View Diary: 1980 Redux (193 comments)

•  Sure that explains FISA (3+ / 0-)
    host, rubine, trev lawrence

Integrity!  He's a politician, a center-right politician that is by far the best of the alternatives right now, but I hope very much that we get something much more substantial than an "Obama revoulution"  I think that is just marketing bullshit and has nothing to do with anything revolutionary, any more than the Reagan revolution did.

"I said, 'Wait a minute, Chester, you know I'm a peaceful man.'" Robbie Robertson

by NearlyNormal on Sun Aug 03, 2008 at 12:44:28 PM PDT

•  Don't vote for him then. (1+ / 0-)
      mdmslle

Nader's running again.

May your entire existence be one sensuous, frolic-filled experience lived in defiance of care.

by Fonsia on Sun Aug 03, 2008 at 01:11:26 PM PDT

•  Don't be any more of a shithead than you can help (2+ / 1-)
        IvanR, host
        Hidden by:
        DemBrock

Didn't you read the part where I said he was the best of the alternatives?  Or maybe you are one of those that think he's the best possible candidate and he's the new Lincoln, FDR, RFK all wrapped up in one and can't be criticized without you rushing to his defense with your idiocy flashing in the wind.  Fuck off, and don't tell me who to vote for or not to vote for.  Oh, and Nader would have been a better candidate if you actually wanted a better America.

by NearlyNormal on Sun Aug 03, 2008 at 02:21:30 PM PDT

•  chill (1+ / 0-)
          jfdunphy

opinions are like assholes... everyone has one.

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." - Groucho Marx

by Greg Dworkin on Sun Aug 03, 2008 at 02:25:04 PM PDT

•  Huh? What an odd reaction. (0+ / 0-)

I didn't include any opinion in my reply to your comment.

Actually, as I wrote it I was thinking that if you feel that way about Obama, you shouldn't vote for him. Nader might be a good choice for you.

Jeez. Projecting much?

by Fonsia on Sun Aug 03, 2008 at 06:57:36 PM PDT

•  Ought to vote for Nader (0+ / 0-)

When he doesn't have a chance is a pretty stupid thing to say, especially when my initial statement is clear that Obama is the best of the viable choices.  I think you are the one projecting, any criticism, rather anything less than fawning adulation and you get your snide, "vote for Nader" comment out.  I think that is truly bullshit, its the snide, arrogant attitude that is about the only thing that can bring this election home to the goopers.

by NearlyNormal on Mon Aug 04, 2008 at 09:06:08 AM PDT

•  How is it snide? (0+ / 0-)

I have one good friend who is voting Nader because he's closer to her principles. I have no problem with that. Standing on principle is a good thing.

Anyway, Bob Barr is going to cancel out the Nader votes this season, so it really is an option even if you look at things pragmatically.

Take a look at the tone of your posts, fellow Kossack. One of us is actively hostile, and one isn't.

by Fonsia on Mon Aug 04, 2008 at 10:47:03 AM PDT

•  Calling Obama "center-right"... (0+ / 0-)

is laughable. He may have a few centrist positions, but he has consistently been in the low 90s in progressive ratings over his Senate years.

"The only thing I would trust Dick Cheney on is if I had a dead hooker in my hotel room." --Jon Stewart

by DemBrock on Sun Aug 03, 2008 at 03:38:51 PM PDT

•  Calling Obama "center-left", is a sign of ignor- (1+ / 0-)
        NearlyNormal

ance....

Hasn't it occured to you that Obama is an acceptable candidate for the top ten percent in the US who control 70 percent of all privately held wealth? Is Obama really the best that the bottom 50 percent of Americans can wish for, the ones who own just 2-1/2 percent of total US wealth?

Obama is "put up", as a crumb to keep about 2/3 of us from doing what we ought to doing, taking to the streets, in constant, and unwavering protests!

This is what "center-left" political beliefs brought about:

US GINI= 45 France GINI= 28

let's do a French checklist:

Super strong currency? Check!
        Near Balanced trade, despite strong currency? Check!
        World Class Universal Healthcare, vs. illness expenses related US bankruptcies? Check!

Six percent national poverty rate, vs. 12 percent in US? Check!

Higher domestic reinvestment rate in France vs. US? Check!

Impressively lower infant mortality at birth rate in France vs, US? Check!

Living minimum wage level? $13.00 vs. $6.55....you decide

Mandatory minimum employer paid vacation time: France; five weeks, US= zero

Most productive nation, per hours worked? France

Most popular foreign tourist destination, despite population less than 1/3 of US level? France!

France unemployment 8.3 percent, vs, 5.7 percent US, Do the working poor in the US, live less affluently than the unemployed do, in France?

Employer paid pensions, early retirement? France? Check! US...not so much...

Nearly all residents documented and or citizens? France? Check! US= Who knows????

Generous government paid living stipend, and or unemployment benefits, union representation for workers and protections against arbitrary job dismissal? France? Check! US....not so much....

So....what am I missing? What is not to like, vs, where we are in the US, and where we are heading? Will wealth be more equitably distributed here, two years from now, if home prices decline another 15 percent, and all but the wealthiest ten percent, having the bulk of their net worth embedded in the value their residence, as US census surveys seem to indicate where we sub top tenners have most of our wealth "stored"?

•  we should all move to France (1+ / 0-)
          host

or, if we can't, at least do our best to make the US more like them

•  Well, that's America for you. (1+ / 0-)
          quotemstr

We have two ideological choices for President: one Center-Right and the other Barking-Mad-Fundie-Batshit-Crazy Right. What's considered wildly liberal here is perhaps centrist at best over there.

Perhaps someday we'll aspire to the best of what France has to offer. But, it will take a while for attitudes to change.

Obama may not be our Savior. But, at least he's a step in the right direction.

I'm a bear of very little brain. (With apologies to A. A. Milne)

by Arnie on Sun Aug 03, 2008 at 08:15:16 PM PDT

•  Wow, no kidding (0+ / 0-)

and being left of the US senate makes you a center-left politician?  I ought to give you back your donut just for grins.

by NearlyNormal on Mon Aug 04, 2008 at 09:08:24 AM PDT