Hanoi has apparently been continuously active. Hoa Binh province, as I recall, was nearly 100% Catholic in 1954, so maybe I'll find some numbers there.

You kids behave or I'm turning this universe around RIGHT NOW! - god

by Clem Yeobright on Sun Aug 17, 2008 at 02:55:46 PM PDT

•  I don't know for sure, but (0+ / 0-)

you may.  Would there be less people of the Catholic faith in the N. Vietnamese army?  Would there be a screening process?

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music. - Aldous Huxley

by Throwing Stones on Sun Aug 17, 2008 at 02:59:30 PM PDT

•  The draft was comprehensive. (1+ / 0-)
          Throwing Stones

Can you imagine the size of the US Catholic church if we had handed out 4-A's to all Catholics? LOL

You kids behave or I'm turning this universe around RIGHT NOW! - god

by Clem Yeobright on Sun Aug 17, 2008 at 03:05:30 PM PDT

•  thanks n/t (1+ / 0-)
            Clem Yeobright

by Throwing Stones on Sun Aug 17, 2008 at 03:09:56 PM PDT

•  Addendum: I meant 4F of course (0+ / 0-)

IV-A is, I believe, what I was classifed after discharge.  I did no active reserve time, although a friend who got home 6 months before I did had to do his whole 3 years.  I just got a letter on the 6th anniversary of induction telling me ... whatever. (And maybe that's when the IV-A came, if it was IV-A)

You kids behave or I'm turning this universe around RIGHT NOW! - god

by Clem Yeobright on Sun Aug 17, 2008 at 03:44:04 PM PDT

•  No, I meant in the N. Vietnamese army. (0+ / 0-)

What do you know about screening of N. Vietnamese soldiers as it pertains to religion.  Like, would a guard be more likely to be screened than an army regular?

by Throwing Stones on Sun Aug 17, 2008 at 03:48:19 PM PDT

•  My first reply was to you. (0+ / 0-)

The draft, AFAIK, was comprehensive, and it only makes sense if you imagine what the effect would have been of granting deferments to Catholics, there or here.

The addendum was in response to my own failed memory thinking IV-A was IV-F. I had a similar experience yesterday not remembering if we carried PRC-10 or PRC-25 radios; I went with the prick-25 but always wonder if someone would jump on it.

If you want to know if someone was in VN (maybe Korea or Germany as well, I don't know), ask him when was his PCOD.

You kids behave or I'm turning this universe around RIGHT NOW! - god

by Clem Yeobright on Sun Aug 17, 2008 at 03:59:12 PM PDT

•  From your debriefing experience (2+ / 0-)
        Clem Yeobright, Throwing Stones

did you get a sense that Catholic's in the NVA were trusted with positions as sensitive, say, as guarding American prisoners?
        Or were they more analogous to Japanese-Americans in the U.S. Army, fit for cannon fodder in Sicily but (I write this without knowing, but I'd be willing to borrow money to bet)not for example, guarding the Manhattan Project. That example overstates my case, but I believe you understand the question I'm getting at.

by DaNang65 on Sun Aug 17, 2008 at 03:11:22 PM PDT

•  Gotta pass on the numbers (2+ / 0-)
          Throwing Stones, DaNang65

I can't find the numbers in Vietnamese wikipedia, although it does say that there were 33 individual Catholic bishops between 1945 and 1975 'in both halves'.  There are pages for many individual churches and cathedrals but, again, no numbers of communicants, and no indication that they have ever been inactive. Maybe the Vatican archives would be a better place to research the relationship with the 'national' Catholic church. (I did find a note under 'Religious Directorate' that today bishops are appointed in consultation with the government.)

It's a long time ago, but my recollection is that your questions were not really relevant, in that religious practice in NVN was constrained but never forbidden and that there was no discimination of the sort you describe. I can't remember ever hearing of Catholic chaplains, but neither of Buddhist chaplains or any others, which seems to make sense.

You kids behave or I'm turning this universe around RIGHT NOW! - god