View Diary: Let's put the shoe on the other foot for a minute. (313 comments)

•  Answer: (9+ / 0-)

I would be pissed off and I would not support Obama if he ran smears against McCain that I knew were false. The ends do not justify the means.

McCain takes leading role in Wall Street crisis. World financial system implodes. Coincidence?

by edg on Tue Oct 07, 2008 at 03:48:02 PM PDT

•  Agreed (4+ / 0-)
      jvc, Vicky, popeinthepizza, msdrown

because the ends can only justify the means if there is integrity in the means.  I would be mortified if Obama's campaign had stooped to these levels.

Which is why I didn't support Senator Clinton.  Sorry about that, but she lost me at "shame on you Barack Obama"

Damn it. Enough. I've had enough. And boy, does that word enough look weird when you type it enough times.

by klnb1019 on Tue Oct 07, 2008 at 03:55:28 PM PDT

•  So you would rather have 100 years more of war (0+ / 0-)

than smear McCain?

I don't agree with these ethics.  The cost of losing the election is too great.

"I believe marriage should be a sacred institution between two unwilling teenagers." Tina Fey as Palin.

by fearisthemindkiller on Tue Oct 07, 2008 at 04:03:33 PM PDT

•  I understand the issue (2+ / 0-)
        RAST, popeinthepizza

but winning at all costs means that the administration is diminished from the get-go.  Which means it would be nearly impossible to get needed reforms passed.

I really believe that standing tall for principles will win this election.

by klnb1019 on Tue Oct 07, 2008 at 04:09:53 PM PDT

•  Not only diminished (2+ / 0-)
          klnb1019, popeinthepizza
          but would you have the same trust in Obama, in what he would do once elected, if he was already lying to the public with a false smear campaign.

I'd probably still vote for him, but it would be in a much more holding my nose, lesser of two evils kind of way.

The Empire never ended.

by thejeff on Tue Oct 07, 2008 at 04:23:55 PM PDT

•  I'd work to elect more dems to congress. (0+ / 0-)

It's up to them to stop the war. In the Constitution (I know, I know, it's an unfashionable relic now), Congress was given the power to declare war and rightly so. Presidents do not have that power and were not granted that power.

by edg on Tue Oct 07, 2008 at 05:22:59 PM PDT