View Diary: Sorry Fellow Kossaks, But It Was Freepers Who First Spotted McCain's Plagiarism (255 comments)

•  It's the perfect, one-size-fits-all fundie... (7+ / 0-)

...heartstring-tugger.

A cross in the dirt. No real context. Nothing about Christ's teachings about caring for the poor (<$5M/yr.). Nothing about Christ's life. Just a sad allusion to his torture and death.</p>

It's the fundie Rorschach. Guaranteed to get you where you're gotten, if you've been conditioned to get gotten by Christian symbology. After that, the sky's the limit.

Do you associate Christ with helping the poor? McCain is compassionate. Do you associate Christ with Aryan brotherhood? McCain just clinched the white hood demographic. Do you associate Christ with the numbing, pain-killing effect of zoning out at chapel or mass? McCain is your heroin. Are you Methodist, Catholic, Baptist, Episcopalian, Lutheran, etc., etc.? Glory Hallelujah, a cross in the dirt's got you covered.

Isn't it a good feeling when you see the paper in the morning, it says 'Axe Slayer Kills 19' and you say, "They can't pin that one on me!" - Jean Shepherd

by razajac on Mon Aug 18, 2008 at 05:39:01 AM PDT

•  hey--don't malign us Episcopalians (0+ / 0-)

we are in trouble for NOT being fundy enough to suit the fundies!

Politics is like driving. To go backward, put it in R. To go forward, put it in D.
      78 days until the '08 elections. Let's paint the country BLUE!

by TrueBlueMajority on Mon Aug 18, 2008 at 01:35:32 PM PDT

•  LOL! Sure. But... (0+ / 0-)

...I'm sure there were more than a few Episcopalians who were touched by McCain's story.

That's my point.

Though I guess I do see your point as well. My statement broad-brushstrokes all the faithful as suckers.

Sorry!

by razajac on Tue Aug 19, 2008 at 03:21:44 AM PDT

•  no harm no foul (0+ / 0-)

i'd be touched by the story too if I believed it were true

76 days until the '08 elections. Let's paint the country BLUE!

by TrueBlueMajority on Wed Aug 20, 2008 at 05:11:01 PM PDT

•  I've always felt that one of the ironies of... (1+ / 0-)
            TrueBlueMajority

...right wing folks was that they're really more like hippies than the hippies were.

People used to tell me I was some kind of exemplar of the philosophy of wishful thinking; the way I wanted the world to be was sort of how I expected the world to actually be; and I acted accordioningly.

And now--what with the IOKIYAR effect running beyond all reason and churched people blithely taking stories of crosses scratched in the dirt as proof positive of both faith and character--these phlizzy-headed wackos make me look like a hard-bitten solipsist.

Didn't Reagan/Bush hold one of their conventions in Detroit? Way back then, my sister-in-law came to visit us in Lansing, and brought her boyfriend along. He told us about one day when he happened to be in the district where the conventioneers were rolling into town.

He said it was like a fairy carnival. A bus was going by, and a fat, WASPish head was hanging out the window, and the guy has this spaced-out, blissful look on his face, chanting "Reagan Bush! Reagan Bush! Reagan Bush!..." like some kind of purple haze astral surfer!

My sister-in-law's boyfriend was really struck by this; and we both had a good laugh over his description.

Nice guy! I wonder where he is today?

by razajac on Thu Aug 21, 2008 at 03:04:14 AM PDT

•  purple haze astral surfer--good one (0+ / 0-)

republicans do create their own reality...

We're an empire now, and when we act, we create our own reality. And while you're studying that reality -- judiciously, as you will -- we'll act again, creating other new realities, which you can study too, and that's how things will sort out. We're history's actors . . . and you, all of you, will be left to just study what we do.

76 days until the '08 elections. Let's paint the country BLUE!

by TrueBlueMajority on Thu Aug 21, 2008 at 06:49:48 AM PDT