View Diary: Democracy Corps Poll: Mountain States Swinging Blue (47 comments)

•  The missing key here? The Mormons. (3+ / 0-)
    Krush, dotalbon, strohdecaire
    In states with large LDS populations, Republicans remain strong. In states where LDS minorities have had an outsized influence on the state Republican organizations (Arizona, Colorado, California) those orgs have moved too far to the right, and the populace hasn't followed.
    Mormons are the most monolithic voting block in America by religion (even more then Southern Baptist) but their politics are proving toxic to their "gentile" neighbors.

I can get a straight job, I've done it before. I never minded working hard, It's who I'm working for.-Ms. Gillian Welch

by LeftCoastBreakdown on Wed Oct 29, 2008 at 03:14:07 PM PDT

•  Christians, in this state anyway (1+ / 0-)
      dotalbon
      Are just as monolithic

I don't understand why Christians hate Mormons

Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen

by Krush on Wed Oct 29, 2008 at 03:17:40 PM PDT

•  Not their anti-gay politics (1+ / 0-)
      strohdecaire

The Mormon Church has pumped $3 million dollars into the Yes on 8 campaign in just seven days. They're not pushing 8 as a religious issue but as a kid-protection issue.  That will resonate with voters.

If 8 does pass, you can be sure we'll see more of this LDS garbage in other states.

Electing a Republican is like hiring a carpenter who thinks hammers are evil.

by dotalbon on Wed Oct 29, 2008 at 03:20:53 PM PDT

•  I sense a backlash on Prop 8. (2+ / 0-)
        oceanview, dotalbon

There's been a lot of talk in California about this being a "mormon proposition". IT may very well blow up in their faces.

by LeftCoastBreakdown on Wed Oct 29, 2008 at 03:22:28 PM PDT

•  I live out here in Utah...... (1+ / 0-)
        Krush

.......and I have a NO on PROP 8 sign in my yard.....funny thing is, the vast majority of my neighbors know EXACTLY what it means......love it.

If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention...

by strohdecaire on Wed Oct 29, 2008 at 03:37:50 PM PDT

•  they are not all for prop 8 (0+ / 0-)

really. And Words in Action wrote a diary yesterday about the sl tribune reporting that the young Democrats at BYU (yes, you read that right, young dems at byu) have the SAME number of members now as the young republicans. so don't write Utah off forever. Also, the hispanic population is dramatically altering the demographics of utah. we may need a couple of more years, but we'll get there.

Word in Action diary on BYU dems

"McCain's bad judgment in choosing the inarticulate, insular and ethically challenged Palin disqualifies him for the presidency." SL Trib

by UTvoter on Wed Oct 29, 2008 at 04:17:20 PM PDT