View Diary: Why I Voted Against the Bailout (160 comments)

•  You finished, then? (1+ / 0-)
    LynneK

My point is that while my knowledge of this issue is imperfect, I am at least relying on the opinions of experts, and attempting to fill in my own gaps in knowledge.

You seem to be rigorously defending ignorant hysteria.

"As Putin rears his head and comes into the air space of the United States of America, where do they go? It's Alaska." - Sarah Palin

by The Termite on Mon Sep 29, 2008 at 03:11:03 PM PDT

•  Sigh (1+ / 0-)
      Akonitum

Over 100 economists have said that NOTHING should be done.  I don't particularly agree, but they're the experts, right?  I assume you won't post again until you can list 101 "experts" who agree with your position...

•  That's news to me (1+ / 0-)
        LynneK

Since I am open minded, and still trying to actually learn instead of demagogue people who don't agree with me, please pass along a link to the 100 economists' opinion so I can educate myself.

by The Termite on Mon Sep 29, 2008 at 03:18:45 PM PDT

•  The list of economists opposing the bill (1+ / 0-)
          MichiganGirl

as of Sept. 24 is here.

One important shortcoming of the writing of this bill, was that because it was framed in such urgent terms, there was inadequate opportunity for review and refinement -- or even for questioning basic assumptions. I believe that was intentional on the part of the administration, Paulson, and Bernenke.

"The most significant difference between now and a decade ago is the ... rapid erosion of spare capacities at critical segments of energy chains." Cheney, 2001

by Akonitum on Mon Sep 29, 2008 at 03:26:50 PM PDT

•  As of Sept 24 (1+ / 0-)
            LynneK

This bill did not exist on 9/24.  Three pages of Paulson's plan did.

If I were an economist, I'd have signed the same thing about the Paulson "plan."  Having just read the actual bill, if I were a signatory economist I'd ask to have my name removed lest it be misinterpreted as my stand on the bill.

by The Termite on Mon Sep 29, 2008 at 03:30:29 PM PDT

•  Yes. (0+ / 0-)

The next thing to ask oneself while reading the bill, is on what terms is it substantially different -- besides a page ratio of 110:3?

by Akonitum on Mon Sep 29, 2008 at 03:32:31 PM PDT

•  A few ways (1+ / 0-)
                LynneK

Massive oversight.

Golden parachute provision and undue profits provision.

Borrower relief (some, really a pittance).

Equity to taxpayers.

by The Termite on Mon Sep 29, 2008 at 03:43:24 PM PDT

•  I would say... (0+ / 0-)
                  1. Oversight was weak.
                  1. The golden parachute provision was weak.
                  1. Borrower relief was weak.
                  1. Equity to taxpayers was weak.

Almost laughable, if this weren't all so serious.

by Akonitum on Mon Sep 29, 2008 at 03:49:47 PM PDT