View Diary: Whistleblower Says McCain Hid Wife's Drug Abuse with Update (219 comments)

•  This isn't about Cindy. (21+ / 0-)

It's about John McCain pressuring the DEA to leave her alone.

Go after him!

The Multinationals and the Religious Right have identical goals: Profit from war, ignorance and fear...and the GOP is their Party.

by dj angst on Thu Sep 11, 2008 at 11:10:02 AM PDT

•  Right. I'd hoped it wouldn't be about her (27+ / 0-)

And I'm the last person to fault someone for what happened to her regarding her addiction. (Although after it became public she wasn't exactly forthcoming... but that's the way it is with some addicts)

You're exactly right: This is about how John McCain saw his election chances slipping away even though he evidently knew about his wife's problems long before and did nothing... Once it affected HIM, he pushed her in front of the TV cameras to give a tearful confession.

But before that he tried to ruin a man's life by having him busted for "extortion" over this.

To me it's about McLame's lack of character, honesty and judgement.

It's also about our "justice" system. We have SO MANY PEOPLE IN JAIL for drug offenses - many of which were probably less severe than Cindy McCain's.

We "peons" must endure drug tests to get a job at Wal-Mart; John McCain doesn't have to take one to be POTUS.

I think ultimately it's also about hypocrisy and the "Two Americas" John Edwards spoke of.

This ain't no party. This ain't no disco. This ain't no foolin' around!

by Snud on Thu Sep 11, 2008 at 11:24:17 AM PDT

•  I went to school with a guy whose father (1+ / 0-)
        TheGreatLeapForward

had been a respected physician and had expected his son to follow in his steps.  He was in his father's office from time to time and the whole community knew him.  His father died suddenly and there were underprivileged people needing their meds/to be taken care of.  Everyone thought he was a doctor but no-go.  He wrote scripts.  Maybe in some drug's re-classification the use of the DEA number raised a red flag.  Despite this man coming from a wealthy background and there being a ton of character witnesses, the judge told him that by law he had to sentence him to prison time.  So, yeah, I thought of this guy when I read about Felonious Vico-Cindy's "sentencing."  I've written before that she still looks like she's getting high to me.

GOP Ticket '08: Mc and "Oh, Jeeze." Yup, yup!

by conlakappa on Thu Sep 11, 2008 at 12:51:32 PM PDT

•  To be honest... (0+ / 0-)

what he did was much worse than what Cindy McCain did. This man was writing scrips for other people without a medical license. He could have killed someone with his ignorance. Cindy was only in danger of killing herself.

"Give 'em Hell, Harry!"
          "I don't give them Hell. I just tell the truth about them and they think it's Hell."

by davewill on Thu Sep 11, 2008 at 01:09:02 PM PDT

•  Yes, he was engaging in criminal (2+ / 0-)
            Tamar, davewill

behavior.  I don't disagree.  He was refilling prescriptions.  Insurers don't allow for more than 30 day scripts and he was totally wrong to think he was helping anyone by writing them.  My point is still that the DEA number is supposed to sacrosanct.  Why have laws if there are asterices by them?

GOP Ticket '08: Mc and "Oh, Jeeze." Yup, yup!

by conlakappa on Thu Sep 11, 2008 at 01:25:41 PM PDT

•  Well, if you want to get philosophical (1+ / 0-)
              Josiah Bartlett

about it, I'm a big believer in discretion; both in prosecution and in sentencing. Yes, I know it invites corruption like may have happened with McCain, but lots of people who make mistakes deserve second chances.

Mandatory sentencing laws are one of the most backward steps we've ever taken in the criminal justice system.

"Give 'em Hell, Harry!"

by davewill on Thu Sep 11, 2008 at 01:32:49 PM PDT

•  Mandatory minimums, yes, (0+ / 0-)

especially as they were applied to distribution of rock v. powder cocaine.  That was just ridiculous.  Mandatory sentencing allows some discretion.  How that sentence is served is another discussion entirely.  Talk about breaking a public trust.  She's no different than your garden-variety junkie who gets hold of a scripts pad.

GOP Ticket '08: Mc and "Oh, Jeeze." Yup, yup!

by conlakappa on Thu Sep 11, 2008 at 01:37:11 PM PDT

•  to me it's more about how McCain's (1+ / 0-)
      TX Unmuzzled

ambition was put (and probably still is put) ahead of his wife ... there seems to be more than lack of respect in calling her a trollip and a c*nt going on here.

Passive agression or our right hostility here

If u will not vote for the Dem. nominee, no matter who that is, go apologize 2 the youth of this nation. U've helped put in "100 years of war no Choice McCain."

by Clytemnestra on Thu Sep 11, 2008 at 12:43:21 PM PDT