View Diary: The AP is so concerned, they're creating stories (130 comments)

•  You guys really do whine a lot... (2+ / 0-)
    tmo, slksfca

Hate to say it, but...

I worked as a volunteer on the Perot campaign in 1992.  Compared to the treatment we got, the press is falling all over Obama.

For somebody really wantint to diss Democrats, the writer screwed up by including this quote, which may be the best thing I've ever heard coming out of Pelosi:

"You know what? This is like a yesterday room," she told the reporters. "We are going into the future. What did I walk into, a time capsule?"

A very stylish statement, I thought.  Blunt, yet disarming.

Free speech? Yeah, I've heard of that. Have you?

by dinotrac on Mon Aug 25, 2008 at 03:28:22 PM PDT

•  thanks for the joke (5+ / 0-)

"Donde estan los ladrones? " -Shakira

by delphil on Mon Aug 25, 2008 at 03:32:43 PM PDT

•  Ah, I see. You simply lack perspective. nt (0+ / 0-)

Free speech? Yeah, I've heard of that. Have you?

by dinotrac on Mon Aug 25, 2008 at 03:34:44 PM PDT

•  I admit it is hard to be objective (0+ / 0-)

I sure hope you are right, though.

How do you feel they are treating McCain?

Never give up! Never surrender!

by oscarsmom on Mon Aug 25, 2008 at 04:02:07 PM PDT

•  Hard to tell just yet. (0+ / 0-)

Obama's been in the news a lot more.
            For better or for worse, the Obama-Hillary drama created a much more compelling story than anything McCain has done.

I expect McCain to get friendly treatment up to a point.  He has a long history of talking with the press and treating them well.  Reporters are people,too, and they respond to that.

But -- the "I don't know how many houses I have" story should be a reminder that it only goes so far.

BTW -- Biden also has a great rapport with the press, so this could get interesting.

Free speech? Yeah, I've heard of that. Have you?

by dinotrac on Mon Aug 25, 2008 at 04:16:41 PM PDT

•  We Don't Want to Be Lied to by the Media (0+ / 0-)

if we are supposed to live in Democracy.  There is no religion higher than truth and we should demand it!
      On Meet the Press,Tom Brokaw asked Speaker Pelosi a question on the tighening of the race in which she responded:

"REP. PELOSI: it's a close poll in either way. But I'm very confident about Senator Obama's success because these polls are about likely voters. They're people who vote in the last two elections. Senator Obama has and Senator Clinton, too, has attracted millions more people to the political process, some who have never voted, some who haven't voted for a long time. So I don't think that the – I think it's a OK poll, he's ahead and that's good, but I think that his support is much stronger than that. I'm very confident about the success that we'll have in November, and then the success for jobs and health care and education in–come January." From MTP, 8/24/08

We must not give into panic, those of us who support Barack Obama. We must remain hopeful as his slogan reminds us. There are going to be pitfalls in the road our strength is in our confidence that we will overcome. As Rep. Jessie Jackson, Jr. stated today in regards to the Democratic Party - this is not a week to talk about losing, this is a week to talk about winning!

•  Absolutely, and you should demand (0+ / 0-)

truth.

But, face it, there are many truths to tell, not all of which will make you happy, not all of which will be told well.  Reporters are supposed to sniff out the stories you don't want told, not function as a PR staff.

The article in question didn't lie -- although the headline surely overstates the case.  All primary seasons leave a certain amount of friction between winners and losers.  That's natural and normal and it heals.

Free speech? Yeah, I've heard of that. Have you?

by dinotrac on Mon Aug 25, 2008 at 03:47:32 PM PDT

•  Uh, what? (0+ / 0-)

This comment sounds like a timewarp.  For my entire adult life, the media has operated solely on the basis of PR and Zing instead of on actual, factual, in-depth reporting.

Maybe in the 70s, but not now, chief.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.
          -Yogi Berra

by joehoevah on Mon Aug 25, 2008 at 04:06:10 PM PDT

•  Have you been asleep over the last ten years? (0+ / 0-)

I don't think the press was overly kind to Bill Clinton during the Monica days, and it sure hasn't cozied up to W.

Free speech? Yeah, I've heard of that. Have you?

by dinotrac on Mon Aug 25, 2008 at 04:18:09 PM PDT

•  No, I haven't been asleep... (0+ / 0-)

I think you're being more than a little tumid in your exaltation of our corporate press.  The mainstream media is broken, and no longer serves its purpose - if you don't accept that, then you are not really worth conversing with in the long term.

I don't have time to take you from point A to point X, I'm afraid.

-Yogi Berra

by joehoevah on Mon Aug 25, 2008 at 04:21:51 PM PDT

•  Ooh. Tumid. You must be smart. (0+ / 1-)
                Hidden by:
                joehoevah

Naah.
                Just a puffed-up twerp.

Free speech? Yeah, I've heard of that. Have you?

by dinotrac on Mon Aug 25, 2008 at 04:24:43 PM PDT

•  Limit the personal invective. (n/t) (0+ / 0-)

-Yogi Berra

by joehoevah on Mon Aug 25, 2008 at 04:43:12 PM PDT

•  Tumid is high praise? (0+ / 0-)

My response was appropriate on two levels:

1.  It was, more or less, a plain vernacular translation of tumid
                    1.  Somebody who uses gratuitously inserts such a term into the conversation is clearly ripe for puncture.

Free speech? Yeah, I've heard of that. Have you?

by dinotrac on Mon Aug 25, 2008 at 05:07:12 PM PDT