View Diary: Voting Impact: ABC Poll Says Moderates Choose Biden (246 comments)

•  More importantly, Obama can fill the interview (3+ / 0-)
    marysz, rockwilder, NThenUDie

vacuum. She needs to be on TV to be popular. Her appeal is almost exclusively based on her looks.

"They misunderestimated me." -- Vice President-Elect Sarah Palin, Nov. 5, 2008

by overlander on Fri Sep 05, 2008 at 06:14:09 AM PDT

•  disagree, her appeal to the middle is that she (3+ / 0-)

appears to be normal

•  shes small town (2+ / 0-)
        slinkerwink, peraspera

and her appeal is greatest for having a Down Syndrome baby: see poll.

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." - Groucho Marx

by Greg Dworkin on Fri Sep 05, 2008 at 06:16:49 AM PDT

•  Speaking of Which: (2+ / 0-)
          overlander, flight2q

I come from a small town, I can breathe in a small town...

her colorful family ("Track"? "Trig"?) aside, let us condsider:

Q   Which political entity has a larger population, the State of Alaska or the Town of Hempstead (it's on Long Island in New York)?

A   Alaska pop. about 680,000
              Town of Hempstead pop. about 765,000

thought experiments:

Which is harder to govern (granted that Alaska is larger but has a great deal more money than Hempstead)?  Who is more qualified to be Vice President, the Gov. of AK or the Hempstead County Executive, Thomas Suozzi?

papers are due by next Friday, in English and Latin.

•  I'm not saying she's pretty (1+ / 0-)
        Marc in KS

I'm saying people like to look at her more than they like to look at McCain or Biden. So yeah she's prettier than they are. I mean, I didn't get wood or anything like that watching her. I swear.

And if she looks normal, I'm still happy if she stays out of interviews and off of TV. That just means Obama and Biden can fill more air time.

"They misunderestimated me." -- Vice President-Elect Sarah Palin, Nov. 5, 2008

by overlander on Fri Sep 05, 2008 at 06:19:24 AM PDT

•  Until she's asked to speak about her (3+ / 0-)
        slinkerwink, oibme, Jiffylush

beliefs.  Then she's anything but normal.

They want her to be seen and not heard.  Typical patronistic Republican shit.

Another vice president who's a hunter. What could go wrong there?

Jay Leno

by Marc in KS on Fri Sep 05, 2008 at 06:28:29 AM PDT

•  It's obvious that-- (1+ / 0-)
          Marc in KS

They're worried about what she might say when she veers from prepared text, that she might reveal this gimmick of her nomination for what it is, and spill the beans on all her anti-woman, anti-family beliefs.

Is anyone else wondering if they might also be worried that she will over shadow McCain if she gets too much exposure?  That might be a factor in the media black out as well.

Turns out that talking about abstinence is a lot easier than practicing it.

by kayebee on Fri Sep 05, 2008 at 07:22:33 AM PDT

•  That's Funny ... (1+ / 0-)
        sapper

She appears to be normal.

Republicans can only keep up that Potemkin Village facade for so long.

The Republican brand: "Consequences, schmonsequences, as long as I'm rich"

by D in Northern Virginia on Fri Sep 05, 2008 at 07:03:34 AM PDT

•  They're pretty good at it. (1+ / 0-)
          maxzj05

Remember, 2000 Selection -- which shouldn't have wound down to that bullshit at all,

And the 2004 Selection -- another squeaker brought to you by micromanaging image refinery specialists.

Rebuplicans know insanely well how to squeak by with less. Let's keep that in mind.

"Half of the American people never read a newspaper. Half never vote for President. One hopes it is the same half." - Gore Vidal

by sapper on Fri Sep 05, 2008 at 07:37:31 AM PDT

•  It Reminds Me of the Film ... (0+ / 0-)

"Funny Farm," where Chevy Chase and his wife hand out Saturday Evening Post's featuring Norman Rockwell cover illustrations as part of their appeal to the citizens of Red Bud to "act normal."

The Republican brand: "Consequences, schmonsequences, as long as I'm rich"

by D in Northern Virginia on Fri Sep 05, 2008 at 08:45:00 AM PDT

•  Did she seem normal to you Wed. night? (0+ / 0-)

The ignorance of one voter in a democracy impairs the security of all - JFK- 5/18/63-Vanderbilt Univ.

by oibme on Fri Sep 05, 2008 at 09:27:39 AM PDT

•  Her Normalcy vs. Biden's (0+ / 0-)

I guess the thing to me is that I didn't have a clue who Biden was, other than from the primary debates.  Apparently everyone else on earth knew who he was I suppose, but when they talked about what makes him normal (because Barack specifically said "I chose him because...he's like you") it was not the same as what makes her normal.  She indeed lives a life much more like every one around here and I know that is why many where I live are avidly supporting her.  I think the normal route was a mistake for Democrats and now a lot of reeling is going on to find solid ground.  If there had been a calculating woman on the Democratic ticket, normalcy would not be an issue (because that is what Obama put on the table when he said that was why he chose Biden).  There is still time and that woman has already been "vetted" for the past 20 years or so...just saying.  When it comes down to it men think more logically, and they don't hold onto things, so a move is made and a reaction is garnered, it is done.  But women are cunning.  Logic may have told Obama that Biden would work, but cunning would have seen the emotional ramifications, which is part of what plays into the decision making of the demographic up for grabs because they are largely, uh, women.