View Diary: The Bush Administration: McCain Was NOT Tortured (Per Andrew Sullivan)--UPDATE with DIGG (317 comments)

•  Found it! Full text! (0+ / 0-)

Sorry about the freerepublic.com reference. The Times link has expired.

And here's the full text of Anthony Lewis's column.
    referred to above.

As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

by ticket punch on Tue Aug 19, 2008 at 07:36:29 PM PDT

•  Read what he's been saying since 2001 (1+ / 0-)
      HeyMikey

People change, y'know.  They evolve -- or are you a creationist?

Listen, nowadays you have to think like a hero -- just to behave like a merely decent human being.

by caul on Tue Aug 19, 2008 at 10:19:53 PM PDT

•  I'll know he's changed when he takes it back. (0+ / 0-)

Apologies are not hard. David Brock made one. He's a better man that Andrew Sullivan currently has any intention of being.

As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

by ticket punch on Tue Aug 19, 2008 at 10:43:56 PM PDT

•  He's taken it back repeatedly. (1+ / 0-)
          caul

A quick Google found the NY Times link that you said was his "latest word" -- it's from October 2001:

Sullivan has, for several years now, said quite candidly that he was WRONG on the war, WRONG to trust the Bush administration. His position on The Surge is pretty much identical to Obama's: while he's happy that things are somewhat better in Iraq, that doesn't retroactively convert an unjustified invasion into a good idea.

I challenge you to read andrewsullivan.com for a week, then report back.

BTW, love your signature line. I'm 47, was a "WKRP in Cincinatti" fan as a teen, saw the original broadcast.

-4.25, -4.87 "If the truth were self-evident, there would be no need for eloquence." -- Cicero

by HeyMikey on Wed Aug 20, 2008 at 06:03:24 AM PDT

•  Read it again. That's not an apology. (0+ / 0-)

All I read is parsing. Your champion cares more about himself than he will ever care about anything you stand for.

David Brock apologized. And then he atoned. Time for this despicable creature to do the same.

As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

by ticket punch on Wed Aug 20, 2008 at 06:23:51 AM PDT

•  The link wasn't to an apology. (0+ / 0-)

The link was to the Oct 2001 (actually written 9/29/01) piece you originally excerpted. Sullivan has, MANY times in the last several years, admitted he was dead wrong in the lead-up to the Iraq war.

by HeyMikey on Wed Aug 20, 2008 at 10:06:54 AM PDT

•  Exactly what I was thinking. And Ballon Juice? (1+ / 0-)
        HeyMikey

I knew that he was right of center, conservative with libertarian leanings, when I first started reading him when it was andrewsullivan.com. Soon afterward his blog was on The Atlantic and it is so eclectic. And I am also Catholic. The back and forth on atheism with Sam Harris was an education. I have found the most inspiring quotes from Merton on his blog. He uses the term Christianist to describe the mind-meld between evangelicals and the Republican Party. He appreciates the separation of church and state, knowing the bloody history of those conflicts in his native England.

He wrote The Conservative Soul in 2006. It was the beginning of his realization that the pack of hyenas that make up the modern Republican Party are nothing like Goldwater or Burke conservatives. He admitted that he was totally wrong on the war and felt especially betrayed. Most of the text used against him here is seven years old.

I think people can, and do, evolve in their political philosophy. Look at what has happened to John Cole at balloon-juice.com. He went for  being one of the rare registered Republicans in WV to an Independent. Then he completely jumped ship and registered Democrat though sometimes he would like us to stop being so stupid. I had not read any of his early stuff, but he is a regular for me now. David Catania the DC councilman, and also a gay man, left the Republican Party after 2004. The party that treated him as second class still wanted him to be a fund raiser. That was his last straw.

Pray for the dead and fight like hell for the living~~Mother Jones

by CA Berkeley WV on Tue Aug 19, 2008 at 10:45:25 PM PDT

• Media (27)
  • Barack Obama (24)
  • Law (23)
  • Labor (23)
  • Spam (21)
  • Education (19)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (19)
  • International (18)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site