View Diary: Responding to a conservative uncle in Florida (my first diary!) (37 comments)

•  An excellent takedown (8+ / 0-)

The only sad part is that if your Florida Uncle is anything like my Florida Uncle, he'll never read any of it.  Oh well, at least we can entertain each other  . . . :)

•  Maybe it's better if he doesn't (2+ / 0-)
      sfgb, Fawkes

Due to the Backfire Effect.

I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction, of the Constitution. - Barbara Jordan

by Janet Strange on Thu Sep 18, 2008 at 01:00:37 AM PDT

•  he's actually a pretty cool guy... (13+ / 0-)

Navy vet, and was pissed about the Iraq war. Likes having these back and forths with me. I might actually be able to talk some sense into him. He sent an email about some Jane Fonda sensationalism once, and I found a page on Snopes debunking it. He sent my response to everyone he had sent the original email to and apologized...

OTOH, my gun shop-owning cousins, probably not so much.

"For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong." -- Mencken

by mlas on Thu Sep 18, 2008 at 01:09:13 AM PDT

•  Well done in confronting BS (5+ / 0-)

If we had done more of this eight years ago, and four years ago, the world would be a very different place today.

"Am I not destroying my enemies when I make friends of them?" - Abraham Lincoln

by LondonYank on Thu Sep 18, 2008 at 01:17:18 AM PDT

•  Since he is a veteran... (8+ / 0-)

Send him the compilation of McCain's voting record on veteran issues since 1990; he has voted against veterans at least 47 times.  The list is referenced by the bill number and the date of the vote.  If you can't find it, send me an email (addy in profile) and I will forward a copy that I saved.

My brother (who lives in an exclusive gated community in FL - read solid Republican neighborhood) was very similar, and I got tired of sending detailed responses to similar missives he forwarded.  I finally found and sent the list above, and he was shocked.

He now wears an Obama/Biden button.

I am a warrior for peace. And not a gentle man... Steve Mason, 1940-2005

by Wayward Wind on Thu Sep 18, 2008 at 01:43:50 AM PDT

•  How come.... (0+ / 0-)

the world's most powerful military force, with the ability to totally destroy anything moving on a conventional battlefield, is losing to third-world opponents armed with war-surplus ammunition and garage door openers?

Free markets would be a great idea, if markets were actually free.

by dweb8231 on Thu Sep 18, 2008 at 02:30:48 AM PDT

•  In part, same old story... (1+ / 0-)
            MKSinSA

The insurgents believe that they are fighting for something - to repel a foreign occupation (whether we acknowledge it or not), for internal power, other reasons which make sense only when viewed through their lenses,  while our guys are fighting for...wait, I lost track, what are we fighting for in Iraq this week?

In the early days of Vietnam (65-early 68) it was laughable that the US military would be defeated by a third rate power...after Tet of 68, no one was laughing any more, and we frantically searched for a way out while the NVA and the VC continued to fight for the same reason as they had always fought for...to rid their homeland of what they viewed as a foreign occupation.

I am a warrior for peace. And not a gentle man... Steve Mason, 1940-2005