View Diary: Sibel Edmonds Case: FBI files "formal complaint" with Sunday Times (116 comments)

•  Who can you believe? (11+ / 0-)

Rove/Cheney or your lying eyes?

Wynton Marsalis:"Blues never lets tragedy have the last word."

by skywriter on Mon Aug 18, 2008 at 08:12:10 AM PDT

•  So, let's see... (8+ / 0-)

Lukery's diaries.
      My research papers for international relations classes.
      Vanity Fair.
      I'm sorry, this crucial episode in American history needs to catch on in America.
      For a country that thrives on sex, corruption and drama in the media, you would think Sibel Edmonds would get more play.
      Truth seeps in the American media at the speed of molasses.
      Truth seeps in to the American consciousness at about half that speed.

Montesquieu and Locke are rolling in their graves right now...

by Mannabass on Mon Aug 18, 2008 at 09:20:45 AM PDT

•  or even worse (10+ / 0-)

they need 4 or 5 sources to report the OPPOSITE of what you have just seen with your own eyes.

"And if my thought-dreams could be seen They'd probably put my head in a guillotine" Bob Dylan

by shaharazade on Mon Aug 18, 2008 at 10:13:49 AM PDT

•  FBI is good at bringing in 'voluntary surrenders' (2+ / 0-)
      luckylizard, GrouchoKossak

that was a guffaw as well

Yee Haa isn't a foreign policy.

by KenBee on Mon Aug 18, 2008 at 11:59:54 AM PDT

•  el Baradei broke Niger Forgeries at UN !! (9+ / 0-)

according to Lauria

Lauria: There's a good example, Scott, because I was at the UN that day, and I went into the public gallery of the security council. it was like an arena before a bullfight or a big boxing match - it was an incredible atmosphere there, and Powell made his performance, and afterwards, el-Baradei and Blix spoke, and they ripped apart - in diplomatic terms - what he said. But the next day you wouldn’t know that reading the Washington Post and other American papers - they thought it was a convincing performance! It was absolute crap.

Horton: I’ve got to tell you Joe, I had no idea until just now that el-Baradei and Blix both testified after Powell that day. That day? I'm just learning that now for the first time!

Lauria: Well it's a Security Council meeting and everybody got to speak, and they got to speak, and a month or so later, they made a comment about a forged letter from Niger about Saddam buying nuclear material from Niger - and this was broken in the Security Council - and I remember going up to a CNN correspondent and a British Mission spokeswoman and said 'Did you just hear what El-Baradei just said? He just said that it was a forged letter!' And she said 'That's hardly going to make the headlines tomorrow' and then of course we know what happened when Joe Wilson finally wrote about that. So there's so much stuff at the UN, and having been a reporter at the UN for almost 20 years now, I know how hard it to get editors, especially in the US, to be interested in what the UN is saying. There's just this dismissive view of the place.

Horton: Well, what's funny too is back to 2003, when the Joe Wilson thing came out, it was old news to me, because when El-Baradei had mentioned that he and his team had debunked the Niger-uranium forgeries in 3 minutes using the Google search engine, that was - I don’t know if it was the very top headline - but that made big headlines at antiwar.com which is where I go for my news every day, and so this was a big part of the narrative to me, that that had already been debunked - even though it had apparently passed everybody else by, almost.

Did I miss that at the time as well, did we, I always thought Joe Wilson exposed this...wait, the US media failed to pick this up...as did the blogostanians? Oof.

I'm always the last to know...this Scott Horton is the antiwar radio Horton, not the Other Scott Horton who writes for Harper's and has a blog called No Comment.
       Here's Scott Horton interviewing the Other Scott Horton heh.

Yee Haa isn't a foreign policy.

by KenBee on Mon Aug 18, 2008 at 12:26:11 PM PDT

•  ElBaradei's statement to the UN & its timing (4+ / 0-)

Excerpt from IAEA's site, ELBaradei's March 7, 2003, statement to the UN Security Council (emphasis added):

Based on thorough analysis, the IAEA has concluded, with the concurrence of outside experts, that these documents - which formed the basis for the reports of recent uranium transactions between Iraq and Niger - are in fact not authentic. We have therefore concluded that these specific allegations are unfounded. However, we will continue to follow up any additional evidence, if it emerges, relevant to efforts by Iraq to illicitly import nuclear materials.

On March 9, 2003, Secretary of State Colin Powell acknowledged that the documents might be fake -- from CNN (emphasis added):

Both Powell and Rice were asked about the allegation last week by Mohamed ElBaradei, director general of the International Atomic Energy Agency, that the United States had supplied forged documents to support its contention that Iraq had attempted to acquire uranium from Niger in breach of U.N. sanctions.

"It was the information that we had. We provided it. If that information is inaccurate, fine," Powell said on NBC's "Meet the Press."

"We don't believe that all the issues surrounding nuclear weapons have been resolved [in Iraq]," he said.

On March 19, 2003, the U.S. invasion of Iraq began.

On May 1, 2003, George W. Bush stood before the Mission Accomplished banner on the USS Abraham Lincoln.

On July 6, 2003, the New York Times published Amb. Joe Wilson's "What I Didn't Find in Africa."

"Injustice wears ever the same harsh face wherever it shows itself." - Ralph Ellison

by KateCrashes on Mon Aug 18, 2008 at 01:02:10 PM PDT

•  is this timeline correct? (1+ / 0-)
          Terra Mystica

Powell speech at UN Feb 5, 2003
           and was this March 7, 2003 the first time el Baradei said this
          and Joe Wilson's op ed July 6, 2003?

Was there any time before that in an interview perhaps where Wilson said that?

If so, we and the press missed it the first and most important time.

Thanks Kate.
           I guess my question is now did 'we' miss this in the blogs?

I only knew it when emptywheel and others started reporting about the Wilsons, but that's just me.

Yee Haa isn't a foreign policy.

by KenBee on Mon Aug 18, 2008 at 01:41:59 PM PDT

•  We need to develop a timeline with dates, names, (1+ / 0-)
          KenBee

lies, crimes, and cover ups.

Then we can see that it's a relatively small group of crooks, who are causing all of the coups, wars, mayhem, and robbing us blind.

•  LOL (2+ / 0-)
      Dave925, JG in MD

What he forgot to mention is that half of the sources have to tell "one side of the story" and the other half has to tell "the other side of the story." So we can make sure everything is all "fair and balanced."

Vote for Senator Badass -- because we can't afford four more years of President Dumbass.

by GrouchoKossak on Mon Aug 18, 2008 at 01:33:43 PM PDT